• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patterned white tie for funeral?

CashmereLover

Reaction score
I've learned that you should have a solid white or black tie on funerals, depending on how close you are related to the person who's died.

Now, I have neither of these ties, so I'm looking to buy a white tie preparing myself for the "worst case scenario". I've found it difficult to find solid white or black quality ties at a good price, therefore I'm considering a Benjamin jacquard pattern white tie from eHaberdasher. To me, the floral-like pattern would be an expression of respect to the dead, just as you might want to put some flowers on the coffin during the funeral. After all, the most important thing should be thoughtfulness, right? In that case I find a subtly patterned quality white tie, carefully chosen and not randomly selected, much better than e.g. a cheap low-quality solid white tie from some local mall.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: just realized that the 3.5" width seems a lot. This Corneliani tie is 3 1/8" which is better, but what about the pattern?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of a solid white tie for a funeral. Its seems like this would limit you to wearing a dark shirt.

I have a black grenadine tie and a black satin tie with wavy tonal "stripes" (I wear the latter to funerals for more adventurous types). A black tie allows me to wear a white shirt and the textures give the tie some interest. Black grenadine ties are available many places, including Sam Hober and Kent Wang, both members here.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
I'm with thinman on the white tie at a funeral. Certainly would be unusual where I am (West coast of the US.) Where are you?

Although black is the tradtion, I rarely see a black tie at the funerals I go to. Usually just subduded, conservative styles of business ties.

EZ

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never done white tie at a funeral....I usually wear a mellow tie especially if coming straight from work.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Interesting, I did expect this to be a surprise for some cultures, although not Americans. I had no idea.
smile.gif

To clarify: white tie for close family, black tie for the rest.

Anyway, I'm in northern Europe, and I've actually never heard of any alternative to a solid white or black tie... We wear it with a solid white shirt. This is the most traditional and well known combination to me.

As for suit (since we're going quite general now), we would wear a solid black one. Dark gray or dark navy is acceptable, but black is the most suitable.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Solid black.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of tie rules at funerals.

In my opinion, a funeral is not the time or place to show your sartorial acumen. Conservative suit, white shirt, dark conservative tie. No pocket squares, cufflinks, felt lapel flowers, etc.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got some fairly dark blue ties. In the average poorly lit church they look black. So if you can't find a black tie it's a choice.

It's smart to get things like a black tie in advance. When things happen you really won't want to go shopping. I've got a black tie , a black sweater,black overcoat and black scarf just in case. If it's cold I'd rather not be wearing a light coloured overcoat or bright sweater.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I've never heard of tie rules at funerals.

In my opinion, a funeral is not the time or place to show your sartorial acumen. Conservative suit, white shirt, dark conservative tie. No pocket squares, cufflinks, felt lapel flowers, etc.

I agree with your opinion, except for the cufflinks. They should at least be very plain though. As for tie, I'm currently a bit ambivalent.

Originally Posted by Nicola
I've got some fairly dark blue ties. In the average poorly lit church they look black. So if you can't find a black tie it's a choice.

It's smart to get things like a black tie in advance. When things happen you really won't want to go shopping. I've got a black tie , a black sweater,black overcoat and black scarf just in case. If it's cold I'd rather not be wearing a light coloured overcoat or bright sweater.

Indeed, and I'm not attending to some funeral very soon (not that I know), but maybe next year I would expect to need a white tie.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My standard funeral attire is charcoal gray suit, white shirt, black grenadine tie, black shoes and belt, white linen pocket square in a Presidential fold, understated (i.e. silver or silver with MOP) cufflinks. No colors; no patterns. As I wrote before, the fanciest I get is a tonal pattern on a black tie. However, I am usually much more conservatively dressed than everyone else.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OakCreekHitter
Do NOT wear a white tie to funerals ever.

Not in US or CA then, but it's different in Europe - at least Sweden. I've heard it all my life, and moments ago I got it confirmed at Wikipedia and a funeral bureau (Fonus).

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OakCreekHitter
Do NOT wear a white tie to funerals ever.

Read the thread, Sir. The gentleman questioning is in northern Europe, and explained that white ties are customary there.

EZ

Big T

Reaction score
Are you just attending or are you the guest of honor at the funeral?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads