• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Ridiculous Food Industry Obsessions

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
KA, ITT, Iammatt grumbles.
smile.gif

I am all behind Ruhlman's Of a Chef series. I am behind TFL and Alinea cookbooks. Hell, when Grant Achatz mentioned that he was writing memoirs, I kind of understood. I mean, he did go through some serious cancer and has been through a lot for a 35 year old.
But now they are making a biopic about him?
confused.gif

This, along with the Neal's Yard Dairy Farm documentary that was posted a few weeks ago are really just..... wow.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer it when people don't masturbate in my food.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
obviously not favored by the industry itself, but the grading system in los angeles irritates the **** out of me.. it's like pulling teeth getting people to go to some great little B or even an occasional C rated restaurant, despite the fact that my or most of my friend's kitchens would probably be a C at best. I mean 5 second rule? come on.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
obviously not favored by the industry itself, but the grading system in los angeles irritates the **** out of me.. it's like pulling teeth getting people to go to some great little B or even an occasional C rated restaurant, despite the fact that my or most of my friend's kitchens would probably be a C at best. I mean 5 second rule? come on.
you need new friends.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
you need new friends.
look, you make an omelette, you're going to get a little rat feces in there. also, i worked at a popular deli as a teenager, and the serving of meat that had been dropped onto the rubber mats was as consistent as their A rating.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I hate people who think they are food experts because they watch Top Chef and have a blog.

And I especially hate those who only eat at nice places during the discount NYC restaurant week and then judge this as the standard for the restaurant.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When I am out FINE DINING I hate not having enough napkins or RANCH dressing.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pork belly
Adding a little asian sumthin-sumthin just because
Chilean seabass - is there only one fish in the freakin sea?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Glad I'm not in the industry.

Agree on last two points.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Pork belly Adding a little asian sumthin-sumthin just because Chilean seabass - is there only one fish in the freakin sea?
Do you dislike pork belly, or just its prevalence? I can understand the latter, but it does taste good most of the time. I don't like a lot of the sweet main courses and meaty desserts you see nowadays. Pretty gross IMO. We don't even see Chilean Sea Bass here anymore. I think you'd get a protest. Never really liked it, myself.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm dubious of molecular gastronomy and 99% of foams.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The constant referrals to "Chef." e.g.

"Chef would like you to enjoy this amuse bouche before you begin."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads