or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one? - Page 5

post #61 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
Jesus, is there anything more pathetic than people arguing on the internet about computers? It's a tool to get a job done. If you like it...fine, if you don't...fine. It's just a computer.

Who's arguing?
post #62 of 245
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
Jesus, is there anything more pathetic than people arguing on the internet about computers? It's a tool to get a job done. If you like it...fine, if you don't...fine. It's just a computer.
Clearly you've got Tokyo Slim on ignore.
post #63 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
Jesus, is there anything more pathetic than people arguing on the internet about computers? It's a tool to get a job done. If you like it...fine, if you don't...fine. It's just a computer.

We're not arguing, we are having an intelligent discussion about the current state of computers. What's pathetic is chiming in with your BS logic.
post #64 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
Jesus, is there anything more pathetic than people arguing on the internet about computers? It's a tool to get a job done. If you like it...fine, if you don't...fine. It's just a computer.

Yeah, I don,t see any arguing either.

Just good appreciated ( non-snarky ) answers from those with more knowledge to those with less.

Pretty much an example of a decent SF thread.

Back to the OP. For reasons previously cited, I doubt I,ll get a new MB Air. But I will get something with an SSD type HD sometime in the future.
post #65 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post
Yeah, I don,t see any arguing either.

Just good appreciated ( non-snarky ) answers from those with more knowledge to those with less.

Pretty much an example of a decent SF thread.

Back to the OP. For reasons previously cited, I doubt I,ll get a new MB Air. But I will get something with an SSD type HD sometime in the future.

yeah very little trolling, but with most internets savvy, agrees on apply expensive.
they are nice, but overpriced.

also folks, you can upgrade almost any new computer to ssd. . .
post #66 of 245
Yeah, was thinking of getting an expresscard SSD for my MBP...anyone here done this?
post #67 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition View Post
Yeah, was thinking of getting an expresscard SSD for my MBP...anyone here done this?
You'd be better off replacing your HD with an SSD. Even the newest unibody MBPs with a closed enclosure make this fairly easy. The reason is virtually ever great SSD (like those using the current SandForce controller) is an SATA model, not one that feeds via ExpressCard into the PCIe bus.
post #68 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingazn View Post
the desktop will never lose it's functionality.

direct troubleshooting, 3rd party devices and easy modd'ing dictate as much.

I haven't owned a desktop in my life.

All the students I speak to (MBA and undergrads) do not have a desktop at home unless they do gaming.
post #69 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
I haven't owned a desktop in my life.

All the students I speak to (MBA and undergrads) do not have a desktop at home unless they do gaming.

this is very true nowadays.
laptops are just as powerful now, not like 5 years ago.
post #70 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
Are you implying that tablets running a fully operational OS in the future mark the death of laptops? Because if so, I don't agree.

Yes, OS X and iOS are slowly merging, but I can't say for sure that it means they will evolve into one thing at some point. And even if they do, the laptop's form factor will be preferred by many (including myself). To state the new MBA's are a "moneygrab" is pretty absurd. It's the continuing evolution of the laptop. Smaller, faster, etc. You might think the MBA will be gone from the Apple lineup in 4 years time? I think it will probably be alive and well however running off the guts of the current 15"/17" MBP's and sporting a 15 hour battery.

The laptop isn't going anywhere. And while tablets will only get better, they won't mean the end of desktops/laptops. Honestly I don't really agree with Diaz when it comes to many of his proclamations about the future of computers. Shortly after the iPad was released he wrote an article about how it meant the desktop would be non-existent in 3 to 4 years time. Right.
The desktop is already non-existent for all intents and purposes. It will continue to exist as a niche product for hardcore gamers, people who run servers, and the like, but current sales figures give the basic picture. Once companies start to upgrade their computer lines, I expect those sales to plummet. Maybe it won't "disappear" for a decade or more, the way Sony didn't discontinue the original Walkman until this week(!), but it's on its way out.

As for laptops, I don't know exactly what the future looks like. But I know it's pretty stupid to have to own both an ultra-portable laptop and a tablet just because the latter hasn't caught up to the former. There's just so much redundancy between the two. I expect the technological gap to close fairly quickly. Maybe we can imagine a product that gains additional memory, storage space, and battery life when you plug it into a keyboard, but that otherwise has all the properties of a tablet. Maybe something that runs a hybrid OS, or switches between two OSes on the fly. Who knows. But what's clear is that the Macbook Air doesn't represent anything innovative in the field of computing. It's not going to be the future.
post #71 of 245
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Maybe we can imagine a product that gains additional memory, storage space, and battery life when you plug it into a keyboard, but that otherwise has all the properties of a tablet.
This is some next level shit right here
post #72 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
We're not arguing, we are having an intelligent discussion about the current state of computers. What's pathetic is chiming in with your BS logic.

You know this is SF, yes?
post #73 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
The desktop is already non-existent for all intents and purposes. It will continue to exist as a niche product for hardcore gamers, people who run servers, and the like, but current sales figures give the basic picture. Once companies start to upgrade their computer lines, I expect those sales to plummet. Maybe it won't "disappear" for a decade or more, the way Sony didn't discontinue the original Walkman until this week(!), but it's on its way out.

As for laptops, I don't know exactly what the future looks like. But I know it's pretty stupid to have to own both an ultra-portable laptop and a tablet just because the latter hasn't caught up to the former. There's just so much redundancy between the two. I expect the technological gap to close fairly quickly. Maybe we can imagine a product that gains additional memory, storage space, and battery life when you plug it into a keyboard, but that otherwise has all the properties of a tablet. Maybe something that runs a hybrid OS, or switches between two OSes on the fly. Who knows. But what's clear is that the Macbook Air doesn't represent anything innovative in the field of computing. It's not going to be the future.

Wow. I'm laughing.

The desktop isn't going anywhere. Do you realize how many people need to work off screens that are 20" or larger? What exactly are you proposing? Everything will be laptops in the future? To scoff that desktops are strictly for gamers, servers, etc, is absurd. As much as I love my 13" MBP there is nothing like sitting at my 20" IPS screen and doing multiple things (writing, web browsing, research, etc). You couldn't be more wrong.

Who said anything about owning BOTH an ultra-portable and a tablet? Already on the MacRumors forum I'm reading alot about members thinking about selling their iPad's for a 11" MBA or buying said MBA instead of a iPad. I'm not saying people are going to stop buying iPad's (clearly that isn't the case) but it will give consumers something to contemplate as they make their travel machine decision.

The MBA doesn't represent anything innovative in computing? What???????

The new MBA's are a sign of what is to come in the future of the Macbook lineup. The software reinstall USB drive. The move to solid state flash storage. The inevitable end of optical drives within the laptop. It's the opposite of what you say. It's the future of notebooks.
post #74 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
Wow. I'm laughing.

The desktop isn't going anywhere. Do you realize how many people need to work off screens that are 20" or larger? What exactly are you proposing? Everything will be laptops in the future? To scoff that desktops are strictly for gamers, servers, etc, is absurd. As much as I love my 13" MBP there is nothing like sitting at my 20" IPS screen and doing multiple things (writing, web browsing, research, etc). You couldn't be more wrong.


Wow.

writing, web browsing AND research??? you are really taxing your desktop processor.

Do you realize you don't even need a desktop? you need a MONITOR. and a $2 CABLE.
post #75 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
Wow.

writing, web browsing AND research??? you are really taxing your desktop processor.

Do you realize you don't even need a desktop? you need a MONITOR. and a $2 CABLE.

My point wasn't about taxing my processor. It's about having sufficient screen real estate to do multiple things at once. I do the same things on my MBP when necessary but find it a much more enjoyable experience on a larger screen like my 20" IPS.

I originally had my MBP and 20" Apple Cinema Display but got tired of having to attach the necessary cables every day. I now run my ACD off a Mac Mini and am much happier.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?