or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1668

post #25006 of 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

would rather have the worst record and the trophy.

Lakers got half of that right.
post #25007 of 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsayers View Post

Different sport but no one considers the 2007 New England Patriots, that went ubdefeated in regular season, as the greatest team of all-time because they lost the championship game against the NY Giants.

Wrong. I can absolutely guarantee you that lots of people consider that the greatest team of all time, and I will wager any amount of money you like that thousands upon thousands of people don't consider the undefeated Dolphins team to be the greatest of all time.
post #25008 of 27226
They're still losers.
post #25009 of 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post

@foodguy
 is a Clips fan, no?

bandwagons
post #25010 of 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

I'm not sure why this is a hard concept to grasp, having the best record ever and not winning a championship? No real point in that, would rather have the worst record and the trophy.

I don't remember clipper fans in here. Skitlets the only gs fan I've seen, poor guy has suffered for so long I'm glad his team is finally having some success.

Hahaha <3. There were many dark years... when laker fans outnumbered us in Oracle. So demoralizing. And of course the Lakers fucking take a game last season to end the streak, and once this season.
post #25011 of 27226
Slightly pathetic being a grown man who identifies as a fan of a professional sports team

Identifying as a hater of that team is much more sophisticated
post #25012 of 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Wrong. I can absolutely guarantee you that lots of people consider that the greatest team of all time, and I will wager any amount of money you like that thousands upon thousands of people don't consider the undefeated Dolphins team to be the greatest of all time.
Those people would be idiots. No team that loses the championship should be in the discussion on all time greats, much less the greatest evar. The Patriots have plenty of champion teams that could be entered for consideration if one was so inclined
post #25013 of 27226
I think achieving the regular season all-time record is a greater accomplishment than winning a championship as it requires consistent high level output over a very long, grinding period. Going 73-9 is a very, very, big deal. Championships are won, by someone, every year. All time records are not. And winning a series, even a best-of-seven like the NBA is susceptible to flukes like an opponent's injuries or weird matchups in a way that a regular season record is not.
In any case, no one has the option to trade one for the other and I am not surprised the Warriors went all out down the stretch. Resting your best players doesn't guaranty you anything - you might miss the record and then they can still sprain an ankle in the finals.
Edited by dopey - 4/11/16 at 2:26pm
post #25014 of 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Those people would be idiots. No team that loses the championship should be in the discussion on all time greats, much less the greatest evar. The Patriots have plenty of champion teams that could be entered for consideration if one was so inclined

Fine by me. There are plenty of idiots on both sides of that argument, I'm sure. Personally I hate the Belichik-era Pats and generally find those kinds of arguments silly; I'm certainly not promoting them as the GOAT. I'm just pointing out that building an inherently subjective argument on obviously false "factual" premises is even more silly. However idiotic you and the OP may regard people who would argue that was the greatest team ever, it's simply not true that they don't exist.
post #25015 of 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post

Hahaha <3. There were many dark years... when laker fans outnumbered us in Oracle. So demoralizing. And of course the Lakers fucking take a game last season to end the streak, and once this season.

LOL!! All good man you stuck with your team unlike all these other dickheads who are "dubnation" all of a sudden. That would piss me off. I'm lakers/dodgers/kings all day no matter what.

@hroi, totally agreed...73 wins is quite an accomplishment but they're not champions unless they win it all which is all that ultimately matters
post #25016 of 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Fine by me. There are plenty of idiots on both sides of that argument, I'm sure. Personally I hate the Belichik-era Pats and generally find those kinds of arguments silly; I'm certainly not promoting them as the GOAT. I'm just pointing out that building an inherently subjective argument on obviously false "factual" premises is even more silly. However idiotic you and the OP may regard people who would argue that was the greatest team ever, it's simply not true that they don't exist.

Facts as justification = modern analytics. For me, there was no more dominant team than the '85 Bears.
post #25017 of 27226
FWIW, I believe the 04 Pats are in the discussion as one of the most impressive teams assembled. I also really liked the 2014 team but that's more of a recency bias. But to say the 2007 Pats team wasn't all that special,,, I think that's going a bit overboard. Although you could say the same for the Panthers team this year if they went undefeated in the regular season.



And yeah, what jet said. 73-9 won't mean jack unless they win the LOB
post #25018 of 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Wrong. I can absolutely guarantee you that lots of people consider that the greatest team of all time, and I will wager any amount of money you like that thousands upon thousands of people don't consider the undefeated Dolphins team to be the greatest of all time.

No true NFL fan would consider the 2007 Patriots as a GOAT nor the 72 Dolphins unless you're a homer for either team. Best NFL teams of all time usually start with the 85 Bears.
post #25019 of 27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Facts as justification = modern analytics. For me, there was no more dominant team than the '85 Bears.

I take your point, although what I was pointing out that the supposed "fact" is obviously false and is premised on the notion that "because I think X it's absolutely impossible that anyone else could think not-X".
Dem Bears were certainly one of the most dominant teams I've ever seen as well, but there obviously have been decades of teams I've never seen outside of brief highlight films and the like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmade View Post

No true NFL fan would consider the 2007 Patriots as a GOAT nor the 72 Dolphins unless you're a homer for either team. Best NFL teams of all time usually start with the 85 Bears.

post #25020 of 27226
86 Bears actually allowed fewer points than their historic 85 counter-part. I always liked that stat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread