• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Levis 501 Shrink-to-fit to fit like Levis 511s

crn001

Reaction score
I've never bought a pair of STFs before, so I'm not sure if I can achieve this, but...I'm trying to get a pair that will shrink to fit almost like 511s, but maybe a tiny bit looser.

I usually wear a 30-31'' waist, and a 30-32'' inseam. Does anyone know if I bought a pair of 32x34 501 STFs if I could get them anywhere close to 511s? It doesn't have to be exact, because 511s are a tiny bit too tight for me, but if I could get close that would be amazing.

Thanks!

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
I wouldn't really describe the fit of the STF 501's as particularly slim. Great jeans, though. I have mine on every single day.

bombers

Reaction score
size down 3 and then prepare for the emasculation of your manhood.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They're different cuts. How could you do this? Just buy 511s if that's what you want.

ericmorgan56

Reaction score
The 501 is a much looser fit. You could buy them true to size before shrinking and that will give you a slimmer fit but still nothing like the 511.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get a pair in 26x34 and don't bother trying to button them up. Balls out is the new black.

trafficjam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ericmorgan56
The 501 is a much looser fit. You could buy them true to size before shrinking and that will give you a slimmer fit but still nothing like the 511.
I'm doing exactly this; the jeans are in the mail as we speak. Will report back with results, although expecting them to end up like an entirely different cut is
eh.gif

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bombers
size down 3 and then prepare for the emasculation of your manhood.

This. 501s have a higher rise and are more anti-fit, though (more room in the top block), so that's already going to be different. As far as the size of the leg opening, I don't think you're going to get it that small on its own no matter how much you size down. You'd need to take them to a tailor to get them tapered.

And I think there might be a pinned thread for this type of question somewhere at the top of the list of topics...

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do I get an apple to taste like a pear?

With enough work with flavorings and genetic engineering you probably can but why don't you just buy a pear?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You can't get a square peg to fit into a round hole son.

If you want a slightly looser fit on the 511's then go for a 514 which is a slightly looser fit than the 511's. Or, size up one on the 511's. But stay the **** away from the 501's.

wanger

Reaction score
I beg to differ.. I actually got two pairs of STFS recently, the first being TTS (my true waist being 32) which fit still a bit too baggy for my tastes so I sized down one to 31 and they turned out perfectly. They're definitely not as slim as 511s but those were a bit too slim for me in the first place anyways. They were pretty tight while drying but as long as you keep em on during the drying process the waist shouldn't shrink too much.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
How do I get an apple to taste like a pear?

With enough work with flavorings and genetic engineering you probably can but why don't you just buy a pear?

There's this one kind of apple - I forget the name of it off the top of my head, but I've been buying them lately at my local farmers' market - that totally tastes like an Asian pear. I think it's an older heirloom variety, maybe German or Central/Eastern European. Absolutely delicious.

crn001

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wanger
I beg to differ.. I actually got two pairs of STFS recently, the first being TTS (my true waist being 32) which fit still a bit too baggy for my tastes so I sized down one to 31 and they turned out perfectly. They're definitely not as slim as 511s but those were a bit too slim for me in the first place anyways. They were pretty tight while drying but as long as you keep em on during the drying process the waist shouldn't shrink too much.
This is more what I meant with my post. Thanks! I should have worded it better. I understand the cuts different, I just didn't know how far I could push the shrinking. I would just buy 511s but I can't find them in the color I want and I would never wear them enough to justify paying more than levis prices.

jay3429

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crn001
This is more what I meant with my post. Thanks! I should have worded it better. I understand the cuts different, I just didn't know how far I could push the shrinking. I would just buy 511s but I can't find them in the color I want and I would never wear them enough to justify paying more than levis prices.
I don't understand why you don't just go get 514s. Clearly, you don't have the body type for 511s but you still want something slimmer than the 501 cut. Shrinking 501s down won't get you that slim tapered look. I don't think the 514s are tapered either, but you might as well get a finished product rather than trying your luck on something you're clueless about. You can try to get close, but you might also not be able to put your jeans on by the time you're done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads