or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Which ethnic group(s) tip best?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which ethnic group(s) tip best? - Page 3

post #31 of 58
I disagree with the OP. Asians are definitely not the best tippers.
post #32 of 58
How about this instead.

What ethnicity are you? How much do you tip?

No additional info, pls.
post #33 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart View Post
From working a job for 2.5 years in which the customers knew my entire wage came from tips (tips only tour guide), I have this to say:

1. The Swiss.
2. Canadians/Americans (white)
3. Canadians/Americans (other)
4. Scandanavians
5. Australians/English
6. Japanese
7. Germans/Austrians
8. French/Southern Europeans
9. Eastern Europeans
10. Balkans
11. East Asians
12. South Asians
13. South Americans
14. Brazilians

You can tell Japanese from East Asians, Swiss from Scandinavians, and South Americans from Brazilians? I have to call bulldung on this one.
post #34 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
How about this instead.

What ethnicity are you? How much do you tip?

No additional info, pls.

Australian.

Don't tip - its not a custom here. Although heading to Vancouver/Anchorage on the weekend for work so I might have to get used to it.

Casual wait staff here get around $15 - $20 per hour, eliminating the need for tipping as their pay is more than the minimum wage in the states. A mate of mine works on weekends and gets around $30 per hour.
post #35 of 58
As an Asian, maybe I should start tipping less if that's what's expected of me.
post #36 of 58
I walk into a restaurant expecting to give a 15% tip for the service I expect (politeness, willingness to recommend from the menu, reasonably prompt servicem and handling any reasonable requests I might make). If the server exceeds my expectations, I tip more; if they're rude to me or obviously aren't trying to make my meal enjoyable, I tip less.

If the server is downright abominable to me, I'll tip $0.01 - just to make a point.
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdave View Post
Really?
My friend said women are cheap asses, and men tip much better.
BUT that could be because she's a girl lol

I worked for a couple months in high school at a restaurant near an upscale shopping center and all the servers jockeyed for the groups of 5 or 6 women on their shopping lunch breaks because they were usually in an informal competition to see who could blow more of their husbands' money.
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat View Post
You can tell Japanese from East Asians, Swiss from Scandinavians, and South Americans from Brazilians? I have to call bulldung on this one.

I was a tour guide; I collected this information from them. People don't tend to lie about where they're from when you ask them on their holiday.
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart View Post
From working a job for 2.5 years in which the customers knew my entire wage came from tips (tips only tour guide), I have this to say:

1. The Swiss.
2. Canadians/Americans (white)
3. Canadians/Americans (other)
4. Scandanavians
5. Australians/English
6. Japanese
7. Germans/Austrians
8. French/Southern Europeans
9. Eastern Europeans
10. Balkans
11. East Asians
12. South Asians
13. South Americans
14. Brazilians


Or maybe race has nothing to do with it? except the fucking Swiss, the lot of em deserve to die with their little cuckoo clocks and their shitty cheese. The real nation of tippers is the Dutch.
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdave View Post
Really?
My friend said women are cheap asses, and men tip much better.
BUT that could be because she's a girl lol

That was always my experience. In fact, in my experience, white professional women in their 20s and 40s were just fucking pathetic tippers. However, I always got stuck with those tables because most of my colleagues were female, and women tip men better than they tip other women.
post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
As an Asian, maybe I should start tipping less if that's what's expected of me.

No! Break down that stereotype!
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdave View Post
Really?
My friend said women are cheap asses, and men tip much better.
BUT that could be because she's a girl lol

No, my experience was that men tip much better on average and are more willing to overlook a mistake on your part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoes View Post
Just like society

Go f**k yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chincabomber View Post
I disagree with the OP. Asians are definitely not the best tippers.

FOB ones, no. American ones & Koreans are pretty great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE View Post
Or maybe race has nothing to do with it? except the fucking Swiss, the lot of em deserve to die with their little cuckoo clocks and their shitty cheese. The real nation of tippers is the Dutch.

There has actually been research on this (I believe a UNC study?). Black people, in America, are very poor tippers and are the most likely to complain about service. It's like the chicken & the egg.
post #43 of 58
Here's a story from NPR about The Tipping Divide: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=1329241 "The study found that 63 percent of blacks and 30 percent of whites didn't understand that the standard restaurant tip in the United States is 15 to 20 percent..." And a link to the research paper: http://tippingresearch.com/uploads/C...12_10__REV.pdf
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
No! Break down that stereotype!
It got me thinking: Why should I bother to "break the stereotype"? If the server is a little bitch, he'll expect me to tip less and thus serve me substandardly expecting a small tip. Tipping after the meal won't change the afore-consumed meal, and places where tipping really matters won't be visited by me enough times to build a rapport.
post #45 of 58
White American homosexuals are an enthnic group now? Consistently, I'm not sure who tips best and where. The last time a conversation about tips was started, it was in Switzerland, and the conclusion was that the highest tips given were by Ruskis. Stuff like tipping 500 on a 1000 bill all the time. They like to go to courchevel and Gstaad to ski. I know some Jews who overtip to make up for stereotypes... Also, the Japanese were quite the tippers in the 70s and 80s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Which ethnic group(s) tip best?