or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Leather
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leather

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
When it comes to anything leather (shoes, jackets, bags, etc.) the general consensus is that good quality leather gets better with time due to the added character and softening effect.

On this basis, a lot of stylish people still treat their leather goods with care and proper maintenance via regular brushing and application of beeswax or other preservatives. Does this not slow/negate the much wanted aged effect mentioned above?

What are your thoughts? Do you care for your leather or do you just wear and tear?
post #2 of 22
Caring for your leather makes it age more beautifully. Simple as that.
post #3 of 22
Using your leather is how you get the nicks, scratches, burnish marks etc. that gives the leather it's character or patina. Taking care of it allows you to enjoy the process for years to come.
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by supastylin View Post

On this basis, a lot of stylish people still treat their leather goods with care and proper maintenance via regular brushing and application of beeswax or other preservatives. Does this not slow/negate the much wanted aged effect mentioned above?

What are your thoughts? Do you care for your leather or do you just wear and tear?

Leather is skin and like all skin it needs nutrition and care. If you don't take care of it, it'll dry out and crack....for example see photos of vintage leather jackets, in lousy condition, on ebay.
post #5 of 22
I regularly condition my leather goods, but don't fuss over the normal wear and tear. The marks and scratches on briefcases, portfolios, and smaller leather goods add character.
post #6 of 22
Do you use the same leather care products for non shoe leather goods, like bag, jacket, belt, as that for shoes? If different, could you recommend a few products? TIA.
post #7 of 22
I agree with above comments and to add, it is also important to also periodically condition leather that is not in frequent use or presently out of seasonal rotation.
post #8 of 22
so why is it that when an animal's skin ages we call it nice and oooh and ah, but when my skin gets "character" everbody just says I look old? Can I just start telling everyone it's patina?
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
so why is it that when an animal's skin ages we call it nice and oooh and ah, but when my skin gets "character" everbody just says I look old? Can I just start telling everyone it's patina?

In a lot of cases, the skin was awesome to begin with: french calf, top grain, etc etc. Most premium makers use the best - e.g. Lobb uses the best out of a whole hide to make 1 pair of shoes, whereas Kenneth Cole probably would use the same hide to make 4 pairs of shoes.

But human skin gets all wrinkled, sun-spotted and saggy as it gets older and that's never appealing in any leather. Take heart though - some girls like it that way.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2C2V View Post
Do you use the same leather care products for non shoe leather goods, like bag, jacket, belt, as that for shoes? If different, could you recommend a few products? TIA.

Bick4 is what I use.
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
What about keeping the insides of leather shoes fresh and clean? Is it safe to use those anti-bacterial sprays for sneakers?
post #12 of 22
Patina is not good in every case.
It is good for burnished leather, for saddle kinds and some other.
But calf grain, soft sheep skins, several exotic skins look better when it looks like new.

I recommend "Saphir" for every case
post #13 of 22
Same as women. Compare a woman who takes the time to maintain her looks to one who doesn't at 20, 30, 40, etc. and you'll see what the people who have responded above mean. It shows. Use your shoe tree to keep your shoes in shape, and use lotion/polish to keep the skin looking gorgeous. Otherwise you lose the desire to slip into them and start looking for new ones.
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Since everyone has slightly different opinions and does things their own way, etc. I thought I would go through the steps I take to maintain my full grain leather shoes and boots:

1. Brush off any dirt and debris with a dry brush
2. Dilute regular liquid body soap (eg. Dove) with water and apply all over shoes with a rag
3. Clean off soap with a clean wet rag and allow shoes to dry
4. Apply a coat of Sno Sneal (beeswax) all over shoes
5. Heat shoes with a hair dryer so the Sno Seal is absorbed better

I figure if the body soap is good enough for my skin, it should be good enough for my shoes. I repeat this process about every 3-4 months, sometimes less frequently. I have read that fats and oils do more harm than good so I don't use anything else. 2 questions:

1. Is there anything that you guys would do differently or any extra processes you would involve in caring for your leather shoes eg. use some sort of conditioner between steps 3 and 4 perhaps?
2. Is it safe to use regular body soap?
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by supastylin View Post
Since everyone has slightly different opinions and does things their own way, etc. I thought I would go through the steps I take to maintain my full grain leather shoes and boots:

1. Brush off any dirt and debris with a dry brush
2. Dilute regular liquid body soap (eg. Dove) with water and apply all over shoes with a rag
3. Clean off soap with a clean wet rag and allow shoes to dry
4. Apply a coat of Sno Sneal (beeswax) all over shoes
5. Heat shoes with a hair dryer so the Sno Seal is absorbed better

I figure if the body soap is good enough for my skin, it should be good enough for my shoes. I repeat this process about every 3-4 months, sometimes less frequently. I have read that fats and oils do more harm than good so I don't use anything else. 2 questions:

1. Is there anything that you guys would do differently or any extra processes you would involve in caring for your leather shoes eg. use some sort of conditioner between steps 3 and 4 perhaps?
2. Is it safe to use regular body soap?

This is terrible advice. Look at the shoe care thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ight=shoe+care
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Leather