or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura - Page 256

post #3826 of 3928
...
Edited by gusvs - 4/2/14 at 10:46pm
post #3827 of 3928
Sad to hear. I had hoped to get around to trying them out next year. However, consistency is something that I look for. I'm not (as) obsessive about details as most, but really strive to have a consistent product; regardless of whether that means each time is consistently better or, at least, consistently the same.
post #3828 of 3928
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusvs View Post

I think much of the problem has been a lot of staff turnover and changes, hence the issues people report. I have asked to have the same cutter, and received an answer kind of like "we will try", which I guess means "if it happens it happens".

I have used NSM for many years and was very happy a few years ago, but lately they have just grown too fast. I think they would benefit from starting to decline new customers for a while and work on their workshop/tailoring setup to get all staff up to the same quality level.

As a frequent NSM customer, I am beginning to feel this way. However, I'm willing to give them time to work out the kinks, given their rather tumultuous 2013 (expansion plus their atelier flooding and forcing a relocation, plus some other things I'm not sure are public knowledge that won't go in to). I feel NSM will produce a more consistent product going forward. I have personally found their service to be exemplary, so I'm not worried about their willingness to address problems if I am wrong in the end.

I've got a couple of things in the pipeline so I will know for sure soon enough.
post #3829 of 3928
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

I've tried that and still wasn't satisfied with the results. In my case, I'm not talking about minor inconsistencies in how things fit, but pretty significant stylistic aspects of the garment.

+1. I'm getting pretty fed up. I've had button flies made when I requested zippers, wrong collars put on shirts, no cuffs when cuffs were requested etc, differences in fit for trousers ordered at the same time. Also poor responsiveness via email, a big issue when this is their preferred mode of communication.

Problem is there are no trouser makers that make good odd trousers at that price point. Sportcoats are a different issue.
post #3830 of 3928
...
Edited by gusvs - 4/2/14 at 10:46pm
post #3831 of 3928
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusvs View Post

Victor el wanted me to post this here:






NSM corduroy suit, Liverano shirt, Drakes tie and Saint Crispin's suede brogues


Very nice look...compliment for your shoes...

post #3832 of 3928

Has anyone got experience with ordering trousers in person in Naples?  Can they turn around a few pairs (or one pair) in a week?

post #3833 of 3928
I'm pretty sure that koolbear was asking about NsM's ability to complete trousers in a week if ordered in Naples.

Aaron
post #3834 of 3928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post

As a frequent NSM customer, I am beginning to feel this way. However, I'm willing to give them time to work out the kinks, given their rather tumultuous 2013 (expansion plus their atelier flooding and forcing a relocation, plus some other things I'm not sure are public knowledge that won't go in to). I feel NSM will produce a more consistent product going forward. I have personally found their service to be exemplary, so I'm not worried about their willingness to address problems if I am wrong in the end.

I've got a couple of things in the pipeline so I will know for sure soon enough.

They might be willing to rework things, however, you will have to wait for another 2-3 months to see the changes. In my case, they simply asked me to wear the garments they made for me and see if they would work for me. I ended up using a different tailor to have them taken out in the back as they were uncomfortably tight. For people who have to travel to meet with them, this is a major issue and a deal breaker. While I agree that they make a nice product, I just think that they grew too much and too fast, they might be just fine losing some customers but sooner or later, people will start jumping the ship.
post #3835 of 3928
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolbear View Post

Has anyone got experience with ordering trousers in person in Naples?  Can they turn around a few pairs (or one pair) in a week?

I would guess this is possible - trousers don't take as long as coats. But I would email them and try to set up an appointment in advance. You'll want to get the process started ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forex View Post

They might be willing to rework things, however, you will have to wait for another 2-3 months to see the changes. In my case, they simply asked me to wear the garments they made for me and see if they would work for me. I ended up using a different tailor to have them taken out in the back as they were uncomfortably tight. For people who have to travel to meet with them, this is a major issue and a deal breaker. While I agree that they make a nice product, I just think that they grew too much and too fast, they might be just fine losing some customers but sooner or later, people will start jumping the ship.

FWIW Mina will be in New York for an extended stay (like a couple of months) this fall, which should make it easier to get things done faster, including changes and tweaks.
post #3836 of 3928
Quote:
Originally Posted by forex View Post

They might be willing to rework things, however, you will have to wait for another 2-3 months to see the changes. In my case, they simply asked me to wear the garments they made for me and see if they would work for me. I ended up using a different tailor to have them taken out in the back as they were uncomfortably tight. For people who have to travel to meet with them, this is a major issue and a deal breaker. While I agree that they make a nice product, I just think that they grew too much and too fast, they might be just fine losing some customers but sooner or later, people will start jumping the ship.

I'm at the same point with one of my jackets. The changes are slow (which is ok) and are not having much of an effect (which is not ok). I can't say whether it is a result of growth. My first order was in 2010 or 2011, and while I liked what they made there were definitely issues with consistency even at that time (I can show pictures of two jackets ordered and delivered at the same time which are very, very different from one another). I just stack it up to their business model. I think that they are offering a decent product that really is bespoke in every sense of the word at a very low price comparatively. The trade-off for that is that things are expected to come out pretty good, but not necessarily great and certainly not perfect. At least that is my experience. I think of it as affordable or low-end bespoke and I think it serves a very useful place in the universe of bespoke clothing. It just isn't for me. I would rather pay more and know that I am going to get exactly what I've ordered exactly as I've ordered it.
post #3837 of 3928
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

I'm at the same point with one of my jackets. The changes are slow (which is ok) and are not having much of an effect (which is not ok). I can't say whether it is a result of growth. My first order was in 2010 or 2011, and while I liked what they made there were definitely issues with consistency even at that time (I can show pictures of two jackets ordered and delivered at the same time which are very, very different from one another). I just stack it up to their business model. I think that they are offering a decent product that really is bespoke in every sense of the word at a very low price comparatively. The trade-off for that is that things are expected to come out pretty good, but not necessarily great and certainly not perfect. At least that is my experience. I think of it as affordable or low-end bespoke and I think it serves a very useful place in the universe of bespoke clothing. It just isn't for me. I would rather pay more and know that I am going to get exactly what I've ordered exactly as I've ordered it.

I could not agree more, I would rather pay more and work with a tailor or house that will deliver a consistent product. This is not to bash NSM as I think they fill a certain niche in the market. When I started my bespoke journey 2-3 years ago, I used 4 different tailors in hopes to shortlist a couple I was going to use long term. I ended up liking the work of most expensive tailor as well as my local tailor, my local tailor doesn't do super nice job but he is local and can give me as many fittings as I want. Plus he is cheapest of all the tailors I tested. I was very tempted to go back to NSM but I decided against it, it wasn't even for the fact that they don't deliver a consistent product. Their default style and cut just doesn't work for me, I prefer relaxed fit and I never received what I wanted.
If you are perferctly happy with NSM's work, by all means, stay with them but if you are on the fence, you might be better off going elsewhere and pay the premium. I would rather do that than waste my time and energy on reworking things.
post #3838 of 3928
...
Edited by gusvs - 4/2/14 at 10:45pm
post #3839 of 3928
Just got back from a fitting with NSM in Stockholm. Very happy with the results so far. This was the second fitting for a couple of SCs and a few minor changes had to be made, but Mina offered to ship the garments out with a courier when the changes had been made. I appreciate this because then I can wear the garments a few times before their next visit to Stockholm in July (preliminary), and any further alterations can be made then, but I don't think/hope that will be necessary. I also had my first fitting for two more SCs. Brought two pairs of trousers home today thought, first impression is very positive.

I really enjoy my visits to NSM, I believe this was my fourth. They are friendly and relaxed, they take their time and provide feedback and suggestions when they see fit. I'm not anal about a perfect fit or flawless craftsmanship (I'm not saying it's wrong to be, I'm just saying I'm not) and I don't always have an eye for those really subtle craftsmanship/fitting details. I'm after good comfort and an appealing garment. This far I am very happy with their services and placed an order for several more items.

I'll make sure to post some pictures when I recieve the altered garments, I hope you don't mind me rambling, hopefully it can provide useful feedback for other SFers even though my post did not contain any pics.
post #3840 of 3928
After all the doom and gloom over NSM, it's good to see a positive experience.

I say this because i am hoping to place my first bespoke order later this year. NSM was one of my options, Steed being the other. Whoever can provide a lighter weight, more casual, warm weather garment will probably get my business this time around. It seems like NSM has more experience with warm climate clothing, correct me if i'm wrong please...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura