or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cameras: Help me decide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cameras: Help me decide - Page 3

post #31 of 50
I just bought a D50. I know, I'm cheap...

!luc
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Sony are "rebadged" minolta, which they bought a few months ago. !luc
Yes, but then that means that you can use Minolta lenses. Jon.
post #33 of 50
I'd definitely go for the canon!
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Yes, but then that means that you can use Minolta lenses.

Jon.
indeed, you should be able to (from the Dynax 5D/7D). At least from what I read.

!luc
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
indeed, you should be able to (from the Dynax 5D/7D). At least from what I read.

!luc

Minolta uses A-Mounts, and I think the Sony Alpha does as well. That being said, I personally would still get a Nikon.

Jon.
post #36 of 50
Thread Starter 
So I learned there's a grey market for cameras. A ton of merchants give themselves shittons of feedback for their sites, saying "great service, fast shipping," etc. etc. and have prices like Nikon D200s for $500. Then they bait and switch, tell you the d200 is out of stock and try to upsell you with all this other junk. So D80 pre-order it is. I can't wait. Gonna start with a cheap-ass 50mm f1.8 lens until I can afford the apparently amazing 18-200 VR.
post #37 of 50
There aren't many quality online camera shops. B&H is one of the very few that have great prices and fair serrvice.
post #38 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
There aren't many quality online camera shops. B&H is one of the very few that have great prices and fair serrvice.

I'm getting mine from wolfcamera.com - they're an affiliate with dpreview.com and I talked to them on the phone to make sure that I'd get in with the first shipment of d80s if I pre-order now (and I will, but mostly because Im buying the body and not the kit). price is the same as B&H
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
There aren't many quality online camera shops. B&H is one of the very few that have great prices and fair serrvice.

Also KEH in Atlanta.

Jon.
post #40 of 50
A list of reliable online camera dealers who are actually authorized dealers:

bhphotovideo.com
adorama.com
buydig.com
beachcamera.com

There are others, but these guys seem to have the most competitive pricing for trustworthy dealers.
post #41 of 50
More on the Sony Alpha. It looks like they are doing a good job of placing themselves in the DSLR market. I'm keen to see what their next release looks like. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a1tNArNUlcUU
post #42 of 50
I actually played with these two cameras today. Although the Nikon has a good set of features, the Canon is a bit less expensive and has a self cleaning sensor and other features that were quite attractive. Going to purchase one of these from a local shop that has very attractive pricing.
post #43 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I actually played with these two cameras today. Although the Nikon has a good set of features, the Canon is a bit less expensive and has a self cleaning sensor and other features that were quite attractive. Going to purchase one of these from a local shop that has very attractive pricing.

I are you sure you handled the D80 and the 400D? Both of them are not out yet, with the D80 coming sooner. Also, what is the pricing like at this shop? I wouldn't mind driving up to Orange County if the price is right. It's only a 1-hour drive.
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I are you sure you handled the D80 and the 400D? Both of them are not out yet, with the D80 coming sooner. Also, what is the pricing like at this shop? I wouldn't mind driving up to Orange County if the price is right. It's only a 1-hour drive.

I didn't play with the D80, as they didn't have it, but handled the D70 instead, however they had a rep who had the XTi there. I'm not currently in Orange County, but in my hometown of Madison, WI. They said the XTi and D80 would both be in next week, though. I think the D80 was $1000 for the camera and $1100 with the kit, or something, but I was more interested in the Canon.
post #45 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I didn't play with the D80, as they didn't have it, but handled the D70 instead, however they had a rep who had the XTi there. I'm not currently in Orange County, but in my hometown of Madison, WI. They said the XTi and D80 would both be in next week, though. I think the D80 was $1000 for the camera and $1100 with the kit, or something, but I was more interested in the Canon.

Yea. The D70 and D80 are nothing alike. Don't let the D70 discourage you.

The D80 is basically a D200 inside of a D70 body and probably has a few more software features - the only thing the D200 has that the D80 doesn't is 5 fps for action shots. The D80 viewfinder is much larger and brighter than the 400D and D70.

So don't consider the D80 so much as an improved D70, it's more like a D200 with slightly slower shooting, where as the 400D is just a slight improvement over the 350D.

I'd be careful before you buy that Canon. I only say this because I've read reviews between the Sony A100/Canon 400d/Nikon D80 and every one so far has put the D80 in first place. I strongly advise you check out the D80 before you purchase the 400D - the D70 is not a good indicator on the quality of the D80.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cameras: Help me decide