• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm waiting for a new suit to come in this week or early next. I've been very fortunate up until now that no details on any of my orders have been wrong, with the exception of wrong-colored linings. However, that's how I figure I'm due.

What types of detail mistakes have you experienced in the past and what, if any thing, did you do to resolve them?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you have the linings replaced or just kept them as is?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. wrong color of lining
2. belt loops instead of side buckles

Lived with them as I believe that after the first 5 minutes of disappointment, they dont matter in the sense that you like the suit based on how it looks like on you rather than small details.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest issues were with the white canvas/lining in a navy fresco jacket and wrong pocket styles (flapped instead of patch) on a sport coat - both went back to get fixed. A couple of times, they forgot the little belt tongue loop thing, obviously not worth fixing.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
My biggest issues were with the white canvas/lining in a navy fresco jacket and wrong pocket styles (flapped instead of patch) on a sport coat - both went back to get fixed. A couple of times, they forgot the little belt tongue loop thing, obviously not worth fixing.

How did they fix that ?

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm waiting for a new suit to come in this week or early next. I've been very fortunate up until now that no details on any of my orders have been wrong, with the exception of wrong-colored linings. However, that's how I figure I'm due.

What types of detail mistakes have you experienced in the past and what, if any thing, did you do to resolve them?

Package sent to wrong address!!!!! Never found! Tailor remade garment.

Styling errors depend on what was finished at last fitting...but I had sleeves shortened rather than lengthened on final garment, no flaps on my pockets despite request, buttons different than what I ordered. Each time maker (not all the same) remedied...but I agree with poster above that problems generally arise from lack of clarity/specificity or where I was uncertain or changed my mind.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
How did they fix that ?

I'm not sure and didn't ask. I assume they ordered more cloth (on their expense) and recut the front panels ?

There is no remnants of the original pockets on the coat now.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One other thing that I would consider a mistake that's hard to avoid - but that's not the tailor's - is the descrepancy between what I thought the cloth would look like based on a swatch and what it looked like when made up.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
One other thing that I would consider a mistake that's hard to avoid - but that's not the tailor's - is the descrepancy between what I thought the cloth would look like based on a swatch and what it looked like when made up.

Yeah which for me is one of the reasons I much prefer to source the cloth myself. More important than any savings, is seeing the whole cloth, particularly for large patterned stuff.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am getting an overcoat now. At the first fitting I was sure that he had cut the wrong cloth. I didn't say anything because I am a wiener. It was close enough, he's a nice man, etc. Then at the second fitting I took a closer look by the window. I think it is the right cloth after all. I will know for sure when it arrives.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I am getting an overcoat now. At the first fitting I was sure that he had cut the wrong cloth. I didn't say anything because I am a wiener. It was close enough, he's a nice man, etc. Then at the second fitting I took a closer look by the window. I think it is the right cloth after all. I will know for sure when it arrives.

I have had that experience as well. I was having a summer suit made up in that lightweight Minnis Finesse Super 100s + Cashmere. There are three shades -- beige, sand and fawn -- next to each other in the book (they have sequential numbers as well). At each stage, the suit looked to be of a different one of these...depending on the lighting and my perspective. As for knowing for sure after the final garment arrives? Nope, I am still not sure it is the fabric I selected. But I'm also not sure that it is not! Regardless, it made up quite nicely.

Quite frankly, I have had very few problems over the years. I am sure that consistency in tailors and consistency in my own particular approach and expectations has helped contribute to that.

I would note the one challenge I have encountered as of late...though it rests with me and not my suitmaker...is that is my weight tends to fluctuate a bit more than when I was younger...and that can be true between fittings and a garment's completion. That perfectly fitted garment in April may not fit quite so perfectly in July
frown.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sleeves cut two inches short and had to be replaced. Otherwise, some trivial stuff that I let pass.

Doxe

Reaction score
Keyhole lapel hole instead of straight cut.

Still drives me nuts every time I wear the suit.

For my tux I told them no lapel hole - didn't want to risk the mistake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads