or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Anyone try this way of eating?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone try this way of eating? - Page 2

post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizanation
Hi Tck13,i completely agree with you.when i said, "pseudo-science," i was referring to matt's statement that "There are significant cognitive, physical and behavioral differences between the human races, which is overwhelmingly genetic in nature."

The trademark characteristic of pseudoscience is that a pseudoscientific explanation can be used to prove anything (even its opposite). It's non-testable. If blacks lag behind whites in some respect, it is attributed to their culture. If blacks succeed, it is attributable to their culture. You could just as easily insert "God smiles upon them" to account for observable racial differences.
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Where do you get that their are all these significant genetic differences between the human races?

That was a commonly accepted belief in the United States from the seventeenth century until the mid-twentieth century.

Quote:
Is there a particular study that you can point to that shows this?

Yes. There are many such studies.

Quote:
The majority of modern scientist would disagree with this and don't consider racial classifications biological classifications.

I'm not really interested in what the epistemologically worthless disciplines of sociology or cultural anthropology have to say about race. There is considerable support for the hereditarian hypothesis across several academic disciplines.

Quote:
The differences between the races are either considered to be superficial or the result of differing enviroments, not distinct genetic patterns.

If the environmental explanation for racial differences were true, it would obviously follow that the differences between races would be significantly tractable. Try finding a high school in the United States where East Asians and Europeans do not significantly perform Negroes and Hispanics academically, over and over again, year after year.

This was the whole premise behind integration. It was said at the time that segregation was the cause of such differences. Well. We integrated our public schools decades ago and have thrown billions of dollars away trying to uplift blacks to equality and have failed miserably.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus
Obviously. Anyone who suggests, you know, that there is any real difference in intelligence between modern humans and Homo habilis is a racist.

Well last time I checked there are no homo habilis living as hunter and gatherers. As far as I know any "people" currently living as hunter and gatherers are homo sapiens. If you know differently please enlighten us.
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus
Impressive. I hear there are studies that show, believe it or not, that blacks and whites have ten fingers and ten toes! The assertion is that hereditary racial differences exist within the human species, not that blacks and whites are biologically distinct in every respect. You are attacking a straw man.

So, if you snap your fingers, you can transform yourself morphologically into a black man at will?

I understanding the assertions and it just doesn't hold up that blacks and whites are biologically distinct categories. I also can't snap my fingers and turn my blond hair and blue eyes into brown hair and green eyes. Does that mean the blue eyes people and the green eyed people belong to different racial categories? No, they simply have superficial hereditary differences, hardly enough to make them racially distinct, just like the differences between people with pale skin and those with darker skin.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus
The trademark characteristic of pseudoscience is that a pseudoscientific explanation can be used to prove anything (even its opposite). It's non-testable. If blacks lag behind whites in some respect, it is attributed to their culture. If blacks succeed, it is attributable to their culture. You could just as easily insert "God smiles upon them" to account for observable racial differences.

Actually no. God smiles upon them is psuedoscience because its untestable. You could test the effects of enviroment upon different aspects of success. The reason the hereditary of race is psuedoscience is because it is unsupported by evidence.
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus
That was a commonly accepted belief in the United States from the seventeenth century until the mid-twentieth century.

Yes. There are many such studies.

I'm not really interested in what the epistemologically worthless disciplines of sociology or cultural anthropology have to say about race. There is considerable support for the hereditarian hypothesis across several academic disciplines.

If the environmental explanation for racial differences were true, it would obviously follow that the differences between races would be significantly tractable. Try finding a high school in the United States where East Asians and Europeans do not significantly perform Negroes and Hispanics academically, over and over again, year after year.

This was the whole premise behind integration. It was said at the time that segregation was the cause of such differences. Well. We integrated our public schools decades ago and have thrown billions of dollars away trying to uplift blacks to equality and have failed miserably.


The reason all those studies come from mid-century and before is because it was found to be based upon a false premise. If you have any recent studies that show distinct racial categories based upon genetics then please go ahead and present them. Just because we intergrated the schools it doesn't mean we made all the environments equal and we all started from an equal playing ground. Certainly blacks and hispanics tend to be behind in terms of poverty compared to europeans and east asians. Again, difference in performance in no way shows those differences are the result of hereditary causes. You mention all this support for the "hereditarian hypothesis" of race, if you have such recent evidence then please present it.
post #22 of 28
I try to follow the "Polymeal" diet - mostly because I like what it's composed of (and would eat it anyway) more than the science behind it.
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte.../329/7480/1447
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymeal
post #23 of 28
i cosign on all of gradstudent's answers on this topic.

i would also like to see any modern studies that indicate the racial basis for intelligence.
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndstooth


It looks a little like the South Beach Diet, except for the peanuts. Worked for me. Seems like a good plan.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus

If the environmental explanation for racial differences were true, it would obviously follow that the differences between races would be significantly tractable. Try finding a high school in the United States where East Asians and Europeans do not significantly perform Negroes and Hispanics academically, over and over again, year after year.

This was the whole premise behind integration. It was said at the time that segregation was the cause of such differences. Well. We integrated our public schools decades ago and have thrown billions of dollars away trying to uplift blacks to equality and have failed miserably.


you still have not offered any evidence that these "failures" are genetic and not due to cultural, socioeconomic, or a plethora of other factors or issues mattja..er daedalus.

your theories are woefully outdated. they would be more appropriate in
1930's berlin.
post #26 of 28
I eat "kind of Paleo" when I'm paying careful attention to my diet and "eating clean," simply because the sort of unprocessed foods one eats on a Paleo diet tend to be more nutrient-dense and filling than highly-processed foods. I get more out of 500 calories worth of lean meat and vegetables and a little good fat than I do out of 500 calories worth of white bread and "processed cheese food."

I cast a jaundiced eye, however, on dietary restrictions that forbid things like beans or whole-kernel corn, as many Paleo regimens do. Or even potatoes. Potatoes in moderation are, for me, a fine staple food, and they're not so calorically dense that they should cause a problem on their own. Just cook them in the oven, not in a half-inch of vegetable oil.

Same basic principle with other Paleo-forbidden staples - if your diet is centered on lean meat and vegetables, and you get adequate exercise, then I don't see how a half-cup of brown rice or whole-wheat pasta with a meal will cause your poor primitive GI tract to encase your body in dripping eruptions of unsightly adipose tissue.

Lots of different people get great results through varying combinations of "halfway sensible diet," "halfway sensible exercise," and "hard work."
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus
If the environmental explanation for racial differences were true, it would obviously follow that the differences between races would be significantly tractable. Try finding a high school in the United States where East Asians and Europeans do not significantly perform Negroes and Hispanics academically, over and over again, year after year.

This was the whole premise behind integration. It was said at the time that segregation was the cause of such differences. Well. We integrated our public schools decades ago and have thrown billions of dollars away trying to uplift blacks to equality and have failed miserably.

Wow...

Congrats to Mizanation and Gradstudent for continuing to discuss with this guy tactfully.
post #28 of 28
to long of a read...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Anyone try this way of eating?