or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help me understand super high prices clothes... like Tom Ford
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me understand super high prices clothes... like Tom Ford - Page 6

post #76 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
Tom Ford changed the face of Gucci and will be remembered as an icon in womens fashion forever. So his mens collection will get note, however not on the level of what he did for chicks.

He made the Gucci "G" in that chicks pubes in the ad campaign - '04 I think? That deserves a spot in fashion history.

*LOVE* that ad
post #77 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in California View Post
*LOVE* that ad

My Google ninja skillz fail. Link?
post #78 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post
My Google ninja skillz fail. Link?

Yeah, this might make you feel a bit silly then... Type "gucci ad" into Google image search. It is the first image.


I would post the image here because I want everyone to see it, but I don't want to derail this lovely thread.
post #79 of 109
Mario Testino shot that ad. Him and TF do know how to do sexy.
post #80 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in California View Post
Yeah, this might make you feel a bit silly then... Type "gucci ad" into Google image search. It is the first image.


I would post the image here because I want everyone to see it, but I don't want to derail this lovely thread.

Oh. I saw that thumbnail but dismissed it because it looked different from what I remembered. I didn't know TF was responsible for that brilliant advertising. Heh, thanks!
post #81 of 109
So let me get this straight.

He is a brilliant marketer, brought Gucci and YSL back from the dead, makes killer suits, but he sucks because the OP didn't like an expensive polo?

Tough crowd.
post #82 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyd View Post
So let me get this straight.

He is a brilliant marketer, brought Gucci and YSL back from the dead, makes killer suits, but he sucks because the OP didn't like an expensive polo?

Tough crowd.

+1
post #83 of 109
OK how about this for a grueling question: Tom Ford polo, solid, 100% cotton, $1500 OR Hermes T-shirt, 2-tone, 100% cotton, $750 [can be seen on the Hermes website]
post #84 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in California View Post
OK how about this for a grueling question:

Tom Ford polo, solid, 100% cotton, $1500
OR
Hermes T-shirt, 2-tone, 100% cotton, $750 [can be seen on the Hermes website]




Sears "Covington" house brand, 100% cotton, $30, $15 on winter clearance.


High priced polos get in my craw. Pure profit for the maker. It's a glorified t-shirt, for crying out loud!
post #85 of 109
I can't believe this thread is still going on. Some people have so much money that price is virtually irrelevant to them. For them, it's not about getting a good deal or good price/performance ratio, all they care about is performance, i.e. whether they like the garment. It is an extremely price-indifferent market segment. One could also call some of these designer wares Veblen goods, meaning their attractiveness rises as their price rises. If the same TF polo was sold for 56.95, they would not be as interested in it. If you still think that TF stuff is overpriced, you are obviously not in the market segment that TF targets. But if you like the garment, wait until it shows up at c21 with slashed labels, in which case it has moved down to your segment.
post #86 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyd View Post
So let me get this straight.

He is a brilliant marketer, brought Gucci and YSL back from the dead, makes killer suits, but he sucks because the OP didn't like an expensive polo?

Tough crowd.

I can only speak for myself, but my chief problem with Tom Ford is the adulation he gets for suits that, in my opinion, look no better than cheapo Men's Warehouse rags. To strengthen my case, let me please adduce a few specimens:






post #87 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivar View Post
I can only speak for myself, but my chief problem with Tom Ford is the adulation he gets for suits that, in my opinion, look no better than cheapo Men's Warehouse rags. To strengthen my case, let me please adduce a few specimens:


Just out of curiosity, have you ever been to Men's Wearhouse or seen one of their "rags" in person?
post #88 of 109
A lot of "reverse snobbery" in this thread.
post #89 of 109
Yeah I look at those suits and immediately think Matisse. But then again, the amazing aesthetic is probably far beyond my humble comprehension, it is just not for me to judge a sartorial god such as Tom Ford. His name is Tom Ford, king of kings: Look on his works, ye Mighty, and despair!
post #90 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swede View Post
Yeah I look at those suits and immediately think Matisse.


But then again, the amazing aesthetic is probably far beyond my humble comprehension, it is just not for me to judge a sartorial god such as Tom Ford.

His name is Tom Ford, king of kings:
Look on his works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Now see, you're just being snotty.

Do you consider fashion to be a branch of the fine arts? How about design? Architecture? What would constitute "art" to you?

My Matisse example was this: You're not paying for the paints and canvas. A $5,000 Tom Ford suit certainly does not contain $5,000 worth of materials. You're paying for the design. I never said "OMG TOM FORD IS THE NEW MATISSE".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help me understand super high prices clothes... like Tom Ford