or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Let's Talk About Replica Watches...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Let's Talk About Replica Watches... - Page 28

post #406 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

This threak is starting to sound like a broken record.

Where were you 20+ pages ago? fistbump.gif

I don't have a problem with the Alpha homages because they're clearly labeled as such and priced accordingly. The fakes.....well, frankly it's dull. I mean for a few hundred bucks you can find a vintage watch, get it spit and polished, and have something unique and interesting on your wrist. The need to use brand names to impress people so badly that you'd buy a fake is sad. But not as sad as posting a conversation with your sock puppet.
post #407 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiula View Post

Fakes are nowhere near their real counterparts in looks, and most people can in fact tell the difference.
I disagree. Most can't tell the difference. But those who know the piece can certainly tell after examining it ... some pieces are so bad those who know the original can tell at a glance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

He has a Rolex and Brietling fake.
He also told me owners of the identical watch did not know the difference.
This does not surprise me. Most people know very little about what they are wearing. But those do do know -- very few in number -- well ... see above.

But Reev, after reading your friend's story ... I can tell you with absolute certainty that he does NOT know watches. At one point he made a critical error that tells me he is far from knowing watches.

--

Of course, if one is wearing a watch to prove something to others ... one needs a shrink more than a good watch.
Edited by RSS - 9/26/11 at 9:27am
post #408 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiula View Post

This moots the entire discussion about moral issues and all. Forget trademarks, you're wearing crap and it shows.
I would disagree. You choose to wear 'crap' and it's your business alone. The only harm to others might be to their sense of aesthetics. Of course, that's not real harm. However, you choose to wear an illegal product and it becomes the business of others ... as others are harmed.

If I discovered that an employee wore counterfit merchandise, I'd fire them. After all, I'd have no reason to trust them. If I discovered that a friend wore counterfit merchandise ... I'd reevaluate the friendship and shut them out rather promptly.
Edited by RSS - 9/25/11 at 5:49pm
post #409 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastafarian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINIView Post
What about the poser feeling you'll get from wearing a replica?


panerai = other people perceive you as douche/poser


replica rolex = only I know. I think I can live with that. Other people still perceive me as a classy Rolex guy.
Rolex classy? Perhaps classy with a very heavy New Jersey accent.

Or to look at it another way ... it's about as classy as this musical number was intended to be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J8gf9OFTRY
Edited by RSS - 9/26/11 at 4:07pm
post #410 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

Rolex classy? Perhaps classy with a very heavy New Jersey accent.

...and to the girls carrying the fake Chanels and LVs
post #411 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post


Apparently, the CEO of hublot could not spot a fake piece from the real deal and employees of my local tourneau keep telling me how hard it has gotten of late to spot fakes without having to inspect the movement especially with ETA based watches and franken fakes with mish mash of genuine parts. I am afraid the OP is correct, fakes have gotten scarily accurate with very minor tells that would never be spotted on the wrist.


Maybe so. If you stick in a small town with not many discerning folks in your circle, sure it can work. It won't work in any city for too long.

Fakes are far from real quality today. It's easy to tell. Sorry mate.

As I mentioned earlier, real Japanese replicas exist, but are hard to find. Those are indeed difficult to tell. But those are NOT found on the cheesy websites mentioned by the OP. Watches by Jessica, Brittany, etc are all crap and the disingenuous website that was shared earlier in the thread is fake as the watches.
post #412 of 419

I just read all 28 pages of this thread and learned you people are really funny.

 

By you people, I mean...never mind.

post #413 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

If I discovered that an employee wore counterfit merchandise, I'd fire them. After all, I'd have no reason to trust them. If I discovered that a friend wore counterfit merchandise ... I'd reevaluate the friendship and shut them out rather promptly.

Better not come here then, you'd have no employees or friends. Mind you if you're in the USA or UK, you could well be sued for wrongful dismissal.
Edited by MikeDT - 5/8/12 at 8:02pm
post #414 of 419

I'm late to the game here, but I was just having this discussion with my Dad. My argument that if you care that much about what people think about you, use the few hundred you would have spent on a fake watch on something quality Ray-Ban or Persol sunglasses. He is willing to bet that even if you wore a $15K watch every day (which many of his co-workers do), you would get less comments on it than you would on a well done $30 haircut.

post #415 of 419

lol...

post #416 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Better not come here then, you'd have no employees or friends. Mind you if you're in the USA or UK, you could well be sued for wrongful dismissal.

Um er Having counterfeit merchandise is a crime here. I know a Korean woman that got busted and lost a lot of money in legal fees not to mention her shop. IMO if an employee is committing a crime on your premiss, the termination would be for cause. You'd have to cross all the T's and dot all the i's and it would likely be contested but I think you could do it in the USA.

Having said that, there are so many decent watches at the low end these days, why bother with a fake? On the subject of buying really high end watches, I've got a few that are worth a couple of thousand (high to me) and the only two people that have ever noticed was a hooker (also a friend) and another guy wearing the same watch at some clothing event. LOL smile.gif
post #417 of 419

I'd rather wear a respectable $100 watch than a fake one. 

post #418 of 419

I lose all respect for people that buy counterfeit merchandise of any kind.

post #419 of 419
Welcome to Styleforum PaisleySnail.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Let's Talk About Replica Watches...