or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › High Satisfaction Jobs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High Satisfaction Jobs - Page 2

post #16 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83glt View Post
Why do they love you? For the money? Or for the time you don't spend with them? (I'm just being a brat here).

When you truly love someone, you don't think about what love you are getting back.

But to your point, you may joke that you're being bratty with that question but that is a legitimate concern. Anyone who grew up with parents with strict work ethic would recall the time (or lack of) they had with their parents.

Going on that path requires serious discussions with the SO because the lack of time will put major strain on the relationship even if the money is good.
post #17 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83glt View Post
I never thought that a hole in the ground could be 'designed', but I guess that makes sense. Do you ever feel remorse for having fucked up God's creation?

No. Raw materials need to come from somewhere otherwise we would literally have nothing, apart from wooden objects.

I have flown over the biggest opencut in Australia, and from up high it looks insignificant when compared to the vast landscape around it.

If you can't grow it, mine it.
post #18 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

Going on that path requires serious discussions with the SO because the lack of time will put major strain on the relationship even if the money is good.

Most people won't understand this until their relationship is fucked. This and politics get people all the time in our "social circle" (Necessary evil- most our friends tend to not be a part of this because the people inhabiting it tend to unpleasant). It's one thing to discuss that times will be difficult, or that sacrifices will have to be made, but it's another entirely to experience this. Everyone thinks that their relationship is stronger than that. It isn't.
post #19 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent View Post
It's a rat race with high pressure and heavy work hours I'd assume.

1. you get to work with really smart people
2. you get to take on huge responsibility at a young age
3. high levels of competition spur you to work harder/smarter/better
4. you get a diverse amount of work
5. compensation allows you to live without budgeting
post #20 of 92
The only people truly satisfied with their work fall in two categories: 1.) People who work in the public sector who make great pay and benefits with little work/results. They can only do this thanks to taxpayers so it's not sustainable, yet will go on for as long as the govt is run by career politicians and bureaucrats (forever). 2.) People who love their "work" so much they're always "working" You could hand me a billion in cash right now, and the absolute last thing I would do is retire.
post #21 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by newinny View Post
1. you get to work with really smart people
2. you get to take on huge responsibility at a young age
3. high levels of competition spur you to work harder/smarter/better
4. you get a diverse amount of work
5. compensation allows you to live without budgeting

1. Yes, really smart people. But the same over competitive, under-socialized, gunner kids that made college one big .
2. no comment
3. see one.
4. thought junior analyst meant excel monkey.
5. I think this is the MAJOR, if not ONLY one. Money+prestige... I'm sure pussy shortly follows.
post #22 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83glt View Post
If I could start over, I'd be a doctor. I think it's the most brilliant career. You make good money, you help people, and you work with people (or you don't, depending on your specialty and preference). It's perfect. That or engineer because I like to tinker with things.


Plenty of people would disagree with this:

study >10years before making decent money; This means not only do you have a shitty student loan, you also miss out on the mid twenties, which is the sweet spot when most people make a decent living but have zero responsibility (kids, mortgage etc).

Work very long hours when you do finally get out of college, in a very stressful environment in which your decisions decide whether people live or die.

Have the burden of constantly having to study to stay up to date with a rapidly evolving field

Have to deal with people (can be good, can be bad).

Drug addicts trying to score, dealing with people who have no health insurance, dealing with people who are going to die, dealing with people who are going to sue your ass at every opportunity.

that's all i can think of now. I still think it'd be a rewarding job, but still not that great.
post #23 of 92
CFA is worthless without any experience. You'll be spending hundreds of hours for an additional three letters next to your name, but it doesn't really matter that much unless you're already in the industry. As someone studying for Level 2, I will tell you it sucks. Horribly.
post #24 of 92
Subscribed, I'm about to graduate with a BS in Accounting. If I don't have a full-time job in January, I'll start studying for the CPA. I figure if nothing else, at least I'll be able to pay the bills...I have friends with music or liberal arts degrees who can't find a job at Starbucks. My plan is you slowly meet people in life who do what you want to be doing, you ask them how they got there, then you do that. Might not get you your dream job instantly, but you'll be gaining experience and paying the bills in the meantime. That's the plan, anyway As far as a wife and kids, I'm the most independent person I know, yet with school coming to a close I feel like having those things wouldn't be as bad as I used to think... I'd say get your Finance degree and job, gain some experience...basically aim high, you can always downshift from being a CFA to being a part-time handyman for example, but at some point in life it becomes very hard to go the other way. BTW, look at all of us...we're all f'king lucky to be sitting here with these choices available to us. Maybe the right answer is no matter which option you choose, you'll still be better off than many other people in this world and so no option is truly 'wrong.'
post #25 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post
That's the deal. I don't want kids, and don't want a wife. I would do the same thing my folks did if that were the case, but it's not. As it stands, they're just now starting to actually experience personal benefit from the money in such a way that it's may be worth the bullshit that it took to make it. They managed to miss out on 30 years of their life to get there though.

Thanks for the responses, yall- I'm looking in to everything right now.

hmmmm here's one thing that you might not be thinking about - when I was your age I didn't want a wife or kids either, now I am thrilled to have both. and if I wasn't able to provide for them, life would suck.
post #26 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.freeman View Post
CFA is worthless without any experience. You'll be spending hundreds of hours for an additional three letters next to your name, but it doesn't really that much unless you're already in the industry. As someone studying for Level 2, I will tell you it sucks. Horribly.

+ you actually have to have like 3-4 years of relevant experience to get the full CFA charter.
post #27 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
hmmmm here's one thing that you might not be thinking about - when I was your age I didn't want a wife or kids either, now I am thrilled to have both. and if I wasn't able to provide for them, life would suck.

I've already resigned to becoming a corporate whore or busting my ass to do whatever it takes if I do have a family. I'm not that worried about this. Between a finance degree and a master's license I should be able to provide if it comes down to it. I'm talking about living my single life in such a way that I don't look back hate myself for pissing it away for a leather sofa, a fast car that's never gets used, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambeur
+ you actually have to have like 3-4 years of relevant experience to get the full CFA charter.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longskate88
Stuff

All true. As far as having the options goes- I really do appreciate that. Between spending a while in Peru (getting out of the more developed areas is an excellent way to understand how great it is to live in a "first world" country) and my own family having started well below the poverty line, it's great to able to bitch and moan about these things.
post #28 of 92
Getting a BA in Communications. I think I'm screwed.
post #29 of 92
I've been able to work for myself for most of my young life. It is quite the high satisfaction job looking around at my offices and the work we do and knowing that I started with less than $1000 and no employees. Do what you love, do it better than everyone else, and don't stop...success is almost certain. However, your definition of success is sure to be personal. Whenever someone asks me for career advice I tell them they must find out what they absolutely love to do and what they are best at doing. Then figure out how to create the best possible career from those things. Generally everything else will lead to great disappointment.
post #30 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouttsClient View Post
I've been able to work for myself for most of my young life. It is quite the high satisfaction job looking around at my offices and the work we do and knowing that I started with less than $1000 and no employees.

Do what you love, do it better than everyone else, and don't stop...success is almost certain. However, your definition of success is sure to be personal.

Whenever someone asks me for career advice I tell them they must find out what they absolutely love to do and what they are best at doing. Then figure out how to create the best possible career from those things. Generally everything else will lead to great disappointment.

didn't you come from a well-off family to begin with?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › High Satisfaction Jobs