or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1531

post #22951 of 27247
marc stein's been saying this all year. i'm also of the opinion that they're making a mountain out of a molehill

How many more years til the sixers have more wins than losses? If they get Dangelo Russell I think at least two or three. Hopefully by the time Dario Saric is ready
Edited by indesertum - 6/18/15 at 6:22pm
post #22952 of 27247
Thread Starter 
Clips got a new look.







post #22953 of 27247
Makes sense - washing themselves of the vestiges of the Donald Sterling era
post #22954 of 27247
kinda ugly
post #22955 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

kinda ugly

Kinda! I was going to mention this when it came out. It's just lame in every sense… boring, uninspiring, etc. A bit of a side note, but if you did a Jay Leno-esque "Jaywalking" deal on the streets I'd really be curious to know how many people even know what the "Clippers" and "Lakers" even mean. Maybe they should just combine the two and then they could have a really cool logo of a huge sailing ship on some majestic lake in the mountains. Yeah.
post #22956 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

kinda ugly


beats the wizards "cock-and-balls" motif. look closely. it even spells "dic"

post #22957 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

Kinda! I was going to mention this when it came out. It's just lame in every sense… boring, uninspiring, etc. A bit of a side note, but if you did a Jay Leno-esque "Jaywalking" deal on the streets I'd really be curious to know how many people even know what the "Clippers" and "Lakers" even mean. Maybe they should just combine the two and then they could have a really cool logo of a huge sailing ship on some majestic lake in the mountains. Yeah.

yeah boring is how i would put it

reminded me of this ted talk
post #22958 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

yeah boring is how i would put it

reminded me of this ted talk

That was great… so true. satisfied.gif
post #22959 of 27247
Rebranding... just an excuse to con the faithful into buying new gear.
post #22960 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFacconable View Post

I feel like you guys arguing for Lebron as MVP are turning this MVP award into an oscar or grammy for most outstanding performance in a losing effort. It's 2015 and most people understand that series MVP means most valuable player to the winner of the series. You guys have great points but no matter how hard you argue that the world should work the way you want it to, that's not the way it currently works. Maybe in the future public sentiment will change - perhaps this series will cause it to happen, I don't know.

I do think that Lebron's performance is both underappreciated in some ways and overrated in others. The fact that he was able to compile such big numbers isn't actually that impressive to me. He dominated the ball and didn't play defense. His team was so bad without him that he really couldn't come out. For me the most impressive thing is that he was able to compete at such a high level despite obvious signs of fatigue and nagging injuries. The fact that there are assclowns like Skip Bayless making a living questioning Lebron is ridiculous. I'm not sure there was any other way for Cleveland to win other than Lebron doing what he did, but he would have had to have been a lot more successful at it - his true shooting was just 48% - same as he did the rest of the playoffs. I don't think his shooting suffered because his usage went up either - that's just his game right now. His true shooting was 53% against Boston and 46% against the Bulls. When Bron is playing well his TS is above 60%. In last year's finals when he got swept, he still shot 57% with a TS of 68%. No one wanted to give him the Finals MVP last year.
I don't care about the MVP, but simply asserting without support that "most people understand" it to mean what you think it should mean is weak tea. If anything, the conversation here illustrates there is no universal consenus on the point. That's a scientific fact.
post #22961 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I don't care about the MVP, but simply asserting without support that "most people understand" it to mean what you think it should mean is weak tea. If anything, the conversation here illustrates there is no universal consenus on the point. That's a scientific fact.

Of course there's no universal consensus but I think this particular conversation illustrates a vocal minority rather than a genuine reflection of the collective opinion. I think if you had asked people before the series - many of the people now arguing for Lebron would have said the MVP must be from the winner. Many of the people now arguing for Lebron are either Cleveland fans or contrarians. Most people aren't getting involved in this conversation at all because they understand the MVP goes to a champion and there's nothing to discuss. By the way, I would concede the debate is much livelier with respect to regular season MVPs and whether they must come from playoff teams, for example.
post #22962 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFacconable View Post

Of course there's no universal consensus but I think this particular conversation illustrates a vocal minority rather than a genuine reflection of the collective opinion. I think if you had asked people before the series - many of the people now arguing for Lebron would have said the MVP must be from the winner. Many of the people now arguing for Lebron are either Cleveland fans or contrarians. Most people aren't getting involved in this conversation at all because they understand the MVP goes to a champion and there's nothing to discuss. By the way, I would concede the debate is much livelier with respect to regular season MVPs and whether they must come from playoff teams, for example.
you do a very nice job of presenting your personal opinions as accepted general wisdom. as someone who is neither a cleveland fan nor a contrarian, i thought lbj deserved the mvp because he had one of the greatest single series i've seen in more than 40 years of watching the nba. but, of course, "there's nothing to discuss."
post #22963 of 27247
^^^ exactly what a contrarian would write
post #22964 of 27247
The Finals MVP debate is just another iteration of the argument between the new school and the old school on the meaning of "valuable." The new school is about cold numbers, and equates valuable with wins above replacement. In this view, LeBron is the clear MVP. The old school incorporates the "eye test" and subjective judgments, including team success, into its definition of valuable. This view is equally adamant that LeBron cannot be the MVP. We've seen this debate recently in baseball when the AL MVP came down to Mike Trout or Miguel Cabrera. I'm personally an old-school guy, and think that the voters made the right decision for the Finals MVP, but believe that both positions are defensible.
post #22965 of 27247
interesting stat today: (and again, I'm a dub fan -- my third favorite team after the clips and SA): gsw had a remarkably charmed season. as a team had some of the fewest games missed to injuries and in the playoffs faced four straight teams that were missing their point guards.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread