or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong?

post #1 of 148
Thread Starter 
I'm waiting for a new suit to come in this week or early next. I've been very fortunate up until now that no details on any of my orders have been wrong, with the exception of wrong-colored linings. However, that's how I figure I'm due.

What types of detail mistakes have you experienced in the past and what, if any thing, did you do to resolve them?
post #2 of 148
Did you have the linings replaced or just kept them as is?
post #3 of 148
The package never come...
post #4 of 148
1. wrong color of lining 2. belt loops instead of side buckles Lived with them as I believe that after the first 5 minutes of disappointment, they dont matter in the sense that you like the suit based on how it looks like on you rather than small details.
post #5 of 148
My biggest issues were with the white canvas/lining in a navy fresco jacket and wrong pocket styles (flapped instead of patch) on a sport coat - both went back to get fixed. A couple of times, they forgot the little belt tongue loop thing, obviously not worth fixing.
post #6 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
My biggest issues were with the white canvas/lining in a navy fresco jacket and wrong pocket styles (flapped instead of patch) on a sport coat - both went back to get fixed. A couple of times, they forgot the little belt tongue loop thing, obviously not worth fixing.

How did they fix that ?
post #7 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
I'm waiting for a new suit to come in this week or early next. I've been very fortunate up until now that no details on any of my orders have been wrong, with the exception of wrong-colored linings. However, that's how I figure I'm due.

What types of detail mistakes have you experienced in the past and what, if any thing, did you do to resolve them?

Package sent to wrong address!!!!! Never found! Tailor remade garment.

Styling errors depend on what was finished at last fitting...but I had sleeves shortened rather than lengthened on final garment, no flaps on my pockets despite request, buttons different than what I ordered. Each time maker (not all the same) remedied...but I agree with poster above that problems generally arise from lack of clarity/specificity or where I was uncertain or changed my mind.
post #8 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post
How did they fix that ?

I'm not sure and didn't ask. I assume they ordered more cloth (on their expense) and recut the front panels ?

There is no remnants of the original pockets on the coat now.
post #9 of 148
One other thing that I would consider a mistake that's hard to avoid - but that's not the tailor's - is the descrepancy between what I thought the cloth would look like based on a swatch and what it looked like when made up.
post #10 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
One other thing that I would consider a mistake that's hard to avoid - but that's not the tailor's - is the descrepancy between what I thought the cloth would look like based on a swatch and what it looked like when made up.

Yeah which for me is one of the reasons I much prefer to source the cloth myself. More important than any savings, is seeing the whole cloth, particularly for large patterned stuff.
post #11 of 148
I am getting an overcoat now. At the first fitting I was sure that he had cut the wrong cloth. I didn't say anything because I am a wiener. It was close enough, he's a nice man, etc. Then at the second fitting I took a closer look by the window. I think it is the right cloth after all. I will know for sure when it arrives.
post #12 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I am getting an overcoat now. At the first fitting I was sure that he had cut the wrong cloth. I didn't say anything because I am a wiener. It was close enough, he's a nice man, etc. Then at the second fitting I took a closer look by the window. I think it is the right cloth after all. I will know for sure when it arrives.

I have had that experience as well. I was having a summer suit made up in that lightweight Minnis Finesse Super 100s + Cashmere. There are three shades -- beige, sand and fawn -- next to each other in the book (they have sequential numbers as well). At each stage, the suit looked to be of a different one of these...depending on the lighting and my perspective. As for knowing for sure after the final garment arrives? Nope, I am still not sure it is the fabric I selected. But I'm also not sure that it is not! Regardless, it made up quite nicely.

Quite frankly, I have had very few problems over the years. I am sure that consistency in tailors and consistency in my own particular approach and expectations has helped contribute to that.

I would note the one challenge I have encountered as of late...though it rests with me and not my suitmaker...is that is my weight tends to fluctuate a bit more than when I was younger...and that can be true between fittings and a garment's completion. That perfectly fitted garment in April may not fit quite so perfectly in July
post #13 of 148
Sleeves cut two inches short and had to be replaced. Otherwise, some trivial stuff that I let pass.
post #14 of 148
Keyhole lapel hole instead of straight cut.

Still drives me nuts every time I wear the suit.

For my tux I told them no lapel hole - didn't want to risk the mistake.
post #15 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxe View Post
Keyhole lapel hole instead of straight cut.

Still drives me nuts every time I wear the suit.


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong?