or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing - Page 114

post #1696 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozothepope View Post
 

Quick question: Club Monaco offers free shipping on orders over $150 in Canada.  If I only wanted a pair of $5 socks, could I then in theory also order a $200 dollar sweater to get over the free shipping mark, then immediately return the sweater once I got my package, saving me in the end 8 dollars (their standard shipping fee on orders under $150)?

 

Is this a thing?  Do people do this all the time at other stores and I'm just realizing this little free shipping loophole now?  And yes, my name is George Costanza.

 

To be fair they provide free shipping as an incentive for you to overbuy, which will increase their revenue and probably profit too if you happen to like the things you throw in. It works for them. But does it work for you to make a $200 purchase for a pair of sock and spend time returning the sweater? You decide.

post #1697 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by J BAILEY View Post
 

 not sure if srs, but this is a dumb plan because you'd be out the cost of return shipping for the sweater.


not if your return in-store.

post #1698 of 2029

^ that is true, although if you have access to a brick-and-mortar CM than you could probably just buy the socks there (at least, all the ones I've been to seem to have a good selection of them).

post #1699 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post


You want a pair of socks? I wasn't aware that CM was the only company that sells socks...

NOT sure if serious brah

It was a hypothetical question.  I have no interest in buying socks -- it was just the cheapest thing I could think of.  My question really has more to do with online shopping/free shipping than solely Club Monaco's policy.  But I do believe Club Monaco offers a pre-paid postage label for returns, so there wouldn't be a fee.  I was just wondering if this is a common practice. 

 

Yes, you could call it being cheap or being a "shit," but so is making clothes in 3rd world nations and paying your employees pennies.

post #1700 of 2029

^ well the shipping label is prepaid but they will deduct money from your refund. And let's keep calm shall we...

post #1701 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxamazexxx View Post
 

^ well the shipping label is prepaid but they will deduct money from your refund. And let's keep calm shall we...

Ahh, I'm just seeing this now.  $5 fee, it looks like.

post #1702 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozothepope View Post

Ahh, I'm just seeing this now.  $5 fee, it looks like.
That's how it typically works at most places.
post #1703 of 2029
plus all the effort of going to pick it up, then rewrap and address, go back to the post office and mail it back to them, etc. It'll take you at least a half hour to rewrap that sweater and get to a post office and stand in line and mail it out and get back home... to save $8 in shipping?
post #1704 of 2029
I've added something extraneous to get over to the free shipping limit, then returned it in store, keeping the item I wanted. I did it because the item I wanted wasn't stocked in the size I needed in store, but was available online, and I didn't want to pay for shipping.

I feel I've given them enough of my business to justify this, but others might disagree with this.
post #1705 of 2029

yeah, it's all good. Their storefronts and online presence are all part of their business.

 

I've purchased multiple sizes of items online, then returned the items that don't fit in-store. I keep some items and I return some, and just like you said it's more business for CM, and if you're over that free shipping mark it's just an extra incentive. Only one CM store in my city even has men's, and they barely have any selection, and when there's sales online with a ton of selection I'm sure they expect some people to pad their order to get free shipping...and others that will add extra items that they intend on keeping.

post #1706 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozothepope View Post

It was a hypothetical question.  I have no interest in buying socks -- it was just the cheapest thing I could think of.  My question really has more to do with online shopping/free shipping than solely Club Monaco's policy.  But I do believe Club Monaco offers a pre-paid postage label for returns, so there wouldn't be a fee.  I was just wondering if this is a common practice. 

Yes, you could call it being cheap or being a "shit," but so is making clothes in 3rd world nations and paying your employees pennies.

Fair enough. Do as you please. Where do you live?
post #1707 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

plus all the effort of going to pick it up, then rewrap and address, go back to the post office and mail it back to them, etc. It'll take you at least a half hour to rewrap that sweater and get to a post office and stand in line and mail it out and get back home... to save $8 in shipping?
Agreed. Not worth the trouble IMO. Even if you are returning instore you need to factor the time that you spend doing that too.
post #1708 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozothepope View Post

Quick question: Club Monaco offers free shipping on orders over $150 in Canada.  If I only wanted a pair of $5 socks, could I then in theory also order a $200 dollar sweater to get over the free shipping mark, then immediately return the sweater once I got my package, saving me in the end 8 dollars (their standard shipping fee on orders under $150)?

Is this a thing?  Do people do this all the time at other stores and I'm just realizing this little free shipping loophole now?  And yes, my name is George Costanza.

Wow, lol. I'm guessing that would work. However, if you're going into the store, why not just buy the socks there?

My best advice would be to spend a couple of days googling coupon codes for free shipping, or wait for a promotion. Seems like less of a hassle to me.
post #1709 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post

Agreed. Not worth the trouble IMO. Even if you are returning instore you need to factor the time that you spend doing that too.

Gas, bus fare, time, etc, etc.
post #1710 of 2029

Has anyone tried on this peacoat by Club Monaco? (http://www.clubmonaco.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23423266&orderSourceCode=0)

 

How does it compare to, say, J.Crew's Bayswater peacoat?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing