or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cleverley
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cleverley - Page 3

post #31 of 55
So, what exactly are we talking about here? The "front office" guy - who deals mainly with sales and PR - is retiereing and being replaced by his son. Meanwile, in the "back office", the guy who has actually made the beautiful shoes at Cleverley for the last many years, is gone and we dont know who is replacing him....?
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben View Post
I hate these stupid byline status updates, I don;t want to feel like the facebook friend of your writer.
I don't know if I want an article like this to be written by someone who has such catholic tastes.
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwards View Post
In those days, it was rather uncommon for a shoemaker or even a tailor to be terribly well turned out (though there were some notable --and even flamboyant -- exceptions).

These days Glasgow Sr. is clothed by Peter Harvey, who I believe you know.
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricota View Post
So, what exactly are we talking about here? The "front office" guy - who deals mainly with sales and PR - is retiereing and being replaced by his son. Meanwile, in the "back office", the guy who has actually made the beautiful shoes at Cleverley for the last many years, is gone and we dont know who is replacing him....?

Not quite - Carnera (the old "back office" guy) retired many years ago. GG has been running the entire operation for years now, and his son is presumably being groomed to lead in the future. The back office team (Teemu, Casey etc.) remains as is.
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
These days Glasgow Sr. is clothed by Peter Harvey, who I believe you know.

Indeed. John Carnera's son, Dario, apprenticed at Fallan & Harvey.
post #36 of 55
I have just ordered a pair of Bespoke Shoes from George, first pair.

Keen to see if the fit is as great as people say
post #37 of 55
Visited the upstairs Cleverley shrine at LeatherSoul Beverly Hills. I was unmoved by the bespoke samples...but the shapes and designs of the Anthony Cleverley semi-bespoke samples were INCREDIBLE...not to mention the quality of leather looked nicer than the John Lobb samples downstairs When I put on the pair of Churchill faux laced lazyman shoes, I felt like Odysseus being exposed to the calls of the Sirens...but the $1700 price acted like cotton to my ears...so I passed it up
post #38 of 55
Dominic Casey had some very nice bespoke styles in Washington, D.C. yesterday. He said after his trip to New York he returns a portion of the samples to Leather Soul in Beverly Hills for display.
post #39 of 55
I would certainly agree that some of the bespoke samples I saw at the London Store did not have the same impact on me as G&G's samples. None the less, sometimes fit can suffer sometimes in exchange for the fancy shape.

I agree some of the AC line look fantastic, very sharp toed.
post #40 of 55
While I personally have not have any experience to the Cleverly firm, I will say this: I hate hearing when people get knocked on for not building/crafting their goods, while someone else in their firm does at an (obviously) high level. You can have the world's best craftsmanship, and without style it will look like an item without style. See also: It Sr.'s and Jr.'s roles are to to sell and dictate style, then all the power to them. And as they seem to have the quality in the backshop, then who cares if they personally made the shoes?? You're still getting an incredible shoe, with their taste and style. Kudos to that.
post #41 of 55
Glad to hear you are giving Cleverley a chance CDM.

Thanks for stopping by Michael.

Yes, many of Cleverley's samples at LSBH may not be striking. It's due to the fact that most are very old samples, basically there to show some history and classic, timeless designs. When GG Sr. and GG Jr. visit for our twice yearly shows, more modern samples are shown. However, when we get more bespoke samples from Dominic's showing in DC, I'm sure they'll be some more nicer, newer samples in the shop mix.

Just FYI, John C. is indeed still working and NOT retired. He still works a few days a week making lasts and cutting patterns. I hear both John C and Teemu have different styles so they might make specific client's lasts depending on the style the customer wants. I think I was told Teemu made my lasts...

Glad you guys like the ACs. They are incredible shoes in person. We just received our first few pairs of Churchills and they look great!
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL View Post
Glad to hear you are giving Cleverley a chance CDM.

I have opted for their signature black immitation brogue with faux laces and side gussets. Not too far from yours. Hopefully it will be pretty slick looking. Usually I don't wear black cos i think its boring
post #43 of 55
LS's Cleverley area also had an assortment of Cleverley RTW shoes. I compared 2 similar designs by Cleverley...A.C. vs. RTW. I found their A.C. lasts to be better fitting to my unique foot and had a sexier shape to them. Are the Anthony Cleverley line of shoes based on lasts (not shoe deisgns) made by Anthony....or were the lasts inspired by George Cleverley's last shapes? As much as I liked seeing the various Alden, Edward Green & John Lobb shoes...the Anthony Cleverley shoes appeared to be the finest shoes in the shop Kudos to Tom for making the 2 Cleverley lines available to better assist client's in deciding which designs, last shapes, leathers & price range were best suited for them.
post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855 View Post
I have opted for their signature black immitation brogue with faux laces and side gussets. Not too far from yours. Hopefully it will be pretty slick looking. Usually I don't wear black cos i think its boring

Nice, can't wait to see pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329 View Post
LS's Cleverley area also had an assortment of Cleverley RTW shoes. I compared 2 similar designs by Cleverley...A.C. vs. RTW. I found their A.C. lasts to be better fitting to my unique foot and had a sexier shape to them.

Are the Anthony Cleverley line of shoes based on lasts (not shoe deisgns) made by Anthony....or were the lasts inspired by George Cleverley's last shapes?

As much as I liked seeing the various Alden, Edward Green & John Lobb shoes...the Anthony Cleverley shoes appeared to be the finest shoes in the shop

Kudos to Tom for making the 2 Cleverley lines available to better assist client's in deciding which designs, last shapes, leathers & price range were best suited for them.

The AC lasts were actually developed by George Sr., Teemu, and John C. They used AC's styling to develop a last that perfectly represented AC's style. George Sr. was actually given AC's original bespoke style books which documented each shoe he made for his clients over the years. A photocopy of a book was just given to Bryan at LSBH so if you get a chance to stop by please ask him about it. I haven't even seen it yet but can't wait to see it when I visit next.
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
You've unsettled me.


- B

don't tell me, you didn't know that?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cleverley