or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › SF, Help me choose a career path.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SF, Help me choose a career path. - Page 2

post #16 of 35
i know a guy that finished his finance BS in 2.5 years with a perfect gpa and didnt find any work fresh out of school
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
I hear/read this type of thing all the time WRT analyst positions, but how is someone fresh out of school supposed to land a position that typically requires a minimum of 3-5 years of pretty specific experience (according to online analyst job postings)?

Are these research jobs? Analyst has a little different meaning in those groups, but for most jobs it's an entry level title.
post #18 of 35
I'm sure you can find some law school which will accept you w/ a low GPA. You don't want to waste your life by making $35k a year. Go for it! Forget about the debt, you'll make that up in no time once you start working for a big firm.
post #19 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
95th percentile with a shitty gpa is way worse than you think. There is NO WAY you are going to Northwestern with a 167/low gpa. Let alone a "certainty" with work experience. Check out Law school numbers. No one between 166-168 was admitted below a 3.7 gpa.

Bottom line is you are seriously overestimating your chances of admission and scholarships. Scholarships are hard to get as someone with a low gpa.

I scored 170, I believe it's 97th percentile actually. With work experience, I could ED to NW pretty easily.
post #20 of 35
Go for it. You don't have to convince us.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post
Are these research jobs? Analyst has a little different meaning in those groups, but for most jobs it's an entry level title.

Im not sure they are research jobs exclusively, but I've never seen any type of analyst job that didnt require experience (at least none posted online.) And I've been looking.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
a clothing forum help choose your career? do we have to help you wipe your ass too?

Hold on for a sec, though. The fact that people are coming here for general life advice means that SF has become the Magic 8-ball of the Net. That says something.

Getting to the OP's question and subsequent posts, I think there is merit in applying to jobs in regional offices - other posters are right that those sorts of places (regardless of industry) always seem to be in hiring mode, for the reasons stated. The pay may not top out as high, but the costs of living should be lower.

A good question to ask yourself is where you want to be in 5 years.
post #23 of 35
Have you gotten your CFA or plan on trying for it?
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Darnielle View Post
I scored 170, I believe it's 97th percentile actually. With work experience, I could ED to NW pretty easily.

What is your work experience? CIA agent?

Nothing is guaranteed. FWIW, a classmate from Cornell had a shitty GPA, 170 LSAT could only get into American.
post #25 of 35
You can't be this desperate.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
Im not sure they are research jobs exclusively, but I've never seen any type of analyst job that didnt require experience (at least none posted online.) And I've been looking.

Analyst positions at investment banks are entry-level jobs, right out of school. A summer internship in finance is additive but not necessary. Now a research analyst is a different thing altogether and they rarely hire out of undergrad, more often out of business school.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
Im not sure they are research jobs exclusively, but I've never seen any type of analyst job that didnt require experience (at least none posted online.) And I've been looking.

You are looking at the wrong kind of analyst (or more likely, the kind of analyst jobs we are talking about never actually get posted on public sites as they only recruit directly at schools).

Analyst is the standard BA title.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Darnielle View Post
I scored 170, I believe it's 97th percentile actually. With work experience, I could ED to NW pretty easily.

maybe.

do you want to be a lawyer? if so, what kind of lawyer? what type of law would you be interested in being involved with?
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
Analyst positions at investment banks are entry-level jobs, right out of school. A summer internship in finance is additive but not necessary. Now a research analyst is a different thing altogether and they rarely hire out of undergrad, more often out of business school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
You are looking at the wrong kind of analyst (or more likely, the kind of analyst jobs we are talking about never actually get posted on public sites as they only recruit directly at schools).

Analyst is the standard BA title.

Gotcha.

Any tips on how to pursue an entry-level analyst position 2 years after graduating with a BS in Finance? (Ive been with a marketing company since graduation, so I have no relevant experience/connections.) I thought about going back for a Masters of Finance as a way to increase my odds of getting my foot in the door.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
I hear/read this type of thing all the time WRT analyst positions, but how is someone fresh out of school supposed to land a position that typically requires a minimum of 3-5 years of pretty specific experience (according to online analyst job postings)?

Gift of gab,
me see it happen.
Big jobs for experience people,
inexperience young people landed the jobs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › SF, Help me choose a career path.