or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive) › Forum-bans are going to be happening
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Forum-bans are going to be happening - Page 3

post #31 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapp View Post
Interest checks are dumb and shouldn't be allowed. I don't think sellers should be allowed to bump at all for adding items. Of course there are times when this won't be to the best advantage to sellers or even to potential buyers. But in the interest of both fairness and simplicity (and in creating an understandable system that can be reasonably monitored without the need for an army of moderators) it should just be understood: once you start a FS thread, the seller cannot bump for any reason except to announce a legitimate price drop. Period. Period! If it's just clear like this, sellers can and will organize their selling strategies accordingly. And although it's not perfect (no solution is) they can at least do so knowing they won't get knocked down the because of bogus bumps.
I dont agree with your opinion on IC, but thats subject to the forum rules--if its not allowed, then no1 should do it. I was thinking, actually, free buming is a dumber thing and is equally bad. What about making a rule that all sellers can only have one thread and bump it every other week or sth like that (and requiring that sellers need to have certain number of posts before staring their sale threads)? And disabling bumps by others?
post #32 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badseeds View Post
I dont agree with your opinion on IC, but thats subject to the forum rules--if its not allowed, then no1 should do it. I was thinking, actually, free buming is a dumber thing and is equally bad. What about making a rule that all sellers can only have one thread and bump it every other week or sth like that? And disabling bumps by others?
and I hereby nominate you personally to mod this. Your responsibility is to: 1. watch every thread in B&S S&D 2. watch every thread in B&S MC 3. start a stop watch for each and every thread in both that counts down from 1,209,600 seconds 4. warn any poster who gets in before the timer has reached zero (oh and trust me, they will) 5. implement appropriate punitive actions for each. Please note that, with sellers in all parts of the world, you will be expected to work 24 hours a day and not leave SF at any time there. No remuneration is offered for this. In addition to the zero compensation that we all happily receive, please note that you will be expected to purchase the stopwatches out of your own pocket. Please do not skimp. The members here see all and whine fast. Thank you for your suggestion, and look forward to a happy and productive working relationship.
post #33 of 91
^^ lol
post #34 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
and I hereby nominate you personally to mod this. Your responsibility is to: 1. watch every thread in B&S S&D 2. watch every thread in B&S MC 3. start a stop watch for each and every thread in both that counts down from 604,800 seconds 4. warn any poster who gets in before the timer has reached zero (oh and trust me, they will) 5. implement appropriate punitive actions for each. Please note that, with sellers in all parts of the world, you will be expected to work 24 hours a day and not leave SF at any time there. No remuneration is offered for this. In addition to the zero compensation that we all happily receive, please note that you will be expected to purchase the stopwatches out of your own pocket. Please do not skimp. The members here see all and whine fast. Thank you for your suggestion, and look forward to a happy and productive working relationship.
what I was suggesting is to change the forum system setup to the following: 1. each member can only have ONE sale thread 2. others can post in the thread, but it doesn't get bumped up 3. members need to reach certain number of posts before starting their sale threads. 4.each thread can only be bumped up once every week or every other week by the seller. maybe its not a good idea, but I dont think it is unrealistic or needs to be done manually. Instead of being sarcastic, maybe it is better for one to think more carefully and be constructive.
post #35 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badseeds View Post
what I was suggesting is to change the forum system setup to the following: 1. each member can only have ONE sale thread 2. others can post in the thread, but it doesn't get bumped up 3. members need to reach certain number of posts before starting their sale threads. 4.each thread can only be bumped up once every week or every other week by the seller. maybe its not a good idea, but I dont think it is unrealistic or needs to be done manually. Instead of being sarcastic, maybe it is better for one to think more carefully and be constructive.
and I reiterate my offer for you to single-handedly mod this, and once again offer you my best wishes. As per your revised suggestion, in addition to the above, you will also be required to note the name and time of thread for each and every poster in both boards to ensure that no one starts a second thread. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Be very careful, they're sneaky round here. Watch out for people cross posting with less than a week between thread starts and bumps. You will be expected to note this. Once again, they see all and whine fast. There's only sixty thousand of them. How hard can it be? It's not thankless at all. Incidentally, I was wrong in saying that this is compensation free. You will be compensated with the warm feeling that can only come with an Inbox full of PMs as people vie for your attention, and willingly tell you that you are wrong about everything in a thousand different ways. It's wonderful to be noticed, don't you think? Just remember...the stopwatch won't lie. That's why we won't tolerate you skimping. I am sure you will find it rewarding, and once again welcome you to the team.
post #36 of 91
^^ The mods don't get compensated for their efforts (as opposed to many sellers who make a pretty penny on the forum) and all have (gasp) busy life to lead. If you're to suggest a new system, make sure that it requires less human input, not more.
post #37 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
and I reiterate my offer for you to single-handedly mod this, and once again offer you my best wishes. As per your revised suggestion, in addition to the above, you will also be required to note the name and time of thread for each and every poster in both boards to ensure that no one starts a second thread. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Be very careful, they're sneaky round here. Watch out for people cross posting with less than a week between thread starts and bumps. You will be expected to note this. Once again, they see all and whine fast. It's not thankless at all. Incidentally, I was wrong in saying that this is compensation free. You will be compensated with the warm feeling that can only come with an Inbox full of PMs as people vie for your attention, and willingly tell you that you are wrong about everything in a thousand different ways. It's wonderful to be noticed, don't you think? Just remember...the stopwatch won't lie. That's why we won't tolerate you skimping. I am sure you will find it rewarding, and once again welcome you to the team.
are you sure you understand what im saying? Similar rules exist on many internet B&S boards and I am sure based on your theory they must all hire unhuman mods. I am not computer science major, but these don't sound unrealistic or extremely hard to me. also mods dont have responsiblity to reply to all random pm's do they? anyways aren't they receiving tons of pm's with these current hard rules already?
post #38 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacked View Post
^^ The mods don't get compensated for their efforts (as opposed to many sellers who make a pretty penny on the forum) and all have (gasp) busy life to lead. If you're to suggest a new system, make sure that it requires less human input, not more.

thats what I was saying---to change the system setup rather than to require more human input.
post #39 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badseeds View Post
are you sure you understand what im saying? Similar rules exist on many internet B&S boards and I am sure based on your theory they must all hire unhuman mods. I am not computer science major, but these don't sound unrealistic or extremely hard to me. also mods dont have responsiblity to reply to all random pm's do they? anyways aren't they receiving tons of pm's with these current hard rules already?
...hence the ban hammer becomes a nailgun. These issues have been explored ad nauseum. Every decision has been stretched, and we are sick to death of it. Apparently managing it is not something you are interested in doing. I am a little disappointed. Personally, if I had my way, we would say 'you can't play nicely, then I am taking your toys away' and just close the board and save us all a shit-ton of time. This board is second only to spam for moderation irritation, and harder to deal with.
post #40 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badseeds View Post
what I was suggesting is to change the forum system setup to the following:

1. each member can only have ONE sale thread

2. others can post in the thread, but it doesn't get bumped up

3. members need to reach certain number of posts before starting their sale threads.

4.each thread can only be bumped up once every week or every other week by the seller.

maybe its not a good idea, but I dont think it is unrealistic or needs to be done manually. Instead of being sarcastic, maybe it is better for one to think more carefully and be constructive.

We are actually thinking up a better system. However, development takes time and $$$.

Producing a Vbulletin plugin that can handle what you just outlined isn't cheap. You'd think that it would be, but it's not. And honestly, your system does not take into account about 2 dozen cases that will and do arise, and that we've thought about.

Here's my deal for you. If you have any suggestions, be prepared to pay for them. The development of a good automated marketplace system will cost about $50K, which includes bugtesting. Additionally, you can pay the administrators partial salary for management activities during development. Conversely, you can pay us to hire a moderator for the B&S forum. You can pay him, say, $15/h (that's not really that much), and 12 h a day, including weekends. That's a lot of overtime.

In other news, iwhelan, HandletheVibe, and MBrand are now forum-banned. If and when they pay the $300 fine, they will be back.
post #41 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharwitt View Post
sellers would just start posting one item per thread. next.

That person will be summarily forum-banned. Remember, this ain't no democracy. We are more like vaguely benevolent despots. Under despotic rule, loopholes can become garrotes very quickly. Next.
post #42 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
We are actually thinking up a better system. However, development takes time and $$$.

Producing a Vbulletin plugin that can handle what you just outlined isn't cheap. You'd think that it would be, but it's not. And honestly, your system does not take into account about 2 dozen cases that will and do arise, and that we've thought about.

Here's my deal for you. If you have any suggestions, be prepared to pay for them. The development of a good automated marketplace system will cost about $50K, which includes bugtesting. Additionally, you can pay the administrators partial salary for management activities during development. Conversely, you can pay us to hire a moderator for the B&S forum. You can pay him, say, $15/h (that's not really that much), and 12 h a day, including weekends. That's a lot of overtime.

In other news, iwhelan, HandletheVibe, and MBrand are now forum-banned. If and when they pay the $300 fine, they will be back.


This I understand, and it makes a lot more sense. Thats why its just a suggestion, and I was curious why people nowadays always need to be so sarcastic. I am sure there are tons of other problems that may arise, but as you guys have also thought about it is a possible way to solve the problems.
post #43 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badseeds View Post
This I understand, and it makes a lot more sense. Thats why its just a suggestion, and I was curious why people nowadays always need to be so sarcastic. I am sure there are tons of other problems that may arise, but as you guys have also thought about it is a possible way to solve the problems.

Matt does sarcastic. I just do angry. Note that he is single, and I am married.
post #44 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
Matt does sarcastic. I just do angry. Note that he is single, and I am married.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badseeds View Post
This I understand, and it makes a lot more sense.
post #45 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
Matt does sarcastic. I just do angry. Note that he is single, and I am married.

I am not even in a relationship so I guess I should be allowed to be a lit sensitive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive) › Forum-bans are going to be happening