or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one? - Page 3

post #31 of 245
Yes, that's my point, I don't get this "instant" thing. I remember Windows 7 making a big deal about it on their commercial a little while ago, but I just assumed all laptops were like this for at least the last 5 years or so.
post #32 of 245
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVoer View Post
Yes, that's my point, I don't get this "instant" thing. I remember Windows 7 making a big deal about it on their commercial a little while ago, but I just assumed all laptops were like this for at least the last 5 years or so.
Its Apple bullshit. Yes, it starts up faster. So do all computers that boot off of SSD and/or flash memory.
post #33 of 245
Strongly considering the 11", would be good for lazing about and browsing the internets in bed. and plus I am an apple laptop slut.
post #34 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post
lulz
lol. so true. I didn't understand what kind of person would actually have use for the macbook air.... until I saw this. Up until recently, the Apple TV was the dog in apple's lineup that didn't seem to impress anyone (until the new one came out this quarter, Steve Jobs had never even disclosed sales figures for apple tv), I wonder if that dubious distinction of apple's weakest selling product will now go to the macbook air.
post #35 of 245
I thought about it, briefly, when I was replacing a black macbook which was just a bit too slow. In the end, chose a second hand MBP 15" 2.2G which works great but weighs a ton. I'll think a bit more about it after Lion is released.
post #36 of 245
Thread Starter 
post #37 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
post #38 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Why are Macs so limited in RAM?
Lets se.. The 13" and the 15" laptops can have 8 gig ram. The iMac can have 16 gig. The Mac Pro can have 32. It doesn't feel so limited to me. On top of it they use a 64 bit os that uses the memory very good, with hardware thats designated for the os. The air having only 4, i guess everyone understands why. I work extra at an Applestore, and i went there today the first time since the release, and tried the 11". It surprised me, how quick it where. The one i tried only had 2 gig ram, but with 4 i think this one would be good enough. The flashmemory gives it a good bump. Good thing about it is that it didn´t have a netbook feel to it at all. I liked it.
post #39 of 245
Edit: Nevermind. I just noticed that you are a Swede. I'll give your English a pass.
post #40 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayboy View Post
Lets se.. The 13" and the 15" laptops can have 8 gig ram. The iMac can have 16 gig. The Mac Pro can have 32. It doesn't feel so limited to me. On top of it they use a 64 bit os that uses the memory very good, with hardware thats designated for the os.

The air having only 4, i guess everyone understands why.

I work extra at an Applestore
, and i went there today the first time since the release, and tried the 11". It surprised me, how quick it where. The one i tried only had 2 gig ram, but with 4 i think this one would be good enough. The flashmemory gives it a good bump. Good thing about it is that it didn´t have a netbook feel to it at all.

I liked it.

In other words you're an annoying cunt.
Sent from my MacBook
post #41 of 245
Actually the whole thing that bothers me is the "good enough" line. why not better? Why does my Mac Book only have two slots? And while we're at it why can't anyone that works at a Mac store EVER admit that there is a problem with ANY Apple product. More than anything it's this that drives me nuts.
post #42 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
Its Apple bullshit. Yes, it starts up faster. So do all computers that boot off of SSD and/or flash memory.

Looks like Windows jumped all over that bandwagon.
post #43 of 245
Looking to get the 11" MBA + a 60W HyperMac battery. Small footprint plus extra battery life when necessary.
post #44 of 245
I don't understand this product in relation to the iPad. I guess it's supposed to be a transitional thing until tablets become powerful enough to replace computers, but it's a technological step backwards. If you already own a computer at home, I don't see why you'd choose this over an iPad with a BT keyboard ($550), unless you really need to use photoshop or MS Office on the road.
post #45 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I don't understand this product in relation to the iPad. I guess it's supposed to be a transitional thing until tablets become powerful enough to replace computers, but it's a technological step backwards. If you already own a computer at home, I don't see why you'd choose this over an iPad with a BT keyboard ($550), unless you really need to use photoshop or MS Office on the road.

Two totally different machines. One is OS X, the other iOS. I want the freedom to drag and drop a movie file onto my MBA for travel. With the iPad I have to convert it to the right format, sync to iTunes, etc. And I still encounter websites with flash. Don't want to deal with blue question marks when I need to look at something on the road.

The only concession I'll make to the iPad is battery life. The 11" MBA has shitty battery life, hence why I'll probably bring along an external battery just in case.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?