• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In London this weekend after several pleasurable days in Napoli, the sartorial highlight of which was a few visits to Mina and Dino in their atelier. After multiple SF requests for fit pics of my coats, Dino helped to snap a few of my 3-piece suits (solid grey & navy worsted flannel chaulkstripe). I had the pleasure of meeting Signore Antonio, il sarto who Mina has assigned to my coats. He doesn't speak a word of English, and my command of Italian is shaky at best, but we managed to communicate well enough through a series of words, gestures, facial expressions and simultaneous translation by Mina and Dino. Sr. Antonio is a true perfectionist, and while to my eye the navy suit exceeded my expectations for a basted fitting (after mods from my previous coats made it to mods in my pattern), he kept talking through minor nips and tucks to further refine both the coat and the waistcoat. I had also brought back my 2 first coat commissions, and between Mina and Sr. Antonio they pulled, adjusted and restitched a few very minor mods after several wearings, and I'm left with what I can only describe are jackets which are perfect for me.

A few fit basted and forward pics here:

Another day I dropped in and had the pleasure to meet Parker and his lovely wife. While it's always a pleasure to meet a fellow San Franciscan, to meet in Napoli at Mina's was doubly enjoyable. Parker was wearing his LP glen plaid coat which was gorgeous. Mina and Dino took us all into the hills of old Napoli for what I can only describe as the best pizza I have ever had, the highlight of which was "pizza fritta" - a pizza which is half-fried and which Parker and I as Californians are probably forbidden from eating, at the risk of losing our state residency. The place was absolutely packed for a Thursday evening and even with Mina and Dino knowing the owners we still had to wait 90 minutes for a table. The dinner was worth every minute of that wait, and I'm forever spoiled for pizza...

Parker also snapped a pic of my first sportcoat:

Finally, I came by on Friday for my navy suit and could not be more pleased. Colleagues who were with me got measured then and there upon seeing this total FU masterpiece. I was going to take a few finished pics, but learned that later that evening Mina had a photographer coming in to take snaps for her new website. Mina and Dino were such perfect and generous hosts that the least I could do was to agree to sit for a few pics of my coats, trousers and suits. I'm expecting these pics upon Mina's return from NY. Napoli Su Misura's new web site will apparently feature an Asian guy with a shaved head... globalization at its best. I can post pics upon receipt.

Parker and I are trying to drum up interest for Mina to visit San Francisco... will cross-post.

Cheers,
Eddie

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great post Eddie! Now that's an enjoyable bespoke experience.

The pizza looks surreal.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What an enjoyable looking time. I miss Naples.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What tailor is Mina actually using now?

It's interesting to note both the trimness of your sleeves and the puffiness of your pizza crust--total opposites of what I experienced in Naples.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She no longer fronts for other tailors, but rather employs a full-time team of eight, of whom Sr. Antonio is one of the senior tailors.

Funny about the pizza crust... I was expecting something super-thin, but there was a fluffiness about them that even though I ate more carbs in one meal than I typically do in two weeks I didn't feel like I was about to explode. That place was unreal.

urymoto

Reaction score
if you dont mind us asking...

how much does such a sartorial adventure cost?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
1) The vest looks pretty good. I feel bad about all the mean things I have said about Italian vests. They do cut them with a much lower V than is typical on SR, however.

2) Why do they pin SB coats with two inches of overlap?
confused.gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
those jackets look impeccable

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Great post, MT. Stuff looks great.

I'm seeing her this week...plan is to order three suits.

- B

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like great work and what an adventure. Can't wait to see the finished products.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
1) The vest looks pretty good. I feel bad about all the mean things I have said about Italian vests. They do cut them with a much lower V than is typical on SR, however

I'm not sure whether my vests represent what is typical for Mina; I specifically requested a deep V so that only a few centimeters of vest would show when the jacket is buttoned.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Great post, MT. Stuff looks great.

I'm seeing her this week...plan is to order three suits.

I recommended Hammersley's Bistro to Mina & Dino. Please recommend a few others, especially for fresh seafood. I've also encouraged them to take some time to enjoy their first visit to the city, so anything you could advise them would be great. I'm not sure how the experience will compare to Steed, but I think you'll be pleased nonetheless.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
1)

2) Why do they pin SB coats with two inches of overlap?
confused.gif

It's to make sure they get the sleeve pitch right.

Eddie, I thought I was looking at a pic of me for a minute. She told me you guys had a great time and she says you have great taste. I saw a pic of her in a sportcoat that looked really familiar
lookaround.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Great post, MT. Stuff looks great. I'm seeing her this week...plan is to order three suits. - B
Eh...!!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Eh...!!

I was shocked as well. I figured he was in for at least a dozen.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice jacket but that pizza looks mediocre so I'm not impressed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads