or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 305

post #4561 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeem View Post

If Chris Paul gets traded to the Lakers in another ridiculous Gasol-type of deal, there will be no question in my mind that David Stern runs the league any way he wants to maximize profits.
There's always something that seems a bit too fairytale-ish about what happens in the NBA, just not as obvious as pro-wrestling. Just a few in recent memory.
#1 pick goes to Cleveland (and the "good luck" kid) after lebron debacle
Chicago gets #1 pick and hometown hero
Stars sent packing to LA, Boston, NY, Miami
Pau Gasol and 2 titles to the Lakers for garbage
Cleveland gets #1 pick and hometown hero
Lakers/Sac game 7
Jordan era - too many to choose
NY wins first lottery for Ewing

A lot of this has to do with stars WANTING to be in big markets. They have more power than in the past and can force moves. When a small market team sees a star leaving and getting almost nothing in retun they make bad deals. I'm sure there is some pressure from above but I doubt its WWF.

Look at Miami, those players decided to join eachother there. In todays market endorsements are often worth more than salaries so players are not as motivated to get the best $ deal from a team knowing Nike will suppliment them.
post #4562 of 27247
Dammit! I wanted Battier on the Lakers.
post #4563 of 27247
I can understand the stars wanting to go to big cities through free agency. But getting them there through trades and draft picks can easily be manipulated by the Boss. The Gasol trade was crazy because the GM took the first/worst offer possible. Maybe he was just a ritard.
post #4564 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeem View Post

I can understand the stars wanting to go to big cities through free agency. But getting them there through trades and draft picks can easily be manipulated by the Boss. The Gasol trade was crazy because the GM took the first/worst offer possible. Maybe he was just a ritard.

Well, you dont know what was happening behind the scenes. Bad trades happen all the time. At the time Gasol was an 18 and 8 player, hardly a superstar. What I learned from fantasy bbal (yes, this makes me an authority) is that multi player deals for a single player almost always favor the team trading for the single player. Easy to acquire role players.

You are using a bit too much hindsignt on this one. Kwame Brown could have exploded (pfff, I know) and become a late blooming superstar, suddenly Memphis were genius. Also note, expiring contracts have much more value than ever.
post #4565 of 27247
Thread Starter 
If Stern controlled the NBA then the Spurs wouldn't be in the NBA Finals, ever.
Believe it or not, this is not a shot at Steve but the Spurs in the Finals garnered the lowest ratings ever iirc.
People just found them too fundamentally sound but also too boring. I mean look at Duncan for Christ sake.
So if the conspiracy were true, that Stern controlled every aspect of the NBA, then the Spurs wouldn't have 4 chips right now.
post #4566 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


Well, you dont know what was happening behind the scenes. Bad trades happen all the time. At the time Gasol was an 18 and 8 player, hardly a superstar. What I learned from fantasy bbal (yes, this makes me an authority) is that multi player deals for a single player almost always favor the team trading for the single player. Easy to acquire role players.
You are using a bit too much hindsignt on this one. Kwame Brown could have exploded (pfff, I know) and become a late blooming superstar, suddenly Memphis were genius. Also note, expiring contracts have much more value than ever.


 

Any time you see a lopsided trade in the NBA, it's because of this.

 

More often than not, GMs just trade contracts. Players just happen to come along with them.

 

post #4567 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Well, you dont know what was happening behind the scenes. Bad trades happen all the time. At the time Gasol was an 18 and 8 player, hardly a superstar. What I learned from fantasy bbal (yes, this makes me an authority) is that multi player deals for a single player almost always favor the team trading for the single player. Easy to acquire role players.
You are using a bit too much hindsignt on this one. Kwame Brown could have exploded (pfff, I know) and become a late blooming superstar, suddenly Memphis were genius. Also note, expiring contracts have much more value than ever.

+1. i remember being elated at that trade not because i loved pau gasol (though i do now inlove.gif), but because we were getting rid of kwame brown. i expected gasol to become a slightly better than average role player. shows what i know.
post #4568 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

If Stern controlled the NBA then the Spurs wouldn't be in the NBA Finals, ever.
Believe it or not, this is not a shot at Steve but the Spurs in the Finals garnered the lowest ratings ever iirc.
People just found them too fundamentally sound but also too boring. I mean look at Duncan for Christ sake.
So if the conspiracy were true, that Stern controlled every aspect of the NBA, then the Spurs wouldn't have 4 chips right now.

I am not saying that he controls every aspect of the game. If he did that, it would just be obviously just like professional wrestling. He has to make moves with a bit of subtlety, like a magic trick. Things happen, but you can't see how it happens. I'm just saying, it's not purely by chance how everything happens in the league.

Anyways, just throwing my 2 cents out there. Still love the game itself.
post #4569 of 27247
if stern really wanted to just build up the big market teams, the last thing he would have done was hold out for the new cba. you can't really look at that thing and still cling to your conspiracy theories. it's socialism. that's what it is. where's fran when we need the outrage?
post #4570 of 27247

ya, the new cba makes it a bit more difficult for players to force there way into big markets and with the new repeat offender rule, teams are less likely to pay their way into the luxury tax year after year.

post #4571 of 27247
i really think it's going to have a radical effect on the game. maybe for the best, as far as levelling the playing field. but honestly, i think the talent level is pretty even right now. what it will really do is reduce the margin of error for the rich teams. no more sloughing off $20 million mistakes.
post #4572 of 27247
holy crap tyson chandler to the knicks....

looks like my celtics are now too old and thin in the middle to compete in the east. of course they'll make the playoffs but someone like tyson chandler -the soldier who does the dirty work and whats best for the team at 5 - is EXACTLY what the knicks needed...

it also points towards signs of the knicks possibly trading amare or carmelo for chris paul now. you can actually give up carmelo and be a better knicks team with CP3, amare, and chandler who all know how to move/score without the ball (through pick and roll ect).
post #4573 of 27247
and they're also saying shannon brown to the suns (should be an exciting fit); and caron butler to the clips (don't really see that as an immediate win, but maybe; i've always liked his game).
post #4574 of 27247
Thread Starter 
They can't get rid of Melo or Amare for CP3. You get rid of one of those and he might not stay. lol8[1].gif
Plus they promised those two that they will keep them, don't think the Knicks has the balls to get rid of either one.
post #4575 of 27247
Perfect. Billups for Paul. Nothing would demoralize New Orleans fans more than a peeved, aging former star like Chauncey dragging his carcass up and down the court. Probably would work with the cap.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread