• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Notre Dame student dies filming football practice in high winds

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5736851

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Indiana's workplace safety agency is investigating the death of a Notre Dame student after the tower from which he was filming football practice fell over.

Declan Sullivan of Long Grove, Ill., died at a hospital on Wednesday after the scissor lift the 20-year-old student was in toppled amid winds gusting over 50 mph.

It was not clear who made the lift. But one manufacturer of scissor lifts, HHS Wire, says on its website that the device should not be used in winds above 25 mph.

The university did not return calls seeking comment on Wednesday, and it was not clear who authorized Sullivan to go up in the scissor lift to videotape Wednesday's practice.
Maybe I'm just overly jaded on big-time college sports, but this is f*cking outrageous. The responsibility for this falls squarely on the head coach's shoulders. Who amongst you think he'll actually get canned (as he well f*cking ought to be)?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, It's not something I would have thought about. The football coach thinks about football, not whether the scissor lift is rated to withstand the weather of practice. If anything, this falls into the lap of the AD.

Even still, every college football team in the country films practices/games with a scissor lift (I played ****** D-III and even we did), and I've never heard of this happening before.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
If someone forced him to stay up there he should be thrown in jail. I can't understand why the kid wouldn't try to get down.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, Douglas, restrain your outrage, PLZ.

He's a coach, not a meteorologist, nor is he licensed to operate those sorts of heavy machinery. And since he comes from a football background, I'm sure common sense is one of those things he left on the field back when he played high school ball. Cut him some slack. If he's having a winning season, then this is just one of them sports tragedies that happens like players dying during conditioning drills. Freak accident, obviously: who knew it was windy that day?

Hmmm, let's see what other BS excuses I can cook up.

...Oh, yeah. Act of God.

(FWIW, yes, it's outrageous. I doubt the coach will get fired, though, but someone ought to)

runner-guy

Reaction score
Lawsuit time.

Too bad it didn't fall on their stupid leprechaun mascot. And no, Kelly won't get fired.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Unless the coach wouldn't lower the platform after the kid demanded it, I say this is the kids fault and not the coach's. You've got to be pretty ******* stupid to stand on top of a rickety platform 2 stories up in 50 mph wind.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
To some extent I agree, but these types of testosterone charged environments are not the places where one's safety concerns take precedent over the potential stigma of being considered a *****. In most cases, these types of student assistants are treated like complete **** and fired or ridiculed for the most benign expressions of skepticism or resistance to authority. If he didn't say anything, it's obviously not because he wasn't concerned. It's because he didn't think it would be acceptable.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
And this is not much different from a player refraining from sayings he's too fatigued to keep running wind sprints during 103 degree August two-a-days before he collapses and dies.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
creepy phrophetic status updates are creepy

Sullivan wrote his first message at 3.22pm saying: 'Gust of wind up to 60mph well today will be fun at work... I guess I've lived long enough.'

The second message, sent at 4.06pm, read: 'Holy f*** holy f*** this is terrifying.'

The tower toppled to the ground with Sullivan inside at around 4.50pm.
confused.gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
who schedules practice in a day where 60 mph winds are expected?
puzzled.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
To some extent I agree, but these types of testosterone charged environments are not the places where one's safety concerns take precedent over the potential stigma of being considered a *****. In most cases, these types of student assistants are treated like complete **** and fired or ridiculed for the most benign expressions of skepticism or resistance to authority. If he didn't say anything, it's obviously not because he wasn't concerned. It's because he didn't think it would be acceptable.
I agree. I was in the northern part of the state yesterday, and the winds were blowing really hard. I bet the kid was knocked about quite a bit before it fell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads