or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Roy's Jeans - Single Man Made
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Roy's Jeans - Single Man Made - Page 5

post #61 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrero View Post
Hey sit back and read what you said cuz it's pure ignorance. Hey check this out:

FOK YOU!

edit: good you removed that pic, cuz that gets you banned. but still FOK YOU

nice. "fok you." so instead of making an argument you say "fok you." well done!
post #62 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
Name me one even semi-established fashion brands that distribute by themselves as this type of lower pricepoint? You guys are fighting the system, there is nothing special with that situation. Brands that distribute directly do it like Burberry; at the same pricepoints as in theirs and other stores. As I previously said what you had before was an obscure, non-established, hardly distributed brand kickstarting their business with direct marketing. A situation that was akin to selling to friends of friends in the days before the internet.

I'm not sure if we're agreeing or dis-agreeing

My point was that adding another party to the mix means that profits gets split more ways which usually necessitates a price increase to keep everyone happy.

I live in Canada and we're acutely aware of how much less some things are in the U.S. as compared to Canada. Years ago I was shopping for a 5 channel home theatre amplifier and was considering the Parasound HCA-2205AT at MSRP $1999USD. Stores in Canada wanted $5500 Cdn. Even after the currency exchange the difference was unpalatable. Product was distributed in Canada through a Canadian distributer. Same thing with Big Green Egg. In the U.S. it's about $6-700 USD while in Canada (through a Canadian distributer) it'll set you back $1300CDN. Keep in mind that we're almost at par and have been for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culture View Post
It makes no sense unless you take into consideration the fact that he will likely sell many more pairs, which makes up for the loss of profit per unit.

That said, the jeans seem to be worth as much as similarly priced jeans.

I don't think that logic is completely applicable in this case. These jeans are made by one man and there are only so many jeans he can produce at a time. Another post above indicated that he had to take a hiatus because of a backlog of work. You can price the jeans at $1000 and that still won't help him make more jeans faster. The only way is to mechanize his production line but Machine Made Jeans doesn't really have that certain cachet. Another way is to hire and train people to help him make them. However, you're left calling them Multi-Man Made Jeans. He can also out-source to China. Who wants China Made Jeans?
post #63 of 314
To folks who think Roy's too expensive, I've got you a japanese alternative "Double Volante". Also a single man made jean for only 35000 yen/~$430 including shipping.
post #64 of 314
odd...that makes no sense either.

if the jeans were worth $275 (at retail) then why wouldnt roy have priced them there? the price increase is just a profit markup which is fine, but i wont buy a pair.

you all can though!
post #65 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
better denim, better hardware, more and different cuts, etc. it doesnt matter if one person or 3 people make a pair of jeans UNLESS you are sold on the idea of one person make a pair of jeans. i happen not be to be. i would bet money it is roy that does things like those japanese companies (in terms of cutting, stitching, construction), not the other way around...but thats just me.
1) look I haven't see the jeans but how do you know it is better denim; you're going to have to demonstrate some sort of technical expertise or there is no reason we'll believe you (or not). 2) same for hardware 3) a construction&design process handled by one person reduces communication problems (so design incomprehension) and ensures the whole product is congruent (construction mishaps). It is a general principle I've discussed with my bespoke example. You may or may not like the vision but it is probably "fully realized" and this commands a premium. Of course you don't have to pay it. As I said I wear dior and cloak jeans not japanese brands, I pay a premium for design, name and congruency w. other offerings from the same design house. 4) Japanese companies probably order certain parts (patches, etc) or a different person buys/inspects the leathers, denim etc. 5) I don't get too comparative with most of my buys; either it is something I want and then I'm not looking for a substitute but this exact piece or it is a vague need and then yeah, I might get comparative.
post #66 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
odd...that makes no sense either.

if the jeans were worth $275 (at retail) then why wouldnt roy have priced them there? the price increase is just a profit markup which is fine, but i wont buy a pair.

you all can though!

this is retarded, this is simply not how it works. WTF do you know about the fashion business?

He started the brand, he had no name, no one to distribute and no way to remain that way for long, then he became a real brand with some longevity potential; someone who has distribution channels and such. It is very different from the Canada example presented where, in both cases, you get a product that is available and not just some startup, the markeup is then due to additional players ensuring it crosses the border.

How much it is worth is irrelevent; some jeans sell for 1K, some for $50. Uniqlo and Gap make a pretty good jean for that price; selvedge, relatively good denim and decent construction. They buy and produce in bulk and know their shit. If you want "value" presented like that well get those. Wearing clothes is not an optimization process.
post #67 of 314
I aspire to be more like Fuuma
post #68 of 314
Whatever123 probably believes Japanese denim is made from old Levi's shuttle loom. The guy is a tard and talks out of his ass.
post #69 of 314
Thread Starter 
I spend 6 hours driving from LA to SF and this thread blows up into a depressing mess by the time i get home. It's amusing to watch those that know nothing about how this industry works spout off misinformation like it's their day job.
post #70 of 314
Screw the haters, market forces set what people are willing to pay for things. People are willing to spend good money on something they really want. Obviously, enough people are willing to pay money for well-made denim with something 'special' too it, in this case it's the details and the fact that each is hand-made by one person. If you don't like it, don't buy it...buy something else.

I'm in the market for a new pair of denim, this may be it (although I'm a fan of completely plain back pockets, these have that subtle little design on them).
post #71 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
I spend 6 hours driving from LA to SF and this thread blows up into a depressing mess by the time i get home.
It's amusing to watch those that know nothing about how this industry works spout off misinformation like it's their day job.

I was wondering about that dude (not that many people are that obtuse) so I looked at his past posting, seems he really hates you and keeps saying SE sucks, BiG is better! I certainly don't have anything bad to say about BiG and props to them for their nice shop but did you run over his dog with your motorcycle or something?
post #72 of 314
I had a chance to buy Roy at the $150 price point, but passed it up for two simple reasons: too high a rise and too narow a leg opening on the straight. Simple as that.



The thread is so long because whatever123 cloaks his objections to ROY with a profound, compulsive, obsessive, fetishistic dislike of Self Edge. If BiG were selling Roys for $315 he'd be vicing the balls of anyone daring to object.
post #73 of 314
yes, i prefer big. just as many of you prefer se. its a preference, thats it. and yes, i questioned the 75%+ price increase. these jeans, imo, were an excellent buy at $150. currently, they are priced at $275 and there are, imo, several other competitors that offer more things then this particular jean does. if you disagree with me, i really dont care. if you dont like me questioning something, tough shit. this is a style forum and this is what is done. and thats that! good luck with the line...
post #74 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
yes, i prefer big. just as many of you prefer se. its a preference, thats it. and yes, i questioned the 75% price increase. these jeans, imo, were an excellent buy at $150. currently, they are priced at $275 and there are, imo, several other competitors that offer more things then this particular jean does. if you disagree with me, i really dont care. if you dont like me questioning something, tough shit. this is a style forum and this is what is done. and thats that! good luck with the line...
The problem is that you have not demonstrated technical expertise, have a history of bias and haven't gone into why the product is technically inferior. Now as you can note I have pointed out several ways in which the process is impressive but, not having seen the product, cannot comment on the actual materials and construction. The reason why people respect my opinion here and elsewhere is that I clearly enunciate my arguments, present their limits and have demonstrated both knowledge and taste, you haven't done any of those things here (maybe elsewhere I dunno you in real life) so your opinion is worth zilch, nada, 0. You can question what you want but the least I can do is be frank and tell you what your opinion is worth and why. full disclosure: I don't wear much heritage brands. The few pieces I own I got from SE but wouldn't have any problems getting stuff from the fine store that is BiG. I've inspected and worn various "heritage" products like 45rpm, engineered garment, flathead, etc.
post #75 of 314
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
yes, i prefer big. just as many of you prefer se. its a preference, thats it.

and yes, i questioned the 75%+ price increase.

these jeans, imo, were an excellent buy at $150. currently, they are priced at $275 and there are, imo, several other competitors that offer more things then this particular jean does. if you disagree with me, i really dont care. if you dont like me questioning something, tough shit. this is a style forum and this is what is done.

and thats that!

good luck with the line...



http://heydomeafavor.com/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Roy's Jeans - Single Man Made