or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Navy trousers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Navy trousers

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
I thought there was a thread on these, but the search function turned up nothing.

What are your thoughts on navy pants? Are they appropriate or do they give off that middle-manager aura (read: short-sleeve BD)? Are they seasonal?
post #2 of 66
I like them and wear them in the summer and in the winter (flat front chinos).
post #3 of 66
i have some navy trousers but they probably get worn the least in my rotation. i usually go with black, brown, or khaki.

-Jeff
post #4 of 66
They don't bother me, at all. I like them.
post #5 of 66
I seem to remember a thread on the subject too.

Navy trousers are fine, but like Jeff above, I find they tend to get worn the least. Been thinking about getting a pair of navy narrow-wale cords for the autumn though.
post #6 of 66
Hard to successfully pair with odd jackets. On the acquisition list, they should be well behind other more versatile classics.
post #7 of 66
I don't care for them. I can't really say why. I think I associate them with older men.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I saw a younger fellow today wearing navy wool trousers, and he looked smart. Maybe I'll give them another chance, if I can find a nice pair of plain wool flat-fronts to try on.

I can't see myself ever buying navy cotton trousers, if only for the way they'd fade.
post #8 of 66
I have a few cotton pairs and really like them, but haven't been enamored with any wool to buy them.
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton
Hard to successfully pair with odd jackets. On the acquisition list, they should be well behind other more versatile classics.

Any recommendations? I certainly do have trouble matching my pair of navy trousers, though I do like my navy cords a lot and find they work well with many sweaters in the fall/winter.
post #10 of 66
There was a thread about them on AAAC. The subject revealed the snobbishness of a few members there.
post #11 of 66
I think they're extremely versatile, contrary to many of the above posts. They do NOT pair well with dark blue sports jackets but other than that I think they go well with tans, grays and olive-type sports jackets.

In a more casual context, they go great with most shirts and sweaters.

One way to avoid the middle-manager look, is to get a trimmer cut (e.g., some of the Incotex lines or Borrelli).

In fact, almost without exception, you can avoid the middle manager look by simply getting something that fits extremely well (whatever style you prefer). (certain assumptions made, e.g., no dockers logos, no shortsleeve button ups).
post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by horton
In fact, almost without exception, you can avoid the middle manager look by simply getting something that fits extremely well (whatever style you prefer). (certain assumptions made, e.g., no dockers logos, no shortsleeve button ups).

Sort of like how gray flannels and a navy blazer can make you look like either Astaire or a security guard...
post #13 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123
Any recommendations?
First, it depends on what fiber/weight/weave and color(s) of odd jackets you like to wear.

That said, in my view, gray flannel should always be #1. This is THE odd trouser, and perfect with everything. If you can afford to go nuts, it's nice to have them in various weights (say, at least two: 16 ounce and 10 ounce) and colors (medium to light look best, I think). You might also consider a gray twill worsted. Not exciting, but it can be useful. After that, brown cavalry twill is nice, as is tan gabardine. There a lot of cotton choices. For cooler weather, moleskin and corduroy are great, and work in many, many colors. I happen to like olive for corduroy, because it looks good in itself, and I really don't like olive wool. For warm weather, light tan or cream brushed khaki and linen are nice.
post #14 of 66
I am not a huge fan of navy in and of itself. Despite navy being a staple color for a suit, I do not own one nor do I ever intend to. I guess I only see grays.
post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by horton
I think they're extremely versatile, contrary to many of the above posts. They do NOT pair well with dark blue sports jackets but other than that I think they go well with tans, grays and olive-type sports jackets.

In a more casual context, they go great with most shirts and sweaters.

One way to avoid the middle-manager look, is to get a trimmer cut (e.g., some of the Incotex lines or Borrelli).

In fact, almost without exception, you can avoid the middle manager look by simply getting something that fits extremely well (whatever style you prefer). (certain assumptions made, e.g., no dockers logos, no shortsleeve button ups).

Preach, Funk Master!!

I have Incotex and RLPL navy trousers and the fit is the big distinguishing factor. With brown melange wool sportjackets, they look great. Add a pair of tobacco or brown suede boots or shoes and you'll look dashing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Navy trousers