• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sharpened Metal, and other Every Day Carry Items

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every since I was young I've always been interested in pocket knives. While I do a good bit of boating and fishing, I still don't have any real, valid reasons to carry an EDC knife -- but I've developed quite the collection. From Chris Reeve's, to William Henry knives. Vintage Cutco. Chicago Cutlery. Case XX. Pen lights. Folding scissors (huge obsession). Pry bars. Tactical pens. Just about everything. Here are a few pictures. Chris Reeve fixed blade:
ChrisReeve1.jpg
ChrisReeve2.jpg
Cutco Mini Folder, vintage, mint:
Cutco2jpg.jpg
Cutco1.jpg
Cutco Chrome detachable scissors, 1960's:
Scissors1.jpg
Scissors2.jpg
Boye Knife - Cobalt Steel, for salt water. Rust proof:
Boye1.jpg
Chris Reeve Sebenza (this is entry level into high end folding knives)
Sebenza2.jpg
Sebenza1.jpg
Emerson QC-7:
Emerson1.jpg
Random things:
Multi3.jpg
Folders1.jpg
Passport1.jpg

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good stuff. I wanted a sebenza for a while, but couldn't justify the price for s30v when my native cost my $30. I'm a huge Spyderco fan as far as production knives go. Buck also tends to be a good value.

Edit: if you want the pics to show up, wrap them in (img)(/img) tags (replace the parenthesis with brackets). Or just click the square the the mountain on it by the hyperlink tag.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Good stuff. I wanted a sebenza for a while, but couldn't justify the price for s30v when my native cost my $30. I'm a huge Spyderco fan as far as production knives go. Buck also tends to be a good value.

Edit: if you want the pics to show up, wrap them in (img)(/img) tags (replace the parenthesis with brackets). Or just click the square the the mountain on it by the hyperlink tag.

Thanks for the tip, galek. Got the pics up.

Yeah......the Chris Reeve Sebby is up there in price. It took me a while to finally make that buy. However, once received, and handled, it was all worth it. Everything you read online is true. The snap, the liner lock, the S30V that can shave your arm hair like it's nothing...

Stalk eBay for 1-3 weeks and I bet you can steal one in the $200-$250 USD range, if you're really interested.

Thanks again

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a British Army knife on its way:
lew-71700-open.jpg

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I have a British Army knife on its way:

That's a very handsome blade. I especially like the Marlin Spike.

I have a similar one - Made in NY State by Camillus for the US Army, desert storm, 1991. Same basic tool. I unfortunately decided to bring this one to the beach and am still trying to get all the sand out of the hinges.

1-2.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Benchmade 705 that I liked quite a bit, but was never happy with the factory edge on it. Happened to mention this to a former coworker, who apparently was an avid knife collector and told me to drop it off for sharpening.

Long story short, it came back a total mess. Dullest knife I've ever handled, with most of the black oxide coating scraped off. I suppose I should try sending it back to Benchmade to see if they can save it.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My normal daily pocketknife is a Kershaw Leek. It's nice and slim and keeps a good edge, which I mostly use for opening letters at the office.
ffffuuuu.gif
kershaw_leek_1660_540.jpg

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VaderDave
My normal daily pocketknife is a Kershaw Leek. It's nice and slim and keeps a good edge, which I mostly use for opening letters at the office.
ffffuuuu.gif

Knife people have fantasies about the day they get to use their knife up to its capabilities. I'll never get my money's worth out of the customs and high ends, but accepted that and have cut down my collecting to reflect it. I've only got 8 knives remaining, and if I do buy, Spyderco is as high end as I go now. My edc is a pocket clip, card case, and small pocket knife (generally an oldschool folder like my canoe).

My jeep bag and messenger bag are pretty well stocked, though.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VaderDave
ffffuuuu.gif

kershaw_leek_1660_540.jpg

How slim is that thing? Pretty sleek looking knife.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a definitive way to remove rust from a blade?

I've seen a couple of suggestions online...white vinegar, something about sticking the blade in a potato, etc.

dave

Reaction score
DSC_0570.jpg

My EDC. I'm a Syperco fan as well, and the design of the mini persian just did it for me. works like a champ too.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
DSC_0570.jpg

My EDC. I'm a Syperco fan as well, and the design of the mini persian just did it for me. works like a champ too.

bounce2.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
I have a similar one - Made in NY State by Camillus for the US Army, desert storm, 1991. Same basic tool. I unfortunately decided to bring this one to the beach and am still trying to get all the sand out of the hinges.

I had that exact same knife...and I lost it a few years ago. It tortures me. That and the 1950s Yugoslav army pocket knife that I lost years earlier that my dad had when he was in the infantry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads