or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Let's Talk About Replica Watches...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Let's Talk About Replica Watches... - Page 10

post #136 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by luftvier View Post
While we're on the subject, everyone take a look at my sweet Ferrari that is absolutely not a Fiero kit car...

I saw a Bentley the other day that was absolutely not a Chrysler 300.
post #137 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toofashionable View Post
i'm no expert but is the quality of replicas and genuine products really the same? I think it might be for some products as mentioned in the forum like suits.. But are watches really as well? I mean I know most replica factories from china do not produce good quality knock offs.

i totally agree.. its because of their slanty eyes... (like mine)
post #138 of 419
[quote=potemkin_city_limits;3681415]Its funny I had a friend give me a replica Rolex once. It looks almost perfect and no one would actually be able to tell the difference, yet I still just dont enjoy wearing it because to me its a $100 watch with a Rolex logo on it. If you cant afford the real thing then go buy something else.
QUOTE]

Remove or have someone remove the Rolex name on the dial and back (I assume) and it will be "something else" which you can then wear.
post #139 of 419
Interesting. Now there's even an Aussie website peddling the stuff: http://www.swissreplicawatches.com.au/
post #140 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
hold on a minute.


"We" don't have a problem with cheap HK tailors knocking off Italian styles, asking Chan to make spalla Camicaca..etc...etc soft shoulders/neopolitan this and that.

So why do we have a problem with replica watches?

I appreciate that such false logic likely came to you as a roaring epiphany.
post #141 of 419
Let's talk about replica watches.

Let's not.
post #142 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial1 View Post
Let's talk about replica watches.

Let's not.

Way to go letting this thread die
post #143 of 419
How passionate people get about fakes shows why Rolex IS about status. Fakes diminish how 'exclusive' Rolex is and undermine its reputation. At this point unless you are over 35 and look white collar most people will assume it's fake (chances are it is..) This is the only and true argument, your investment of 5k or 20k is being compromised by people who gain the same utility (in an economic sense, an item projecting a certain reputation or class or w.e you call it.) at a fraction of the cost, as supply rises, price falls. No, maybe not real price, but value certainly does. Let's look at other arguments, they all stem from how people feel about the first part of its post because otherwise they are plain silly. Fakes don't last as long. - first of all this is questionable, but even lets say it is not. A 200$ fake will surely last you at least a few years (ask any owner of a non-shit fake.) A real watch can last you say 10 years + . If you simply replace your fake a few times you will not only save money per times used (240x4 vs 3k ), dents and damage accumulated will also not scar your watch for life. This arguments provides NO rational logic, only emotional anger. Fakes don't look as good - Most fakes probably don't. Look on any popular news website and you'll find a ton of links of fakes that nobody can tell apart short of Rolex itself. Good fakes DO exist (look it up,) so anyone willing to look can find one. You have to lie to others and yourself - First of all anyone who asks such a ridiculous question as 'is this real or what' deserves to be told to go to hell. Really though why should you or anyone else care about how other people feel? If the feeling of others on the subject offends you it is not their problem. Just as we all have irrational beliefs and different (often unjustified) religious views, someone not prescribed to advertising incited ethics should not concern you. Can't afford it don't wear it - this is a good one since it's basically an argument by those who are angry but can't find a half-ass argument to put forward. Cliche much? You are not saying anything, or contributing to the debate. You just don't like fakes. Kudos. Good watches are worth collecting, and are much better - probably true, enjoy collecting great (and expensive watches.) There is no reason you should feel anger at anyone not sharing your view since you are in it for the quality, and quality is not affected by others buying fakes (if you buy retail.) You know what is affected? Reputation, but it's not about it right?
post #144 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderr View Post
How passionate people get about fakes shows why Rolex IS about status.

Or maybe people just don't like being fake.
post #145 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderr View Post
How passionate people get about fakes shows why Rolex IS about status. Fakes diminish how 'exclusive' Rolex is and undermine its reputation. At this point unless you are over 35 and look white collar most people will assume it's fake (chances are it is..) This is the only and true argument, your investment of 5k or 20k is being compromised by people who gain the same utility (in an economic sense, an item projecting a certain reputation or class or w.e you call it.) at a fraction of the cost, as supply rises, price falls. No, maybe not real price, but value certainly does.

Let's look at other arguments, they all stem from how people feel about the first part of its post because otherwise they are plain silly.

Fakes don't last as long. - first of all this is questionable, but even lets say it is not. A 200$ fake will surely last you at least a few years (ask any owner of a non-shit fake.) A real watch can last you say 10 years + . If you simply replace your fake a few times you will not only save money per times used (240x4 vs 3k ), dents and damage accumulated will also not scar your watch for life. This arguments provides NO rational logic, only emotional anger.

Fakes don't look as good
- Most fakes probably don't. Look on any popular news website and you'll find a ton of links of fakes that nobody can tell apart short of Rolex itself. Good fakes DO exist (look it up,) so anyone willing to look can find one.

You have to lie to others and yourself
- First of all anyone who asks such a ridiculous question as 'is this real or what' deserves to be told to go to hell. Really though why should you or anyone else care about how other people feel? If the feeling of others on the subject offends you it is not their problem. Just as we all have irrational beliefs and different (often unjustified) religious views, someone not prescribed to advertising incited ethics should not concern you.

Can't afford it don't wear it
- this is a good one since it's basically an argument by those who are angry but can't find a half-ass argument to put forward. Cliche much? You are not saying anything, or contributing to the debate. You just don't like fakes. Kudos.

Good watches are worth collecting, and are much better - probably true, enjoy collecting great (and expensive watches.) There is no reason you should feel anger at anyone not sharing your view since you are in it for the quality, and quality is not affected by others buying fakes (if you buy retail.) You know what is affected? Reputation, but it's not about it right?

who thinks this guy is a DB? Rolex ain't got no love here bro
post #146 of 419
Fakes are for fakes and just plain tacky. Buy an authentic Invicta instead of a counterfeit Rolex. They're actually really nice watches. Someone will eventually call you out and the embarrassment isn't worth the savings if you care at all about your reputation.
post #147 of 419
Answers are:
1. Not so.
2. Wrong
3. Who cares? (Although the quartz movement will probably keep better time.)
post #148 of 419
At dinner with colleagues a couple of nights ago one was boasting about a new fake Tag he bought in China at a bargain, $35.00, IIRC. I guess he thought we would be impressed. Ironically we had had a discussion about issues related to integrity earlier in the day.
post #149 of 419
A few years back, I inadvertently called out two friends who had Tags (I have one). Anyhow, I had to have the battery replaced and sent it off to the Tag service center. Until I got it back, I had a bill of $120.00. Naturally, I felt as if I got bent over and took one up the rear.

Anyhow to my friends who also wore what looked like Tags. I complained to one about the cost of changing the battery (the watch was also cleaned and something else replaced), and that friend very sheepishly said his watch was a fake. Interesting, as I didn't think this fellow a poser! So, to my other friend, prepared with the knowledge of outing the first, I said the same thing. He very unabashedly said his Tag was a fake and that he would never pay the cost of the real deal (although he clearly could have, but the first guy couldn't). I told him I was a dumb ass that did pay for the real deal and at an authorized store to boot.

Takes all kinds.
post #150 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastafarian View Post
panerai = other people perceive you as douche/poser


replica rolex = only I know. I think I can live with that. Other people still perceive me as a classy Rolex guy.

Hmmmm. Maybe you're right. I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of a handy supplier of these items, could you? You could? What an astonishing coincidence. What luck that I stumbled across this thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Let's Talk About Replica Watches...