or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I have no... style...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have no... style... - Page 5

post #61 of 83
[quote=FLMountainMan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You're joking, right? One of the absolute WORST looks in the world is the sports jacket with buttoned dress shirt without a tie. You see this look all the time on sports networks and the commentators that sport it (no pun intended) look like complete dweebs.
QUOTE]

This is probably the biggest sartorial pet peeve of mine. Tiger Woods is one of the worst offenders, although it is usually with a polo shirt buttoned all the way.

Repeated for Emphasis - buttoning the top button without a tie is a sure-fire way to look bad AND out-of-the-loop at the same time.
post #62 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
You forgot one.

Jacket with jeans can work for a young owner of a graphic design firm. The collar would need to be buttoned when meeting clients, however, and a more mature "trendy" haircut is advisable. The gray area between "designer" (e.g., skinny) and "trad" is the main problem, isn't it?

In the second picture, the jeans do look a little cheap and tight (at least for professional use), but the total outfit isn't bad.

Based on what has been shared, that's about all that can be said.

You're joking, right?
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You're joking, right? One of the absolute WORST looks in the world is the sports jacket with buttoned dress shirt without a tie. You see this look all the time on sports networks and the commentators that sport it (no pun intended) look like complete dweebs.

This is probably the biggest sartorial pet peeve of mine. Tiger Woods is one of the worst offenders, although it is usually with a polo shirt buttoned all the way.

The first time I ever saw this "look," it was being worn by a homeless man who somehow insinuated himself into a course I was taking. His clothes had the patina of glossy grime that only come from having no other clothes and wearing them day and night for months on end.
post #64 of 83
[quote=Augusto86]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan

Repeated for Emphasis - buttoning the top button without a tie is a sure-fire way to look bad AND out-of-the-loop at the same time.
It has that nerdy look.
post #65 of 83
post #66 of 83
Nice J. Picture = a thousand words
post #67 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You're joking, right? One of the absolute WORST looks in the world is the sports jacket with buttoned dress shirt without a tie. You see this look all the time on sports networks and the commentators that sport it (no pun intended) look like complete dweebs.

I also think that if you're going to wear a sports jacket, your collar should be sufficiently stiff so that it stays down (but hopefully not flat) and doesn't do what the collar in the picture is doing.

Your second point - okay. Your first, no, not when it's teal or some other non-traditional color. It is the typical white dress shirt that looks quite bad when worn without a tie, although arguably that might look worse to a business associate if not completely buttoned.
post #68 of 83
post #69 of 83
It reminds of all sorts of accused criminals who get as close to properly dressed as they can but have had potential dangers such as ties taken away. I vote absolutely not on a totally buttoned dress shirt sans tie.
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Your second point - okay. Your first, no, not when it's teal or some other non-traditional color. It is the typical white dress shirt that looks quite bad when worn without a tie, although arguably that might look worse to a business associate if not completely buttoned.

Let me just say that if I hired you to be my image consultant, and you advised me of such a decision in regards to buttoning the top button, regardless of color, you'd be fired. I don't know where you are getting this idea that it looks good -- it doesn't. It looks like you're missing a tie, and trying too hard.
post #71 of 83
It might work for a certain type of person with unconventional tastes.
post #72 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
You forgot one.

Jacket with jeans can work for a young owner of a graphic design firm. The collar would need to be buttoned when meeting clients, however, and a more mature "trendy" haircut is advisable. The gray area between "designer" (e.g., skinny) and "trad" is the main problem, isn't it?

In the second picture, the jeans do look a little cheap and tight (at least for professional use), but the total outfit isn't bad.

Based on what has been shared, that's about all that can be said.
+1 on the collar. If it's a button-down, button it down. If not, you need collar stays or something. Shirt collar goes inside jacket collar. I'm not a fan of the striped jacket with jeans look, but if you like it go with your preference over mine. I'd go for less obtrusive jacket in neutral colors if you want to wear it with jeans and no tie.
post #73 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
post #74 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing

Some of the objection might come from the fact, illustrated above, that men who wear fully-buttoned dress shirts with jackets and without ties often make sartorial choices that are clearly bad.
post #75 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Some of the objection might come from the fact, illustrated above, that men who wear fully-buttoned dress shirts with jackets and without ties often make sartorial choices that are clearly bad.

Or maybe that is simply a bad sartorial decision. Can you post of picture of someone who looks dashing with the top button closed? I just can't visualize it ever looking good except on (maybe) a eccentric with every other piece being perfectly tailored.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I have no... style...