or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases - Page 12

post #166 of 197

Great review, thanks. However SAB, do NOT use JE Sedgwick's leather. They may have done in the distant past, but definately not now. I am not sure how this idea got about, but it is wrong. I have been told where they buy their bridle, but would prefer not to say, because I have not confirmed it.

post #167 of 197
how do you guys care for your sabs? and what do you do with any discoloration from newspapers/magazines? how do you deal with scratches?

thanks!
post #168 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude View Post

how do you guys care for your sabs? and what do you do with any discoloration from newspapers/magazines? how do you deal with scratches?

thanks!

 

Discoloration? Deal with scratches? The reason they cost so much is that you aren't meant to worry about trifles such as fair wear and tear. Leather briefcases are meant to age, not be kept in pristine condition. Why pay so much to have a thing made almost indestructible, but then keep it in cotton wool? Much as I enjoyed the very good review a few posts back, it struck me as slightly odd to have an almost vintage case in as-new condition - that's quite wrong in my book.

 
I've recently inherited my father's bridle-hide briefcase. It wasn't SAB but was made to the same specifications by a local saddler in Newcastle-upon-Tyne about 40 years ago, so it's now got a bit of 'character' from where he banged it against the car door each day he went to work, or the time he got caught in the rain, or whatever. I like it very much for that very reason - if it was still in shop-fresh condition, it would mean nothing to me.
post #169 of 197
great i appreciate your input
post #170 of 197
Thread Starter 
Nice review and pics, superfilmbuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isbister View Post

Discoloration? Deal with scratches? The reason they cost so much is that you aren't meant to worry about trifles such as fair wear and tear. Leather briefcases are meant to age, not be kept in pristine condition.

Agreed. I very much like the way my SAB bag is aging and have not babied it at all.
post #171 of 197
I have used nothing but saddle soap on mine. Don't seem to do nothing much, but no down-side neither.
post #172 of 197
Picked up a slightly abused BB Peal 4" tan lid-over at Marshalls the other day. CDN$400, in the women's handbag section. "Original Retail $800". This is the same store that was selling BB GF Tuxedos for about $400, and then put them on clearance. Winners/Marshalls in Canada seem to have no idea how to price BB merch. Last year I bought a three-ply Scottish cashmere v-neck NWT ("$468", with Canadian markup) for $80. But I digress.

A dozen or so deep impressions from (presumably longer) thumbnails around the handle, and the odd scratch. The only other issue is some discolouration on the back, as if the colour had lifted. Perhaps due to a sticker, or from years sitting on a mirror in a display case? Probably the former, given the size. I'm perfectly happy re normal wear, but not sure if there's anything to be done here. I suppose I'll see what happens after I apply the cream.



The case came with the luggage tag and two keys (and bag/cream/cloth). Does anyone know if this model came with the leather key bell?
post #173 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenkin View Post


The case came with the luggage tag and two keys (and bag/cream/cloth). Does anyone know if this model came with the leather key bell?

It looks like a nice colour, and hopefully some of those marks will fade with the application of some cream or a bit of saddle soap.

I could be wrong, but I've never seen a hard-sided briefcase with a key bell, so I'd say that it probably did not come with one.
post #174 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isbister View Post

Discoloration? Deal with scratches? The reason they cost so much is that you aren't meant to worry about trifles such as fair wear and tear. Leather briefcases are meant to age, not be kept in pristine condition. Why pay so much to have a thing made almost indestructible, but then keep it in cotton wool? Much as I enjoyed the very good review a few posts back, it struck me as slightly odd to have an almost vintage case in as-new condition - that's quite wrong in my book.
 
I couldn't agree more with this post. teacha.gif

I condition the leather every now and then, but I don't sweat over the scratches and spots. It was hard to deal with the first scratch, but now as my leather cases age and develop patina, I don't care about marks.
post #175 of 197

Can you say what Marshall's that was?  Do they have more?  Great score!

 

JIM

post #176 of 197
Yonge & Gerrard. Didn't see anything else, but to be honest I didn't look. I think the few remaining suits there were in large sizes. Earlier this year they had really nice Fitzgerald pinstripes down to a 38.

All Canadian Winners started getting the Brooks stuff last year. You have to watch out for the 346 Outlet items (mainly jackets), and some dress shirts that have a weird red & blue label (not bad, but the colours never seem that great). The ties are always irregulars, but you'll see full quality belts, suits, and sweaters. The only pants I ever found were poplin khakis and those strange non-standard made in Italy Madison fit ones. I had no idea until now they also had leather goods. I guess I'll have to check now. As with the briefcase, Winners usually sells things for about 25% of retail--the "original price" is wildly inaccurate, even when it's NWT. So you'll see a $20 embroidered leather & cotton webbing belt, but a $25 ribbon belt. Yet the original tags say $100 and $60 respectively. Meanwhile Sean John is $40 because it's "leather".
post #177 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

It looks like a nice colour, and hopefully some of those marks will fade with the application of some cream or a bit of saddle soap.

I could be wrong, but I've never seen a hard-sided briefcase with a key bell, so I'd say that it probably did not come with one.

The Brooks site didn't have good photos of the 4" but the 3" did show my bag as it arrived (luggage tag secured inside with keys) so you are probably right.

I applied cream yesterday and the marks immediately disappeared. You can seem them now that the case has dried, but they have faded significantly. The whole case is slightly darker now.
post #178 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

It looks like a nice colour, and hopefully some of those marks will fade with the application of some cream or a bit of saddle soap.

I could be wrong, but I've never seen a hard-sided briefcase with a key bell, so I'd say that it probably did not come with one.

My SAB/Peal 4" lid over (hard-sided) case came with a key bell. Here are some pictures that I posted ages ago in the briefcase thread:





post #179 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 518aata View Post

My SAB/Peal 4" lid over (hard-sided) case came with a key bell.

Interesting - thanks for posting that info, as I'd previously never seen something like that.
post #180 of 197
This could be a special makeup for BB peal &co. SAB standard is keys attached to a ball chain on the name/id tag.
On a another note. I haven’t used my SAB briefcase over 6 months now. Just too lazy to use a lid over briefcase .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases