or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura - Page 200

post #2986 of 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post

I will leave it to you learned gentelmen to continue the search for the cause and sufffice to let you in on the cure:


1 minute with an iron make the "problem" go away completely and there you have it; the neapolitan camicia shoulder!!!: bigstar[1].gif

Whenever a tailor tells you to "fix" something by ironing it, he means: "Umm. Yeah, so I'm not even going to acknowledge there's an issue, because that would require me to actually fix it. I'd rather just fuck with you."


Excuse me!! No tailor has ever told me to "fix" anything and none have had the urge to fuck with me!!! - I just noticed the "problem" when unpacking, and thought it would be a thing caused by the transport, took the iron to it and problem solved. As others have mentioned, not all NSM coats have this issue, in my case one of three. bigstar[1].gif
post #2987 of 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post

Excuse me!! No tailor has ever told me to "fix" anything and none have had the urge to fuck with me!!! - I just noticed the "problem" when unpacking, and thought it would be a thing caused by the transport, took the iron to it and problem solved. As others have mentioned, not all NSM coats have this issue, in my case one of three. bigstar[1].gif

I was being somewhat facetious. Suggestions like, "that can be ironed," or "it will disappear with wear," do tend to be tailor-bullshit. Sometimes, however, the advice is genuine.

Anyway, the fact that this styling "feature" is only on some of your NSM jackets tends to indicate it is indeed an error, not a purposeful choice. It should be self-evident just by looking at it. If your tailor wants to contrive a concave shoulder shape, such as a pagoda, one would expect the curvature to be smooth and clearly defined. Such is obviously attainable (as in a pagoda). I think it's far more insulting to NSM to suggest that they intend to create a choppy, erratic shoulder line, than it is to suggest they might not be adapting their patterns properly. Every tailor makes mistakes, but poor taste isn't fixable.
post #2988 of 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

but poor taste isn't fixable.

After tens of thousands spent on surgeries and drug regimens, as well as hundreds of hours of therapy, all to no effect, I can offer myself as unfortunate evidence of this eternal truth.
post #2989 of 3849
Dear God, Fan, you really are being intolerably obtuse in this thread. You're writing the same crap about pagoda shoulders and shoulder inversion as you were 50 pages ago. Do you actually read what other people write? Clearly, as demonstrated abundantly, the issue is not an overabundance of wadding; nor is it a stillborn pagoda shoulder; so why do you keep repeating yourself? You're displaying signs of Asperger's syndrome. Have you been diagnosed with same?
post #2990 of 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post

Why, just because he makes suits for a living? That does not make him an expert. He needs to spend more time on the Interwebz posting and looking at pictures to be classified as any sort of expert. Pfffttt.
crackup[1].gif
post #2991 of 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post

Dear God, Fan, you really are being intolerably obtuse in this thread. You're writing the same crap about pagoda shoulders and shoulder inversion as you were 50 pages ago. Do you actually read what other people write? Clearly, as demonstrated abundantly, the issue is not an overabundance of wadding; nor is it a stillborn pagoda shoulder; so why do you keep repeating yourself? You're displaying signs of Asperger's syndrome. Have you been diagnosed with same?

I'm not the one being obtuse.

No amount of technical explanation justifies the way the NSM shoulder looks. As a client, it's up to you to inform your tastes and judge whether your tailor has given you good work. You don't write-off an ugly result simply because he tells you the wadding makes it happen, or that wearing it for a few months will make the divots go away, etc. As anyone who's worked with a tailor knows, you have to be on your feet. It's a tricky line to walk. Obviously, the tailor is the professional in the relationship and is bound to know more than you when it comes to technical matters. However, no one is more in-line with your own incentives than you. So, you need to artfully bridge the gap between your tailor's expertise and his disinclination to fix problems he can more easily convince you aren't problems. You do this by learning enough to understand what is technically possible and what isn't.

Well, I know enough--as do many others who have quietly confirmed by e-mail or PM on this matter--to judge that the NSM shoulder line, whatever causes it, is not an inevitable result of any kind of tailoring. All the offered explanations don't pass muster. Whether the presence or amount of wadding causes it is neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is quite plain: the misshapen shoulder, no matter what causes it, has happened. It shouldn't have. Whatever the wadding's role, it should be adjusted to effect a proper shape. If it isn't the wadding, then whatever variable that is to blame should be attended to instead. Something needs fixing. How do I know? Because the shoulder line is ugly, inconsistently implemented, does not represent an existing species of shoulder expression, and is by no means a foregone technical conclusion.

Honestly, Styleforum was a better and more useful place when it centered on discussion between knowledgeable, experienced bespoke clients. We don't need professional opinions from tailors nearly as much. You have your own tailor for that.
post #2992 of 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Whenever a tailor tells you to "fix" something by ironing it, he means: "Umm. Yeah, so I'm not even going to acknowledge there's an issue, because that would require me to actually fix it. I'd rather just fuck with you."

FWIW, I've found taping chicken cutlets to my shoulders makes the bump go away (just don't go right up to the end of your shoulder, as that will make the problem worse).

Probably not helpful for vegans, but still ...

(Note, I am a qualified bespoke client)
post #2993 of 3849
Spalla Cotolleta?

I'm going to recommend veal for a less pronounced shoulder.
post #2994 of 3849
Wore my NSM jacket today for a long day of travel (including, incidentally, on a short taxi ride through Naples).

it moves better than anything else I've tried. The overall lightness and high armhole make for ideal suitcase toting apparel.
post #2995 of 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

Wore my NSM jacket today for a long day of travel (including, incidentally, on a short taxi ride through Naples).

it moves better than anything else I've tried. The overall lightness and high armhole make for ideal suitcase toting apparel.

I was literally thinking the exact same thing just now lol. My steed jacket moves better in that the collar hugs my body better when moving but the NSM is a bit more comfortable imo
post #2996 of 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

Wore my NSM jacket today for a long day of travel (including, incidentally, on a short taxi ride through Naples).

it moves better than anything else I've tried. The overall lightness and high armhole make for ideal suitcase toting apparel.

But what about the shoulder expression? Did it bother you to wear such a flawed garment? smile.gif
post #2997 of 3849
1st bespoke suit (Ipad picture quality unfortunately)...





Details:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #2998 of 3849
Based on these pics, this suit might be my favorite NSM suit in this thread. The details are sort of hard to discern in the photos, but this doesn't look like a lot of the other NSM stuff posted here. Did you let them do their thing or did you give them particular instructions?
post #2999 of 3849
Sorry. Foo will be unhappy about the collar shoulder join.
post #3000 of 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Sorry. Foo will be unhappy about the collar shoulder join.

The left shoulder has the bump/wave.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura