• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Star Trek Technology

lou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
One thing I know, the holodeck is the least feasible.

This is not an accurate statement.

http://fusionfilter.com/?p=1702

Transporter technology is far more difficult to realize than a holographic enviroment. Then there is the whole aspect of building an anti matter powered engine. Even with the engine, you need a way to create a warp bubble to so that you can exceed C.

The idea behind the warp bubble is that mass is taken out of the equation, allowing velocity beyond C.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Subscribed.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you guys read Lawrence Krauss's The Physics of Start Trek? It's pretty interesting.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid I wondered how the backwards ass Klingons got cloaking technology before the Federation, only later did I realize they stole it.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Damn, why doesn't the feds get that ****?

Been watching TNG online from season 1 for the last 2 months. Up to season 5, just saw that one with the alien prisoner spirits that take over Data and Troi and whoever, good episode. When I watched the show as a kid I never realized how ****** everybody but picard and riker are at acting. Especially geordi, damn sucka.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lou
This is not an accurate statement.

http://fusionfilter.com/?p=1702

Transporter technology is far more difficult to realize than a holographic enviroment.

But the holodeck projections are tactile, and there is seemingly limitless space. It would work if the exploits were transmitted into the people's brains, ala Total Recall, but not as a physical space.

lou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
But the holodeck projections are tactile, and there is seemingly limitless space. It would work if the exploits were transmitted into the people's brains, ala Total Recall, but not as a physical space.

Look where we have come with aviation in just 100 years.

Give us 300 years to work on holographic projection enviroments and we'll be there.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Damn, why doesn't the feds get that ****?

Been watching TNG online from season 1 for the last 2 months. Up to season 5, just saw that one with the alien prisoner spirits that take over Data and Troi and whoever, good episode. When I watched the show as a kid I never realized how ****** everybody but picard and riker are at acting. Especially geordi, damn sucka.

There's an explanation for why the Feds never get a cloaking device (at least not until DS9). Evidently they made some treaty with the Romulans way back in the day, one of the conditions of which was an agreement by the Feds not to develop or adopt cloaking technology.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All I know is that I would pass the Kobayashi Maru test with flying colours.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
There's an explanation for why the Feds never get a cloaking device (at least not until DS9). Evidently they made some treaty with the Romulans way back in the day, one of the conditions of which was an agreement by the Feds not to develop or adopt cloaking technology.
I would never defer to those conditions. Those assholes get to zip around invisibly while my militarymen and citizens are none the wiser?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard

Eff that noise, Kirk and Spock made off like bandits with that tech back in the OS. It was laziness and sloppy writing that made everybody forget they had it.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
anyone seen an excellent documentary called "how william shatner changed the world"

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
Sorry to derail, but what does everyone think of Stargate tech vs Star Trek. Depending on the species we are comparing, sometimes Star trek wins (vs SG Earthlings) and sometimes they get creamed (vs the Ancients). However, I think I like the Earthlings in SG over those on Star Trek. In SG, the humans have no problem wiping out whole civilizations with nukes.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nerds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads