or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong? - Page 6

post #76 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
A good policy, but it also tends to undo any cost savings you might have otherwise achieved, which is the reason why many go the CMT route in the first place.

.

Yeah, but as I said here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post
Yeah which for me is one of the reasons I much prefer to source the cloth myself. More important than any savings, is seeing the whole cloth, particularly for large patterned stuff.

obviously that becomes moot if we are discussing grey flannel or navy hopsack. As to your second point, I actually take a bit opposite approach. I don't care which mill the fabric comes from, I pick the "best" grey flannel or whatever to my eye. Whether it's Minnis or lanficio whatever, I care more about the feel and look than where it came from. I don't differentiate as much between Harrisons and Dormeuil for example, as most people here do. Not saying I am right and everyone else wrong, just that the mills mean less to me.
post #77 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

obviously that becomes moot if we are discussing grey flannel or navy hopsack. As to your second point, I actually take a bit opposite approach. I don't care which mill the fabric comes from, I pick the "best" grey flannel or whatever to my eye. Whether it's Minnis or lanficio whatever, I care more about the feel and look than where it came from. I don't differentiate as much between Harrisons and Dormeuil for example, as most people here do. Not saying I am right and everyone else wrong, just that the mills mean less to me.

agree wholeheartedly
post #78 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post
Yeah, but as I said here:



obviously that becomes moot if we are discussing grey flannel or navy hopsack. As to your second point, I actually take a bit opposite approach. I don't care which mill the fabric comes from, I pick the "best" grey flannel or whatever to my eye. Whether it's Minnis or lanficio whatever, I care more about the feel and look than where it came from. I don't differentiate as much between Harrisons and Dormeuil for example, as most people here do. Not saying I am right and everyone else wrong, just that the mills mean less to me.


Do you usually check with your tailor before purchasing a particular fabric for another source, or do you just buy it and hope that he will be able to work with it for whatever you are having made at the time?

-LR
post #79 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrcustom View Post
Do you usually check with your tailor before purchasing a particular fabric for another source, or do you just buy it and hope that he will be able to work with it for whatever you are having made at the time?

-LR

Well, I mean it's fabric, not car parts. Assuming you are not buying something from your local craft shop, when you touch something you have an idea as to the quality. I use NSM and Mina is not a tailor but she does check the cloth I bring to her and I know she has mentoined stuff that she does not like to "work" with (breanish). Probably my favorite cloth is a jacket that I am wearing today, a black and white plaid with blue overcheck tweed. Wears beautifully and feels like it will last about 20 years. I've worn it regularly and it looks new. It's a no name fabric though. My biggest dissappointment so far had been a Harrison's cloth, I have a woodhouse wool/cashmere that I am very excited to get made up, have a great JP Hardy gunclub a great Zegna cashmere and a great no name cashmere. All these fabrics I purchased because I liked what I saw and felt (except the harrisons, I used forum groupthink for that one), the mill was not a factor. I recently came across some wool from a Japanese mill which was wonderful.
post #80 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post
obviously that becomes moot if we are discussing grey flannel or navy hopsack. As to your second point, I actually take a bit opposite approach. I don't care which mill the fabric comes from, I pick the "best" grey flannel or whatever to my eye. Whether it's Minnis or lanficio whatever, I care more about the feel and look than where it came from. I don't differentiate as much between Harrisons and Dormeuil for example, as most people here do. Not saying I am right and everyone else wrong, just that the mills mean less to me.

yes
look comes first
but then if you feel the cloth and it feels like shit
you wouldn't do it
post #81 of 148
the DEA could show up and you'll have to toss the goods into the water.
post #82 of 148
unsubscribed.
post #83 of 148
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4phage View Post
yes
look comes first
but then if you feel the cloth and it feels like shit
you wouldn't do it

But my point is that the finer differences in look are highly dependant on environment and thus not worth basing a decision on.
post #84 of 148
Quote:
Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
What's the worst that can happen? Suit comes in with one button instead of the new 3 button style, then you try it on and think hmmm that's actually not too bad and you send all your suits back to be converted to one button?

No biggie

The worst that could happen would be something like you walk in the door and the tailor shoots you in the face.
post #85 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
But my point is that the finer differences in look are highly dependant on environment and thus not worth basing a decision on.
What have you ordered...?
post #86 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in California View Post
The worst that could happen would be something like you walk in the door and the tailor shoots you in the face.

Not that bad if you're ugly.
post #87 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post
Not that bad if you're ugly.
An excellent point. The most that could go wrong is you go into the tailor and he shoots you in the leg, takes you into the basement, tortures you for 50 years then you die and go to Hell for eternity, which you find out actually exists and you still have to pay taxes.
post #88 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in California View Post
An excellent point. The most that could go wrong is you go into the tailor and he shoots you in the leg, takes you into the basement, tortures you for 50 years then you die and go to Hell for eternity, which you find out actually exists and you still have to pay taxes.

Quite fitting ending for many SFers. The taxes thing sucks though. Try again.
post #89 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post
Well, I mean it's fabric, not car parts. Assuming you are not buying something from your local craft shop, when you touch something you have an idea as to the quality. I use NSM and Mina is not a tailor but she does check the cloth I bring to her and I know she has mentoined stuff that she does not like to "work" with (breanish). Probably my favorite cloth is a jacket that I am wearing today, a black and white plaid with blue overcheck tweed. Wears beautifully and feels like it will last about 20 years. I've worn it regularly and it looks new. It's a no name fabric though. My biggest dissappointment so far had been a Harrison's cloth, I have a woodhouse wool/cashmere that I am very excited to get made up, have a great JP Hardy gunclub a great Zegna cashmere and a great no name cashmere. All these fabrics I purchased because I liked what I saw and felt (except the harrisons, I used forum groupthink for that one), the mill was not a factor. I recently came across some wool from a Japanese mill which was wonderful.

Thanks for the info. Have you found a particular place for sourcing fabrics that you would recommend. Based purely on great quality and feel, whether they be from well recognized mills or not?

-LR
post #90 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
But my point is that the finer differences in look are highly dependant on environment and thus not worth basing a decision on.

i disagree
if you have several different shades of grey
and you want a different specific shade
it is highly relevant.
next comes the feel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong?