or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Epic Frustration
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Epic Frustration

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
I interviewed for a very prestigious, paid student co-op in computer science that pretty much guaranteed me a job after graduation. During the time I'm in school, they would pay me $13 an hour. I amazed all of my interviewers with my awesome talking skills and bagged the job in a week, phone call, orientation date, everything. They called me the next day to apologize for revoking the job offer even after I accepted it and posted all over facebook about it, and having about 40 people congratulate me. Why? I'm not a citizen of the fucking United States. They said apologetically that they would let me start as soon as I receive my citizenship, which will take 1-2 years to process. oooooof
post #2 of 25
Our jerbs is now safe from the CrazyJew.
post #3 of 25
Show them just how American you are...sue them.
post #4 of 25
Do you have a working visa? If not, this is not very surprising.
post #5 of 25
Hello, what did you expect?
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post
Hello, what did you expect?

+1

While I do feel bad for you, you should have checked on this before going down the line with interviews and whatnot. Don't assume that an employer here will hire internationals without work authorization, because surprisingly few actually will. It was a major point of frustration for my international peers in b-school, though at least the companies there had the good sense to post "we do not consider or sponsor non-work-authorized students" with their job listings.
post #7 of 25
It's sloppy that they didn't think about this before hiring you.
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard View Post
+1 While I do feel bad for you, you should have checked on this before going down the line with interviews and whatnot. Don't assume that an employer here will hire internationals without work authorization, because surprisingly few actually will. It was a major point of frustration for my international peers in b-school, though at least the companies there had the good sense to post "we do not consider or sponsor non-work-authorized students" with their job listings.
I completely agree.
post #9 of 25
It's actually b/c you are Jewish.
post #10 of 25
Is this one of your first successful interviews?

I am asking because the question "are you legally authorized to work in the US" is really common.
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I am asking because the question "are you legally authorized to work in the US" is really common.

^^^ This.
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Yes, I am a legal resident with a green card to work... I've been a resident for about fourteen years now. I had to be an actual citizen (which I could've been, if I applied earlier... you don't really think about this when you're a teenager), because it's a defense company. Funnily enough, the company is Canadian, and I am a Canadian citizen. But you have to be american.
post #13 of 25
I can see where you're frustrated, but I don't think it's unreasonable on the part of the company. It seems to me that, given the type of job, you'd have thought to ask this question at some point during the hiring process.

Either way, it sucks that you found out so late.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJew View Post
...it's a defense company. Funnily enough, the company is Canadian, and I am a Canadian citizen. But you have to be american.

post #15 of 25
I suggest you go shoe shopping as way to get over this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Epic Frustration