Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:17 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 3:42 pm in Classic Menswear
- ISAIA NAPOLI - SUPER HUGE MEGATHREAD - Suits, Sport Coats, Jackets, Pants, Ties, Hangers &... Last post on 11/13/13 at 7:07am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- PRICE DROP! BNWT -Zegna - Navy Blue. Fully Canvassed. 40R suit - !PRICE DROP! Last post on 10/19/12 at 8:02am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
Last edited: 10/6/15
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura - Page 152post #2266 of 41421/13/13 at 11:03ampost #2267 of 41421/13/13 at 11:32amQuote:
this is on all NSM jackets, take a closer look. You only have to back as far as Med tech's DB, same shoulder.Quote:
If I used only one line of cloth I would use Holland & Sherry. Especially their Super's, best in the market.post #2268 of 41421/13/13 at 12:01pmpost #2269 of 41421/13/13 at 12:24pmQuote:
Thanks, Cantabrigian. I have fairly large traps - at the fitting of my very first coat from NSM, Mina asked if I'd like some padding inserted to even out the shoulders. I suggested that she stick with the classic Neapolitan style she favors, and not make any modifications on my behalf.
The waviness doesn't bother me, as the vast majority of my stuff from NSM is tweed or linen sportcoats, which are more casual by nature. Perhaps I would rethink the shoulders for worsted business suits.post #2270 of 41421/13/13 at 12:38pmQuote:
I'm not sure if Chris would agree, but I think while H&S is not the best at what they do, they are quite good and boast the most comprehensive selection of cloth. Other highly regarded cloth merchants are often only good in certain niches (Lesser / Smith - midweight worsteds, Minnis - lightweights / frescos, Harrisons - flannels, W. Bill - sportcoatings etc.)post #2271 of 41421/13/13 at 12:41pmQuote:
Hm, this seems to be a fairly recent development, no? I don't think we saw that on any previously posted photos before MedTech's DB.
I have noticed however, that NSM's shoulders seem increasingly softer. Earlier examples had a concave, almost pagoda-like construction, whereas recent pictures show a more natural look.
Chris, do you know what's the cause of the wavy shoulder line?post #2272 of 41421/13/13 at 12:48pmQuote:
Now that you mention it, I do see it on Medtech's. I'll have to look at my first coat from her when it comes back.Quote:If I used only one line of cloth I would use Holland & Sherry. Especially their Super's, best in the market.
Kinda surprised to hear that.
I only have two suits from H&S - a Crispaire that I love and a worsted from the Perennial collection I believe. The latter is a navy twill. I picked it because that tailor didn't have many options. It wears fine but the color is somewhat lifeless.
Which H&S book / books are your favorite for suitings?post #2273 of 41421/13/13 at 12:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I'm not sure if Chris would agree, but I think while H&S is not the best at what they do, they are quite good and boast the most comprehensive selection of cloth. Other highly regarded cloth merchants are often only good in certain niches (Lesser / Smith - midweight worsteds, Minnis - lightweights / frescos, Harrisons - flannels, W. Bill - sportcoatings etc.)
I'm a big fan of Harrison's heavier worsteds. I'd probably (slightly) prefer the Lesser* stuff but the colors and hand are great.
* the independent Lesser stuff - haven't seen new books post acquisitionpost #2274 of 41421/13/13 at 1:06pmQuote:
Two different SR tailors complained recently that the new owners are cross-pollinating the Harrison's and Lesser offerings (i.e. slotting in the stock Harrison's cloth into Lesser books and upcharging accordingly). I haven't examined the new Lesser books in awhile, but this would be disappointing if true.post #2275 of 41421/13/13 at 2:03pmSR tailors do tend to push H & S cloth, however. I remember the first few times I asked for cloth suggestions, they almost always reached for the H & S books, and I had to ask for the Lessers, Smiths and Harrisons stuff which I prefer.
It's also true that H & S has a very comprehensive selection which might appeal to tailors, though the ones (out of the two) I have tend to be lifeless (for instance, Sloane Square -- their recent release -- which was also expensive (85 pounds/M + VAT). I'd be interested to know which cloth Chris favors however.post #2276 of 41421/13/13 at 3:02pmpost #2277 of 41421/13/13 at 4:26pmpost #2278 of 41421/13/13 at 4:39pmpost #2279 of 41421/13/13 at 4:50pmQuote:
Always been. It's more prominent on sloping shoulders. Have noticed this since she first appeared. Reminds me of the shape of the Nike swish logo.Quote:Chris, do you know what's the cause of the wavy shoulder line?
Yes, I dopost #2280 of 41421/13/13 at 7:25pm
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
- › The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors 53 seconds ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 10 minutes ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 13 minutes ago
- › Charles Tyrwhitt by Loake Cap toe Tan Military Grainy Boots, UK 7.5 G 15 minutes ago
- › BNWT Maison Kitsune COTTON OVERSHIRT Safari, Beige, L 16 minutes ago
- › Mackintosh Dunoon Size 40 (Loro Piana Storm System) Ink/Navy 17 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 18 minutes ago
- › Chelsea Boot Advice 22 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 26 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge 23th of September 2016 - 'The Great Outdoors' 31 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...