or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Armoury - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Armoury - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 67

post #991 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post

I appreciate your candor and just to be clear, I'm not complaining. However, the thought of getting something at a discount is always going to give me (and I'm sure most others) incentive to spend more. I was excited when I heard there might be a sale as I'm sure most people would have been also. Personally, I rarely pay full price for anything and have no problem forgoing a particular item if I can't get it on some sort of promotion or sale. Like you said, "the price is the price" and that's fine with me. As for special treatment, I'm sure ANYONE would appreciate some sort of discount - free shipping, or XYZ % off the price, etc. The forum accounts for a good chunk of business for their store...........I'm sure even they would acknowledge this. Is it so bad if they show some appreciation for this? As nice as Carmina shoes are, $500 + per pair is steep for me, however any sort of incentive to get me to pull the trigger would be favorable for both myself and The Armoury. After all, I'm not asking to get them for free.....they would still make money.

i am glad you didnt take offence, that certainly was not my intention. like every other person out there i like a discount, and finding one is always extra incentive to pull the trigger. however, what i still dont understand is, if there is an item you like are you really gonna pass on it if you cant get free shipping or 5% off? that amounts to about 25 or 30 USD. just as a policy of never paying full retail you would deny yourself something you want over 25 bucks on a 500 +/- sale? really, are you serious? is the pride of not paying retail that important?

as to the armoury, i have no idea what their markups or profit margins are, they might be huge or slim, either way its none of my business, but i dont expect a deal just because i am on the forum and the forum gives them business. sure if i was fok or j maybe, and i set them up with their visibility here i might expect a back end deal, but as a poster why does that entitle me to a deal? what did i do for them that they owe me appreciation? i am no different than a person who walks by their store or saw a paper ad. the fact i saw them on SF is almost inconsequential. sure there are vendors that offer that, and it is kind of them to do so, but its far from anything they owe us imo. they offer quality goods, at fair prices and give superb service. there really isnt more i can ask for.

and lastly, i have no idea how much business they do outside the forum, but considering they have a brick and mortar store, not just a website, i would imagine it is considerable. not to mention i dont know what other advertising they do. that being said, if they have a sizable customer base outside the forum, it can be a slippery slope offering certain customers preferential treatment.

anyhow, like i said, i dont mean to be spouting off at you. everyone has the right to buy or not buy what they want, when they want, and at the price they want. i just dont really understand certain mindsets. no offence meant, just different strokes for different folks.
post #992 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i am glad you didnt take offence, that certainly was not my intention. like every other person out there i like a discount, and finding one is always extra incentive to pull the trigger. however, what i still dont understand is, if there is an item you like are you really gonna pass on it if you cant get free shipping or 5% off? that amounts to about 25 or 30 USD. just as a policy of never paying full retail you would deny yourself something you want over 25 bucks on a 500 +/- sale? really, are you serious? is the pride of not paying retail that important?
as to the armoury, i have no idea what their markups or profit margins are, they might be huge or slim, either way its none of my business, but i dont expect a deal just because i am on the forum and the forum gives them business. sure if i was fok or j maybe, and i set them up with their visibility here i might expect a back end deal, but as a poster why does that entitle me to a deal? what did i do for them that they owe me appreciation? i am no different than a person who walks by their store or saw a paper ad. the fact i saw them on SF is almost inconsequential. sure there are vendors that offer that, and it is kind of them to do so, but its far from anything they owe us imo. they offer quality goods, at fair prices and give superb service. there really isnt more i can ask for.
and lastly, i have no idea how much business they do outside the forum, but considering they have a brick and mortar store, not just a website, i would imagine it is considerable. not to mention i dont know what other advertising they do. that being said, if they have a sizable customer base outside the forum, it can be a slippery slope offering certain customers preferential treatment.
anyhow, like i said, i dont mean to be spouting off at you. everyone has the right to buy or not buy what they want, when they want, and at the price they want. i just dont really understand certain mindsets. no offence meant, just different strokes for different folks.

I've been lucky to get the things I want almost always on sale............if I can't, then I wait or just get over it and move on to the next obsession. It's not a biggie. It's nothing to do with pride, it's more of a discipline. It's easy to go around buying things at full price - and yes, some incentive is better than no incentive, regardless of how others view it. I like to save wherever/whenever possible, regardless if others consider it a small amount. For example, I've loved the classic Gucci loafers for as far as I can remember. They never go on sale and as such I don't have a pair. Just not worth it to me at $500. But the minute they do, I will own 2 pairs. Until then, no dice. I still get plenty of sleep. Maybe you don't get my mindset and perhaps it's better that way cool.gif

As for having a sense of entitlement - I don't. Membership on this forum doesn't imply anything. I was just being optimistic of the thought of the Armory having a sale but it never materialized. I should have never mentioned that!
post #993 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

thats why i had to black it out, didnt want teh banhammer.
thanks! i am almost always a US 12 and was recommended to go down 1 size to a UK 11 for these. it was good advice. go for it before they run out. the carminas are getting ever more popular and stock doesnt last for long.

Unfortunately, they are out of my size (8.5UK/9.5US) but Alan said that they plan on another shipment in mid-January.
post #994 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post

I've been lucky to get the things I want almost always on sale............if I can't, then I wait or just get over it and move on to the next obsession. It's not a biggie. It's nothing to do with pride, it's more of a discipline. It's easy to go around buying things at full price - and yes, some incentive is better than no incentive, regardless of how others view it. I like to save wherever/whenever possible, regardless if others consider it a small amount. For example, I've loved the classic Gucci loafers for as far as I can remember. They never go on sale and as such I don't have a pair. Just not worth it to me at $500. But the minute they do, I will own 2 pairs. Until then, no dice. I still get plenty of sleep. Maybe you don't get my mindset and perhaps it's better that way cool.gif
As for having a sense of entitlement - I don't. Membership on this forum doesn't imply anything. I was just being optimistic of the thought of the Armory having a sale but it never materialized. I should have never mentioned that!

fistbump.gifsmile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post

Unfortunately, they are out of my size (8.5UK/9.5US) but Alan said that they plan on another shipment in mid-January.

frown.gif i guess you will have to wait it out
post #995 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

fistbump.gifsmile.gif
frown.gif i guess you will have to wait it out

Since this is my first Carmina, I'm going to buy the Black Double Monk from Epaulet so if they do not fit, they are easy to exchange. This will allow me to find my size in a Carmina last and allow some time for Armoury to restock with spring and summer shoes. I'm thinking a nice suede or light brown wingtip.

480
post #996 of 1665
those are beautiful. i love the color.
post #997 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post

Unfortunately, they are out of my size (8.5UK/9.5US)

Wonder why? biggrin.gif
ec4553a4.jpg
post #998 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post

For example, I've loved the classic Gucci loafers for as far as I can remember. They never go on sale and as such I don't have a pair. Just not worth it to me at $500. But the minute they do, I will own 2 pairs. Until then, no dice.

fyi, they actually do.. at least in hkg during the sale season...
post #999 of 1665

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Wonder why? biggrin.gif


rotflmao.gif.

post #1000 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Wonder why? biggrin.gif
ec4553a4.jpg

They are beautiful!! boxing[1].gif

Alan indicated that they plan on restocking in mid-January. Like I said, I ordered the Carmina black double monks on the Inca last from epaulet which will allow me to establish a baseline for future orders.

Anyone know how the Simpson last compares to the Inca last?
post #1001 of 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post

Anyone know how the Simpson last compares to the Inca last?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ethandesu View Post

The Carmina lasts are all width specific - from my experience, you cannot get a narrow last made wide, nor a wide last made narrow. Rather they have lasts that are narrow or wide, with different shapes and toe boxes per last. What we currently carry are the following;

Simpson - a narrow last with a chisel toe. Reasonably extended in the toe box, and a reasonably narrow waist. E width.
Alcudia - much like the Simpson, but with more of an Almond Toe. E width.
Robert - A rounded Almond toe, E width. Officially it is the same width as the Simspon, but the extra room at the toe tends to make it more comfortable for wider feet.
Inca - a pointed toe, on our widest last, with a fairly wide waist. The most comfortable last we have for wide and flat feet. EE width.
Rain - Much like the Inca, but with a chisel toe. EE width.
Forest - a popular last in Europe, it is a standard width with a soft round toe, quite low in the instep, so high insteps can feel a little pinched in this last. E width.
Uetam - a new last for us in a loafer, it feels very similar to the Forest, if a shade narrower. E width.
post #1002 of 1665
Thanks Kaplan!
post #1003 of 1665
I freak'n love these shoes!!! MTO G&G Rothschild on TG73 Last from the Armoury.

235
post #1004 of 1665
Those look great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post

Since this is my first Carmina, I'm going to buy the Black Double Monk from Epaulet so if they do not fit, they are easy to exchange. This will allow me to find my size in a Carmina last and allow some time for Armoury to restock with spring and summer shoes. I'm thinking a nice suede or light brown wingtip.
480
post #1005 of 1665
I might've gotten a pair of the Simpson last Double monks as a Christmas present shog[1].gif and was wondering what shoe trees you guys with Simpson last shoes are using?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Armoury - Official Affiliate Thread