or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one? - Page 8

post #106 of 245
Since this thread has degenerated to this point already, I'd like to add that people who purchase Macs are stupid sheep. That is all.
post #107 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
Since this thread has degenerated to this point already, I'd like to add that people who purchase Macs are stupid sheep. That is all.
o, rly?
post #108 of 245
yep
post #109 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
So in your fantasy world everyone just brings a laptops to work? Dude who the fuck are you? Seriously. I honestly can't believe what I'm reading from you.

I feel like I need to explain this to a 12 year old. People go to work and get shit done on their work computers. Let's even forget the corporate setting (where most people work in cubicles with desktops or often times have a desktop machine in their office).

In the creative fields, where I work, people work on their iMac's, etc, at work. Sure, sometimes I see Macbook Pro's, laptops, but desktops are still everywhere I turn. Also a lot of people want to use their laptops at home, for personal use, and not necessarily incorporate it into their professional lives (if possible).

You are a boring pedant. That you think innovation can't exist until Apple sells it also makes you a stupid fanboy. Unfortunately you're unable to grasp simple concepts like trends and projections, which makes further replying to you a waste of time.
post #110 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
I don't argue about cloths. I'm also 1000 posts cooler than you. Loveyakbye.

I have no idea what you argue about as not a single one of your posts was memorable. Not sure who you were trying to impress in this thread but you failed, twice.
post #111 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
Yes and no. Technically speaking the iMac and other All-In-One computers are desktops. People are far more willing to buy an all-in-one than to buy a laptop and then pay for a separate monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc...

That makes no financial sense. If you mean they prefer it in terms of ease of use like dummy here who can't plug in a cable, I agree but the convenience of portability coupled with the savings should eventually retrain most people, I think.
post #112 of 245
Maybe Apple should stop selling desktop computers, and then make cinema displays connect (only) wirelessly to macbooks. That would be pretty innovative. And dumb.
post #113 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
You are a boring pedant. That you think innovation can't exist until Apple sells it also makes you a stupid fanboy. Unfortunately you're unable to grasp simple concepts like trends and projections, which makes further replying to you a waste of time.

I know it sucks when you encounter someone like myself who counters everything you say with the right answer. Throwing empty insults like "fanboy" and "a dummy who can't plug in a cord" just makes it more clear what I'm dealing with respects to you. I can grasp those concepts, it's just that you can't seem to grasp the reality of what is going on. The desktop isn't going anywhere. You can scoff all you want but it isn't. And the MBA is a sign of the future (the only laptop of it's kind at both that weight and price with those specs), not a "moneygrab" as you hilariously alluded to. Your initial ridiculous statement about the MBA should have warned me about really attempting to have a serious and intelligent exchange with you.

But I share your feeling of growing very tired of this exchange. I now know better than to ever get into a back and forth with you on this forum about technology or anything for that matter.
post #114 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I have no idea what you argue about as not a single one of your posts was memorable. Not sure who you were trying to impress in this thread but you failed, twice.

Aww shucks .
post #115 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
So you are ignoring, or just ignorant of things like the Fujitsu Lifebook ultraportables, the Toshiba Libretto ultraportables, the HP Omnibook (which you could get with flash SSD in 1993), Thinkpad 200 and later on the X series etc. which are approximately as small, and as light (or lighter) than the 505G (which was relatively heavy at 3.1lbs) ?

I'd completely forgotten about the HP Omnibook with that crazy j-mouse. The IBM 200 and X series were years after the 505G (I own one of every model of IBM subnotebook). As I wrote earlier, when the 505G arrived, IBM had the 701C and moved to the 560 (kite). Ditto the Lifebook. The Libretto 50 and 70 were, like the IBM PC110, attempts at a usable palmtop, rather than subnotebooks.

Looking at the early 505 and the current MacBook Air, it seems pretty clear it's an evolution of the Sony design. I'm not saying there were no other subnotebooks, but it was the Sony models that steered everyone towards small, thin, light with optical drives. Toshiba and Fujitsu's first subnotes were rebadges of the Sonys, early on.
post #116 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
So in your fantasy world everyone just brings a laptops to work? Dude who the fuck are you? Seriously. I honestly can't believe what I'm reading from you.

I feel like I need to explain this to a 12 year old. People go to work and get shit done on their work computers. Let's even forget the corporate setting (where most people work in cubicles with desktops or often times have a desktop machine in their office).

In the creative fields, where I work, people work on their iMac's, etc, at work. Sure, sometimes I see Macbook Pro's, laptops, but desktops are still everywhere I turn. Also a lot of people want to use their laptops at home, for personal use, and not necessarily incorporate it into their professional lives (if possible).

I would say - especially at anything from mid-management up - the default set up has become a laptop with a keyboard and mouse and mouse and monitor at the workstation for use while in the office - has become the default set-up now. I would also say that this arrangement is also trickling down organisational hierarchies.

File me in the "desktop is in the niche-ing (if not dying) beast" category.
post #117 of 245
actually on that, I recently came across an organisation that standard issued netbooks as workstations. Interesting move, I think going a little too far, but argued that portability was unrivalled (no doubt on that) and connecting to monitors for daily use made them really easy. Processing power was "adequate" for their jobs (ie emailing, web, Office). Cost wise, slightly north of a desktop. Interesting theory, and apparently reasonably popular among the staff, but I think that kind of choice presupposes an absolute minimum of travel and a minimum of work from home (just too hard to do Real Work on those keypads and with those screens, but it undermines the 'portability as a motivator' argument, which I pointed out and received a shrug in return). Still, it works for him and that's the main thing...and was interesting to see nonetheless. They are in finance incidentally.
post #118 of 245
Incidentally, I played around with the new MBAs today. The 13" looks huge compared to the 11" (and more suitable for serious work). Both seemed pretty fast, too. Quite nice computers, in any case. Unfortunately grossly overpriced as well as largely redundant for anyone who already has a functioning laptop (doubly so if they already have an iPad).
post #119 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
actually on that, I recently came across an organisation that standard issued netbooks as workstations. Interesting move, I think going a little too far, but argued that portability was unrivalled (no doubt on that) and connecting to monitors for daily use made them really easy. Processing power was "adequate" for their jobs (ie emailing, web, Office). Cost wise, slightly north of a desktop.

Interesting theory, and apparently reasonably popular among the staff, but I think that kind of choice presupposes an absolute minimum of travel and a minimum of work from home (just too hard to do Real Work on those keypads and with those screens, but it undermines the 'portability as a motivator' argument, which I pointed out and received a shrug in return).

Still, it works for him and that's the main thing...and was interesting to see nonetheless. They are in finance incidentally.

A lot of financial, law and accounting firms hand out laptops to everyone their first day. They are almost never Macs though.
post #120 of 245
never mentioned Macs, and not commenting on laptops. This firm is handing out NETbooks...the little 9 or 10 inch jobs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?