or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 376

post #5626 of 27202
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

Bosh > Melo

man, melo was fuckin shit up last year lol Bosh doesn't nearly have numbers like him. Plus, Bosh is soft on the inside and doesn't have heart at all (as you can see in his days in Toronto).
post #5627 of 27202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Actually, Bosh's stock has been on the rise this year with the constant absences of Wade.

which is a temporary occurrence. And I was more so referring to how he was considered a premier player before going to MIA and then once he got to MIA he went MIA lol
post #5628 of 27202
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post

which is a temporary occurrence. And I was more so referring to how he was considered a premier player before going to MIA and then once he got to MIA he went MIA lol

He averaged 20 last year as the 3rd option...
post #5629 of 27202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent View Post

He averaged 20 last year as the 3rd option...

and he was getting what, 25 the year before with TO? his rebounds were down too (which is what he was brought in to do mainly). and even his assists were down, which was one of his advantages as a big man that can pass

also, I swear he averaged 18 last year...?
post #5630 of 27202

..


Edited by merkur - 4/19/12 at 11:44pm
post #5631 of 27202
melo was never considered a great player by people who love basketball. he's like dominique wilkins without good dunks. was so glad my son said he wanted a chandler jersey because he doesn't like the way melo plays.
post #5632 of 27202
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekunk07 View Post

melo was never considered a great player by people who love basketball.

not saying he is a great player necessarily but that's an awfully broad brush.... you make it sound like anyone who disagrees with you doesn't really like basketball. if that's your intent it's a bit... over the top. more than a bit actually.

anyway i hit a busy patch and i'm just catching up with this Jeremy Lin phenomenon. papers make it sound like you miss a week and you've missed a sea change. kid's played 5 games (excellent ones, true)... the hype makes me cringe. even so, i've been catching up with his performances on League Pass (full games, because highlights dont' tell the story). hard to say whether he'll be 'great' but he'll be really good i think. i expect he'll slump a bit as other teams start studying him but if his stat line and +/- against T-wolves is any indication it won't hurt much.

latest round of hype is focusing on whether Melo's return will screw things up. ahhh.... no. Melo can be a very good 3, but he's not even in the mold of Lebron, not the kind of 3 that ought to be bringing the ball up. i think Lin will make Melo better because he'll be able to just do his thing and play like a 3. all the Knucks needed was a point guard that isn't horrible to end The Awfulness so far this season; looks like they may have gotten quite a bit more than that. unfortunately it's NYC and the hype has already hit cringeworthy proportions but i think Lin will weather the ups and downs well.
post #5633 of 27202
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

So. . . trade Melo? Seriously, is there any player in the league that has seen his stock fall as far as fast as Melo?

here's two trades:

both involve the hawks: both work in the trade machine

trade melo for Joe Johnson straight up

or my personal favorite:

trade melo for Josh Smith and Kirk Hinrich (that team could run run run run run di-antoni run run run style).
post #5634 of 27202
a bit of an afterthought:: watching the Knuck-Knucks vs T-wolves and Clyde commented something along the lines of the rules have changed a lot compared to 15 years or so ago, in ways that allow smaller, quicker players, and more cerebral players to play their game without getting mauled by the big lugs. Lin is both. i think JJ Barea's coming out of nowhere was a result of that too. the game looks very different than the last time i watched a lot of ball (only a few years ago). the point guard is the most important position now. i think the rule change is part of it. it's probably part of why scouts passed over Lin too: physically, he isn't what you'd look for in the NBA if it was, like, 15 years ago. the teams that figure out how to spot Barea or Lin or Rubio types will strike gold. i suspect there's more of these guys out there getting cut repeatedly while everyone over 7' gets a contract (pulse optional).
post #5635 of 27202
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

here's two trades:
both involve the hawks: both work in the trade machine
trade melo for Joe Johnson straight up
or my personal favorite:
trade melo for Josh Smith and Kirk Hinrich (that team could run run run run run di-antoni run run run style).

I have never ever questioned your intelligence until now tongue.gif

Joe Johnson is like a better rip hamilton at this point.

your second option, however, gave me a semi.
post #5636 of 27202
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusbheld View Post

not saying he is a great player necessarily but that's an awfully broad brush.... you make it sound like anyone who disagrees with you doesn't really like basketball. if that's your intent it's a bit... over the top. more than a bit actually.
anyway i hit a busy patch and i'm just catching up with this Jeremy Lin phenomenon. papers make it sound like you miss a week and you've missed a sea change. kid's played 5 games (excellent ones, true)... the hype makes me cringe. even so, i've been catching up with his performances on League Pass (full games, because highlights dont' tell the story). hard to say whether he'll be 'great' but he'll be really good i think. i expect he'll slump a bit as other teams start studying him but if his stat line and +/- against T-wolves is any indication it won't hurt much.
latest round of hype is focusing on whether Melo's return will screw things up. ahhh.... no. Melo can be a very good 3, but he's not even in the mold of Lebron, not the kind of 3 that ought to be bringing the ball up. i think Lin will make Melo better because he'll be able to just do his thing and play like a 3. all the Knucks needed was a point guard that isn't horrible to end The Awfulness so far this season; looks like they may have gotten quite a bit more than that. unfortunately it's NYC and the hype has already hit cringeworthy proportions but i think Lin will weather the ups and downs well.

It's not really subjective, he isn't a very good ball player. Is a very good scorer, that's it. you just said you didn't even re-start watching basketball until a few days ago and I am forced to watch every game so let's go on my opinion.
post #5637 of 27202
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post

and he was getting what, 25 the year before with TO? his rebounds were down too (which is what he was brought in to do mainly). and even his assists were down, which was one of his advantages as a big man that can pass
also, I swear he averaged 18 last year...?

I dunno, IMO you can't do much better than Bosh as a 3rd option. I'd dare say he's the best 3rd option in the NBA. He didn't dominate in the NBA as a 1st option so wasn't expecting any more than he's giving. Also, seems Wade's style of play has caught up with him. I expect him to be completely cooked by 32.
post #5638 of 27202
Spurs 7 in a row on the Rodeo road trip. Ginobili back.
post #5639 of 27202
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

he's not chinese. he's taiwanese american. (all rook same).
asian american works dude. he's like 2nd generation. he's practically american. half my high school friends grew up with him. the ones that went to chinese school with him talk about how their mandarin is better lol8[1].gif

+1 ... thanks for making that distinction! fing02[1].gif
post #5640 of 27202
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post

Chris Bosh....

WTF? Bosh has played well and actually stepped it UP in the finals. He's also been a total team player and shown that when LBJ or DW are out he can still carry an offense.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread