or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Bedroom furniture - what is essential?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bedroom furniture - what is essential?

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 

..


Edited by merkur - 7/30/11 at 4:21am
post #2 of 35
If I had the space I'd have one room for sleeping, with nothing but a bed, and another room for dressing and lounging.

The dressing room could have a space for reading, watching TV, doing whatever I wanted to do in pajamas and/or a robe before or after sleeping.

Or the lounging area could be a separate room. Then the master bedroom area would include one room for sleeping, one room for dressing, and one room for lounging in private.

Reading in bed is wrong on so many levels. I would compare it to reading at the table during a meal. It's hard to do anything well if you are multitasking.

Essential: bed. Some kind of lighting perhaps. Windows that admit fresh air and sunlight when desired. Appropriate drapery. Nothing else. Large mirror on the ceiling maybe.
post #3 of 35
in a perfect world, my room would have only a bed, small table, light, and drapes on the window. nothing else. But unfortunately, I have limited rooms so I have a dresser in there as well as a bookcase. I think the less you have, the easier it is to get to sleep....sounds strange i guess...
post #4 of 35
Depends what your closet looks like. Mine is huge with lots of built ins so I have no need for any dressers, etc.

I would get two nightstands if I were you.
post #5 of 35
I have a bed, night stand and dresser. I sometimes feel as if I'm missing a few things. I'll be getting a work out bench and some weights soon.
post #6 of 35
Goodness you guys seem to have the most boring taste. Sounds like you want a sensory deprivation chamber more then a bedroom.

have a king size rococo style bed with a victorian marble top table on one side that I keep a decanter and glass with water, also a small flat screen. Other side a 6 foot baroque gold framed mirror. Near the large 6ft windows a large bronze statue by Bouret. Near my closets a painting by Koekkoek.

My bedroom is pretty large so I also have an antique cabinet. Great for extra storage.

Anyways I don't get the whole dulling your senses attitude. I want to walk thru my house and see art, beauty, opulence.
post #7 of 35
IMO, an actual bed (i.e., headboard, footboard) is the last thing you need. Would get all the furniture first.
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman808 View Post
Goodness you guys seem to have the most boring taste. Sounds like you want a sensory deprivation chamber more then a bedroom.

have a king size rococo style bed with a victorian marble top table on one side that I keep a decanter and glass with water, also a small flat screen. Other side a 6 foot baroque gold framed mirror. Near the large 6ft windows a large bronze statue by Bouret. Near my closets a painting by Koekkoek.

My bedroom is pretty large so I also have an antique cabinet. Great for extra storage.

Anyways I don't get the whole dulling your senses attitude. I want to walk thru my house and see art, beauty, opulence.

Rococo furniture looks out of place in almost every setting. Maybe you have the house to pull it off.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83 View Post
Rococo furniture looks out of place in almost every setting. Maybe you have the house to pull it off.

Definitely not something you do half assed. Either all or none.
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodum5 View Post
I have a bed, night stand and dresser. I sometimes feel as if I'm missing a few things. I'll be getting a work out bench and some weights soon.

Oh I do want a few other things: floor lamp, full sized mirror (one of those types with giant wooden pieces framing it), maybe something to sit on (but then, I don't spend much time in there).
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman808 View Post
Definitely not something you do half assed. Either all or none.

I'm picturing you living in Marble House.

post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83 View Post
I'm picturing you living in Marble House.


Thats how a house should be.

I mean that one room probably cost as much as most people make in a lifetime.. I love it!

Give me 10 years and I will have a place like that. But I still enjoy a taste of it.
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83 View Post
I'm picturing you living in Marble House.


Hmm, this place looks clean but a bit austere...
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman808 View Post
Other side a 6 foot baroque gold framed mirror. Near the large 6ft windows a large bronze statue by Bouret. Near my closets a painting by Koekkoek.

fuck yeah. statues and paintings
post #15 of 35
Buy the best mattress you can afford. If you have a mattress older than 10 years replace it. You need to spend at least $2000 or more for a truly qualty mattress. You may find some bargains in the $1000-
$2000 range. All the other things you can bulid around your anchor(Mattress) piece. You spend large
quantity of time sleeping...Give yourself the best quality of sleep possible.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Bedroom furniture - what is essential?