or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Let's Talk About Replica Watches...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Let's Talk About Replica Watches... - Page 24

post #346 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

He researched it heavily, and spent big on his replica.
He knows watches as well as the next guy on watch forums.
It is identical to the real thing.
The only difference is that if you open it up, one of the tiny screws is not blue.
Not all replicas are made the same, and he found the best maker.
Very limited supply. You are talking about $20 replicas made of tin.
His are the real deal. Not even dealers can tell the apart.
You may have never seen how far the replica market has come.
Again, he paid over $300 for his watches, which is more than most non-replica watches.
These are not your father's replica Rolex's is what I am saying.

Utter rubbish.
post #347 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

You must remember, this guy invests heavily into his business and into many real estate holdings. He has wealth. And he is shrewd. He feels that most of the (broke wage slave) people he meets have no business spending that much on a watch in the first place. As such, he feels they are bigger fakers than he is. (and naive suckers, to boot) LOL !
Why is someone this 'successful' -- in your eye -- associating with 'broke wage slaves?' Why isn't he associating amongst his own kind? Does he feel some insecure need to feel superior?

It's sadly pathetic that your friend perceives his worth via the attention of others -- whom he perceives to be of a lesser value -- in a game of fraud. It's interesting that he's playing this game with those he perceives to be his inferior. Wonder what he'd feel like if he were around someone who had more than he? He'd probably recognize himself to be a failure given they way he perceives value.

I'm reminded of the Tracy Chapman lyrics:

To have a big expensive car
Drag my furs on the ground
And have a maid that I can tell
To bring me anything
Everyone will look at me with envy and with greed
I'll revel in their attention
And mountains
Oh mountains o' things.

Edited by RSS - 9/18/11 at 2:05pm
post #348 of 419
RSS, he is in the real estate business. Therefore, he interacts with many levels of people.
For example, he has many uneducated blue collar clients that wear $5k to $10k watches.
(Although they are, predictably, more garish and ostentatious than say a more reserved Submariner.)
Lawyers are the same type of animal. They deal with lawyers, yet they deal with low lifes.

My eyes? $500k a year is empirically successful b/c he is in the top 1% of earners.
Yes, there are millions of people who out earn him, but he is still successful if you consider 99th percentile "successful"

He doesn't perceive his worth any more than any other rube who pays the full $5000.
He loves watches. They make him happy. He also enjoys getting complimented on them. Just like SF.

To your lyrics above, this is SF.
People here are obsessed with clothing.
By definition, it is the most shallow forum I visit on the internet, bar none.
Your "simple living Middle Way" will fall on deaf ears here.
Here, people aspire to $5000 watches. Not downsizing, meditation, and eco-issues.
post #349 of 419
^Reevolving, in all sincerity, as one who can take apart his best watches and reassemble them with ease -- everyone needs a few hobbies -- I will attest that your friend's $300 replica is most unlikely to be anywhere near the equal of what it pretends to be. For example, I've often compared similar functioning watches by Patek Philippe and Jaeger LeCoultre and can perceive the relatively minor superiority of Patek's finishing over that of Jaeger LeCoultre (even if ulitimately I prefer Jaeger LeCoultre's watches). I've done the same with Patek & Rolex ... where the gap grows significantly. I've also compared replicas (even at the $1000 level) with the original, and there is NO mistaking which is which.

Even given my love of watches, at the social events I attend, I can't recall really taking the time to seriously consider what watch someone else is wearing. A good friend may come over to show me his newest watch with tourbillon ... and I might pull out a new minute repeater ... but we'd be what I call 'watch buddies.' We aren't trying to impress each other ... we are reveling in the mechanical marvel.
post #350 of 419
I struggle with the notion that there is something dirty or psychologically distressing about replica watches.

Virtually everyone I know has prints of famous paintings in their homes. They all are replicas. None are wrought with self-despair over not having bought the original from the Louvre.

Many take generic drugs as well. Perhaps some look at the Tylenol or Bayer with envy, but I suspect most simply see lower value with the brand name.

Aside from being a less common example than the above two, are replica watches really any different?

Note: at present I view watches as functional things and as such, I don't own one since I have my cell phone anyway. So, I don't have a particular stake in the matter right now.
post #351 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiego View Post

Virtually everyone I know has prints of famous paintings in their homes. They all are replicas. None are wrought with self-despair over not having bought the original from the Louvre.

Many take generic drugs as well. Perhaps some look at the Tylenol or Bayer with envy, but I suspect most simply see lower value with the brand name.

Aside from being a less common example than the above two, are replica watches really any different?
They are quite different. Many 'replica' watches -- especially those that sport the name of the original maker or manufacturer -- are illegal merchandise as they are rip-offs infringing on registered trademarks ... whereas the above referenced items -- generic drugs and reproduction prints -- are not. Reproduction prints are typically licensed with newer art or are images in the public domain when it comes to older pieces. Generic drugs are only legal when a patent runs out or they are allowed by the owner of a patent.

BTW please don't assume that everyone puts prints of famous paintings on their walls. There are people who have only original art on their walls. Some might have original pieces that are modestly priced ... some have collections that can rival those in museums ... and there are all levels in between. My houses adhere to the rule that all art be original.
Edited by RSS - 9/19/11 at 7:29am
post #352 of 419

Well...

 

Painters are either long dead with expired copyright protection, or compensated for people to put these prints in their house.

 

Generic drugs are made because patent protection has expired for the pharma company that conceived it.

 

Wearing a fake watch is a little dirty in this regard.  Rolex spends the time building the design and brand reputation, and chinese sweatshops copy it and ride their coattails.

 

As far as the amount of hate that everyone is giving replicas on this forum, that is overblown.  People here spend obscene amounts of money on clothing to trick others into thinking they are successful.  I think its mostly a jealousy thing that knockoff/offbrand clothing is much easier to spot as such, whereas a quality replica would need to be closely examined to determine that it is not authentic.  People here associate nice things with status and are upset that someone can "trick" the system with replica watches, while they are paying a big chunk of their annual salary to look nice and trying to build that same status with clothing and other things.

 

I own a couple of replicas.  I would never be able to afford a genuine one.  I like how they look.  If anyone asks I will tell them its fake.  Yes I shouldn't be supporting the chinese knockoff trade, so I feel slightly bad there.  But for me it is a nice way to learn about watches and diff models and what works and what doesn't.  I've opened them up and tinkered with them, doing minor repairs, something I wouldn't dream of doing with an authentic.  For me it has been a hobby and learning experience, so that one day when I do have $, I can invest in a nice timepiece.

 

Now as to the guy who claims that replicas are amazing and perfect and blah blah... mechanically, replicas are garbage compared to the real thing.  Even the nicest replicas that come in at ~500 bucks are nowhere near the real thing.  The asian manufacturers and resellers mark up a 50 dollar watch to 500 dollars because they can.  You are not buying a 500 dollar watch, you are buying 450 dollars of status.  This is one plus of authentic watches.  The ratio of what is brand markup and what is craftsmanship is much, much more balanced.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiego View Post

I struggle with the notion that there is something dirty or psychologically distressing about replica watches.

Virtually everyone I know has prints of famous paintings in their homes. They all are replicas. None are wrought with self-despair over not having bought the original from the Louvre.

Many take generic drugs as well. Perhaps some look at the Tylenol or Bayer with envy, but I suspect most simply see lower value with the brand name.

Aside from being a less common example than the above two, are replica watches really any different?

Note: at present I view watches as functional things and as such, I don't own one since I have my cell phone anyway. So, I don't have a particular stake in the matter right now.


 


Edited by jd2010 - 9/18/11 at 2:45pm
post #353 of 419

double post, sry

post #354 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2010 View Post

I think its mostly a jealousy thing ... a quality replica would need to be closely examined to determine that it is not authentic.  People here associate nice things with status and are upset that someone can "trick" the system with replica watches, while they are paying a big chunk of their annual salary to look nice and trying to build that same status with clothing and other things.
It may be jealousy for those who covet visible branding & logos. I am not one of those. One won't find visible logos in my wardrobe. I suppose one could claim my watches are an exception ... but one has to be damn close to read the name.

My objection is more wrapped up in the illegality and pretense of it. That said, I have purchased several to dismantle in comparison tests.

Edit: The dismantled replicas stayed dismantled and were discarded.
Edited by RSS - 9/18/11 at 7:31pm
post #355 of 419
^ This is not to say I think all laws are equal and must be obeyed. I just think tradmark infringement is a particularly sleezy avenue.

That said ... it's 3:00 PM on Sunday. This is good time to break out the 4/20.
post #356 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

They are quite different. Many 'replica' watches -- especially those that sport the name of the original maker or manufacturer -- are illegal merchandise as they are rip-offs infringing on registered trademarks ... whereas the above referenced items -- generic drugs and reproduction prints -- are not. Reproduction prints are typically licensed with newer art or are images in the public domain when it comes to older pieces. Generic drugs are only legal when a patent runs out or they are allowed by the owner of a patent.

BTW please don't assume that everyone puts prints of famous paintings on their walls. There are people who have only original art on their walls. Some might have original pieces that are modestly priced ... some have collections that can rival those in museums ... and there are all levels in between. My houses adhere to the rule that all art is original.

I agree completely that legality is an issue, and one that is strong enough to dissuade me from going down the replica road.

However, I still feel that objecting to replicas on the basis of compromised artistry is problematic, unless one also takes those prints off the walls.
post #357 of 419
RSS,

I'm not a watch guy, but I pressed him about how good these replicas really were. I was also skeptical.

He said the only way to EVER know is to take the thing apart (he laughs whenever he says this)
He even weighed it against the real thing. Dead perfect.

He has also handed them over to other "watch guys" he's met, for them to examine.
Never once has he been called out.

He even told me one time where both were wearing the same Brietling !
Guy never knew, he then laughed and said the other guy was an idiot spending $5000 on that watch.

The key with wearing a fake is to have confidence.
When asked "Is that a fake?" he answers "Would I wear a fake?"
Then he takes it off, and hands it over for examination. Again, he has topline fakes.
Since he's a hardcore watch guy, he knows all the models. He can "talk the talk"
He just didn't spend the $5000, but has the entire context that supports it.

That website he got them from is not even around anymore.
Edited by Reevolving - 9/18/11 at 7:02pm
post #358 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

The key with wearing a fake is to have confidence.
When asked "Is that a fake?" he answers "Would I wear a fake?"
The he takes it off, and hands it over for examination. Again, he has topline fakes.
Confidence is the key to everything ... even being a genuine fake.
post #359 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiego View Post


I agree completely that legality is an issue, and one that is strong enough to dissuade me from going down the replica road.

However, I still feel that objecting to replicas on the basis of compromised artistry is problematic, unless one also takes those prints off the walls.
Well ... I don't have reproductions on my walls ... so I have nothing to take down.

But you make a good point ... replica watches are 'artistically' somewhat equal to reproduction art. I see both as essentially worthless from an artistic point of view. That said, I suppose artistic reproductions can serve from an educational point of view ... replica watches can serve a similar purpose on a much less important level. As I noted, I dimantled several top quality replicas for comparison with the original.

Of course, I listed my primary objections as illegality (trademark infringement) and pretense ... compromised artistry wasn't in there.
post #360 of 419
Quote:


Just to caution the casual observer. Do NOT believe this nonsense table. The facts are as fake as the watches.

JessicaReplicas being "Swiss quality" that "no one but some jewelers can tell"? Garbage. Just google for their name and this is the first hit: http://jessicareplicas.pissedconsumer.com/

Almost all of these watches are cheaply produced in China and cost about Chinese Renminbi 100 with haggling in Guangzhou (about USD $15). Anything more, even the arbitrary figures of $ 79, 109, 119, 139 that most of these websites quote are drivel.

There are "replicas" produced in Japan and Korea, but it's not as easy to find them. You need to really know the places and digs. They are certainly NOT available online from Jessica or Brittany or Samantha.

Thought I'd share.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Let's Talk About Replica Watches...