or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases - Page 8

post #106 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post

how do these (soft) briefcases age, I seem some similar styles of briefcases at a thift store and I have to say when they get old they get pretty beat up. it kind puts me off getting a soft briefcase, perhaps if the leather was substantially thick and heavy is will mantain its shape even when the briefcase gets soft after being gets broken in. on the other hand if it is packed with a laptop and papers then i guess it doesn't matter if it gets soft it will still have form because of the stuff inside. but the leather still needs to be pretty thick, like a belt, even a thick belt gets soft with use so what chance does a briefcase have. another solution woudl be a hard briefcase but i am not too fond of hard briefcases either.

My SAB case is made with thick leather - thick enough to use for a nice belt for sure. My Filson 252 (all leather field satchel) is made with leather so thick it took a year for it to even start to soften. Neither bag is suffering from use.
post #107 of 199
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek View Post

Havana seems a little bland to me. Maybe the pictures don't do it justice. Havana would match better with most of my shoes, but it seems to "fit in" a bit more and look like every other bag.
I did not realize that London tan and dark London tan were different colors.

There was only one "London tan" option when I got mine, even though I think it's called Dark London Tan. That said, I do recall one of the ladies at Sterling & Burke pointing out a lighter London tan wallet when I was there once. I agree re: the blandness of Havana, but it would certainly mask any dirt. Chestnut might be a good compromise, though I'm not really sure that there will be that much of a difference between that and London tan in terms of what's visible. This is a tough one.
post #108 of 199
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

My SAB case is made with thick leather - thick enough to use for a nice belt for sure. My Filson 252 (all leather field satchel) is made with leather so thick it took a year for it to even start to soften. Neither bag is suffering from use.

Right, I think it's important to distinguish between bridle leather and other forms of leather. Bridle leather is quite thick and durable. It typically only looks better with age.
post #109 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPennypacker View Post

There was only one "London tan" option when I got mine, even though I think it's called Dark London Tan. That said, I do recall one of the ladies at Sterling & Burke pointing out a lighter London tan wallet when I was there once. I agree re: the blandness of Havana, but it would certainly mask any dirt. Chestnut might be a good compromise, though I'm not really sure that there will be that much of a difference between that and London tan in terms of what's visible. This is a tough one.

Anyone have some aged/patina pictures?
post #110 of 199
I am thinking about Swaine Adeney Brigg's Bond case. My main concern is the size. I am 160lbs. 5'10 with a small/medium frame.

Do you think the 4.5 inch is too big? While SAB does make the attaché in 3.5, I find that too small. What are your thoughts on attaché sizes? I find that 4inches is perfect in terms of aesthetics and practicality.
post #111 of 199
My only recommendation would be not to purchase anything from Sterling and Burke. I ordered a Brigg umbrella and a leather briefcase and waited for 2 years for it, before being told that they'd not be able to confirm the delivery of the order. This is despite countless prior emails informing me that I'd receive the bag and umbrella in a month or so. This 'you will receive your bag in a couple of months' kept replaying every time the 'due date' arrived. I was foolish enough to believe them.

As a result, I missed out on getting my Brigg products when I was in London during their sale, all because I thought Sterling and Burke were going to honor the purchase.
post #112 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

My only recommendation would be not to purchase anything from Sterling and Burke. I ordered a Brigg umbrella and a leather briefcase and waited for 2 years for it, before being told that they'd not be able to confirm the delivery of the order. This is despite countless prior emails informing me that I'd receive the bag and umbrella in a month or so. This 'you will receive your bag in a couple of months' kept replaying every time the 'due date' arrived. I was foolish enough to believe them.
As a result, I missed out on getting my Brigg products when I was in London during their sale, all because I thought Sterling and Burke were going to honor the purchase.

Did you ultimately get your briefcase? Where do you recommend I shop?
post #113 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post

Ah, then the rumours of SAB's death have been greatly exaggerated.

On monday, I was in Piccadilly looking for a wallet for my friend's 21st birthday present, and planned to check SAB. Closed down. The sign on the window suggested that they're relocating, though. I wonder if anyone knows more about this?
post #114 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarboy View Post

Did you ultimately get your briefcase? Where do you recommend I shop?

Nope, I did not. They told me that they couldn't confirm that they can complete the order after I asked them point blank, after a year and a half, whether they intended to complete the order.

I recommend you wait for Brigg's sale and purchase it directly from their store. I did that,
post #115 of 199
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

Nope, I did not. They told me that they couldn't confirm that they can complete the order after I asked them point blank, after a year and a half, whether they intended to complete the order.
I recommend you wait for Brigg's sale and purchase it directly from their store. I did that,

What was their explanation? The ladies in the Georgetown store seem quite helpful.
post #116 of 199
From my experience with Classic Luggage, they were polite enough but they didn't seem to have an accurate insight into the production process. They never gave updates, but whenever I'd call/email after a revised delivery date passed, I'd get the same "we are working very hard on your order" line.

I have several other cases so I didn't mind too much that it might take a while, but in my opinion they should have been more proactive with keeping me updated of missed delivery dates.
post #117 of 199
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtripper View Post

From my experience with Classic Luggage, they were polite enough but they didn't seem to have an accurate insight into the production process. They never gave updates, but whenever I'd call/email after a revised delivery date passed, I'd get the same "we are working very hard on your order" line.
I have several other cases so I didn't mind too much that it might take a while, but in my opinion they should have been more proactive with keeping me updated of missed delivery dates.

For what it's worth, that's more feedback than I received ordering directly from SAB. It was seriously some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I guess Sterling & Burke isn't any more successful at pulling info from them. I think the moral of the story is that once you place your order, don't expect to learn anything useful until the box shows up at your door.

That said, something else must be going on if you don't have anything after 1.5 years... I had my custom order after 4 months.
post #118 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPennypacker View Post

For what it's worth, that's more feedback than I received ordering directly from SAB. It was seriously some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I guess Sterling & Burke isn't any more successful at pulling info from them. I think the moral of the story is that once you place your order, don't expect to learn anything useful until the box shows up at your door.
That said, something else must be going on if you don't have anything after 1.5 years... I had my custom order after 4 months.

They didn't have any explanation whatsoever.

What irked me was their blatant contradictions. They once told me that the bag is 'CURRENTLY IN PRODUCTION AND WILL BE WITH YOU IN THREE WEEKS'. I waited for 2 months and asked them, and they said that Brigg has halted its supplies to SAB for the time being, and the bag was not made up, and unlikely to be made up. That was really the final straw.

What did you custom order? And how long ago was this?
post #119 of 199
I guess I was also upset that because I already had placed an order with Sterling and Burke, I decided to miss Brigg's sales, even though there was 20% off the bag. And when they told me that they wouldn't be able to complete the order, 1 week after the sales ended., imagine my disappointment.
post #120 of 199
Thread Starter 
I ordered a custom Westminster SS (posted earlier in the thread) around November 2010. Received it in February 2011. I've been contemplating acquiring a Brigg umbrella for a while now, but you're making me rethink that, unless it's one that they have on hand in their store.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases