• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How high is acceptable? Suggestions for urban college style...

Fashionless

Reaction score
Regarding the rise of pants when you sit down. How high is acceptable? Ankles showing...That acceptable? Does it matter whether they are jeans, corduroys or khakis?

I am applying to go to college in the spring and would like to have a way more stylish wardrobe by then. Everything from my undergarments to the outermost layers. My ultimate dream is...I look good no matter what I take off. All the way down to my under garments.

The area is mostly made up of small town people and college kids. Not going for the suit look just yet but am interested in displaying a more characteristic look. Right now it's visual t's and khakis. I know pretty lame. I rocked corduroys the other day and loved em. Got some compliments to. They weren't fitted but I know fitted would be better. I like clothes that escalate my shape. Fitted in my view is almost always better.

I'm a tall slim guy that really hasn't found his "style" yet. The dressiest I ever got was rockin a polo with jeans. Did I mention I had sneakers on to? Yeah it's bad, hence the wardrobe makeover. Tomorrow I'll be getting my measurements done as well as a haircut. BTW anyone got any suggestions for a shorter haircut that looks stylish? The hair is only one part so over the next few months I will be adding 1 to 2 items to my wardrobe a month.

PS I have a job interview at a recreation center and am struggling with what to wear. Small town so I am thinking a nice polo with a pair of jeans. I could go to the store and buy all new but cash is strapped.
Attachment 51173
Attachment 51174
Attachment 51175

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 pair good jeans. 2 pairs good shoes. You could do that for $500. Everything else you already own will work with it.

HPress

Reaction score
Totally accetable if your ankles show if you're sitting. Though they'll usually be covered by your socks.

For the interview, why don't you wear a long sleeved, collared shirt with khakis? If you don't have a shirt like that, then a polo with khakis will probably be fine too. I'd steer clear of the jeans.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As high as you like as long as you don't get caught. It is college after all.

HPress

Reaction score
Oh and don't just go out and spend $500 on clothes all of a sudden.

Fashionless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insensitive
armpit-high-pants.jpg

How about the Trad look?

I think this gentleman posts as CuffDaddy at another site but I'm not sure.

haha forget the teapot and go with an iPod so you don't hear the people laughing at you. lol.

Icarus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fashionless
haha forget the teapot and go with an iPod so you don't hear the people laughing at you. lol.

Only a nouveau riche would recommend switching some as trad as a tea kettle for something as parvenue as an ipod. I don't have a problem with slaves making the things I own, as long as they are my own slaves.

Fashionless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
1 pair good jeans. 2 pairs good shoes. You could do that for $500. Everything else you already own will work with it.
For now it will. I only have like 4 pants and they don't fit. To short, to baggy etc. Shirts I have 3 t's that fit well. Shoes I just got a new pair last month. Some sweet Nike running shoes.

Originally Posted by HPress
Totally accetable if your ankles show if you're sitting. Though they'll usually be covered by your socks.

For the interview, why don't you wear a long sleeved, collared shirt with khakis? If you don't have a shirt like that, then a polo with khakis will probably be fine too. I'd steer clear of the jeans.

I was thinking along the same lines. Was going to get a plaid long sleeve collared shirt. Maybe some nice professional khakis would look decent. I think jeans would be casual but it would work better. Is there a good color chart or guide around the web for colorblind men?

Originally Posted by HPress
Oh and don't just go out and spend $500 on clothes all of a sudden.
Even if I wanted to, money would be an issue. I was planning on buying 2 items a month so by the time spring rolls around I'll have around 4 shirts and 2 different pair of pants. One dress and one casual. Shoes I am still debating on what to wear to the interview. I got running shoes and that's it. It'll have to do though cause unless I can find a decent pair for under 80 in the next 3 days I'll be out of luck.

HPress

Reaction score
Why don't you get some Sperry Topsiders? They're like $65, they're comfortable and stylish casual shoes, they go well with khakis, and will be way better for an interview than running shoes. If you're in a hurry, you can order them in a few sizes (for example, 10, 10.5, 11 if you think you're a 10.5) and you'll have them Wednesday. http://www.zappos.com/sperry-top-sid...-honey-outsole As far as shirts go, why don't you first get a simple white button down shirt? Something like this: http://www.landsend.com/pp/NoIronPin...01__0000000009 As far as colors go, why don't you have a Brooks Brothers catalog mailed to your home? http://www.brooksbrothers.com/servic...st_catalog.tem You'll find a range of basic and conservative color combos in it that you can copy. Also, you can take your mom or older sister when you shop. They can veto things that clash. (I still shop with my mom from time to time, BTW.) I don't really believe in wardrobe "makeovers." Unless you've got serious $$$ to burn and a talented stylist to work with, you need a few years to find your style.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I said was a good pair of jeans. Two pairs of good shoes so they don't wear out too quickly.
That will elevate everything else he wears, no matter how ******.
T-shirts.
Plaid shirts.
Khakis, chinos, unless they're really good and cut for a young skinny guy in college, look stupid.​
This is coming from un nouveau pauvre. Of all the beautiful stuff I own from the good old days, I get the most use out of a single good pair of jeans, some good shoes, and some ratty tee shirts.

Fashionless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
All I said was a good pair of jeans. Two pairs of good shoes so they don't wear out too quickly.
That will elevate everything else he wears, no matter how ******.
T-shirts.
Plaid shirts.
Khakis, chinos, unless they're really good and cut for a young skinny guy in college, look stupid.​
This is coming from un nouveau pauvre. Of all the beautiful stuff I own from the good old days, I get the most use out of a single good pair of jeans, some good shoes, and some ratty tee shirts.

What about hats?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insensitive
armpit-high-pants.jpg

Incidentally, this is by far the coolest man on SF.

dasai

Reaction score
What about hats?
Ivy cap in wool tweed works well for the colder months. Use those behind-the-head earmuffs to avoid frostbite. For spring and summer, a straw fedora with a fairly stingy brim (~2") and interesting band should work well without being too old-mannish.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the rise of pants when you sit down. How high is acceptable? Ankles showing...That acceptable? Does it matter whether they are jeans, corduroys or khakis?

I am applying to go to college in the spring and would like to have a way more stylish wardrobe by then. Everything from my undergarments to the outermost layers. My ultimate dream is...I look good no matter what I take off. All the way down to my under garments.

]

The rise of the trouser will have no effect on ankle visibility when you sit down. Do you know what "rise" actually is?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads