or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1530

post #22936 of 27340
lol.

saying that lebron james was forced to run the entire offense and thats why he got his crazy numbers is an argument that he SHOULD be the most valuable.
post #22937 of 27340
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

cool but he didn't exist in more than one game until a comfortable lead in 2nd half was established for example game4, Iguadala carried the team in pivotal moments when curry was underperforming, he is deserving. curry james iggy all were somewhat legit choice though and there are arguments for each.
I disagree. Curry blew close games wide open, or rallied the Warriors from a deficit, in every game I watched (I missed game 4). Either by raining death himself, or getting people shots. I do concede that he had lots of stretches where he was quiet, but some of that was doing his job as a PG and letting his teammates get into it.

Iguodala had a remarkable finals, and gave a very consistent effort, but I disagree about him "carrying the team" other than defensively. There were times that his scoring helped the Warriors pulled away, but those were mostly shots created for him by someone else, sometimes Curry
post #22938 of 27340
I don't think anyone is disputing that iguodola and curry both had a good series -- iguodola steadier, curry better but not as steady. but still think lbj deserved the mvp. as long as the award means either best player on the floor, or the player who meant the most to his team. if the award just means the best player on the winning team, then either iggy or curry deserve it..
post #22939 of 27340
I'm thinking about heading to the "parade of Champions" (as they are calling it) tomorrow. I don't usually go to this sort of thing. But as a former season ticket holder who went through way too many loosing seasons, this is very special.
post #22940 of 27340
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

I don't think anyone is disputing that iguodola and curry both had a good series -- iguodola steadier, curry better but not as steady. but still think lbj deserved the mvp. as long as the award means either best player on the floor, or the player who meant the most to his team. if the award just means the best player on the winning team, then either iggy or curry deserve it..

If it was for the best player on the winning team, Iguodala wasn't even that. They've cheapened the award giving it to him, not that it wasn't pretty meaningless already.
post #22941 of 27340
Obviously it's for the best player on the winning team only time it was otherwise it was with Jerry West who dominated and was by far the best player. LBJ was miles ahead of everyone that's why he got votes. If he wouldn't be a lvl above everyone else he wouldn't be considered.
post #22942 of 27340
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusW View Post

I'm thinking about heading to the "parade of Champions" (as they are calling it) tomorrow. I don't usually go to this sort of thing. But as a former season ticket holder who went through way too many loosing seasons, this is very special.

i'm so happy for the all the long time warriors fans. love to see them finally rewarded

shawn marion retired

i wonder what his pump fake looks like
Edited by indesertum - 6/18/15 at 3:52pm
post #22943 of 27340
I feel like you guys arguing for Lebron as MVP are turning this MVP award into an oscar or grammy for most outstanding performance in a losing effort. It's 2015 and most people understand that series MVP means most valuable player to the winner of the series. You guys have great points but no matter how hard you argue that the world should work the way you want it to, that's not the way it currently works. Maybe in the future public sentiment will change - perhaps this series will cause it to happen, I don't know.

I do think that Lebron's performance is both underappreciated in some ways and overrated in others. The fact that he was able to compile such big numbers isn't actually that impressive to me. He dominated the ball and didn't play defense. His team was so bad without him that he really couldn't come out. For me the most impressive thing is that he was able to compete at such a high level despite obvious signs of fatigue and nagging injuries. The fact that there are assclowns like Skip Bayless making a living questioning Lebron is ridiculous. I'm not sure there was any other way for Cleveland to win other than Lebron doing what he did, but he would have had to have been a lot more successful at it - his true shooting was just 48% - same as he did the rest of the playoffs. I don't think his shooting suffered because his usage went up either - that's just his game right now. His true shooting was 53% against Boston and 46% against the Bulls. When Bron is playing well his TS is above 60%. In last year's finals when he got swept, he still shot 57% with a TS of 68%. No one wanted to give him the Finals MVP last year.
post #22944 of 27340
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFacconable View Post

I feel like you guys arguing for Lebron as MVP are turning this MVP award into an oscar or grammy for most outstanding performance in a losing effort. It's 2015 and most people understand that series MVP means most valuable player to the winner of the series. You guys have great points but no matter how hard you argue that the world should work the way you want it to, that's not the way it currently works. Maybe in the future public sentiment will change - perhaps this series will cause it to happen, I don't know.

I do think that Lebron's performance is both underappreciated in some ways and overrated in others. The fact that he was able to compile such big numbers isn't actually that impressive to me. He dominated the ball and didn't play defense. His team was so bad without him that he really couldn't come out. For me the most impressive thing is that he was able to compete at such a high level despite obvious signs of fatigue and nagging injuries. The fact that there are assclowns like Skip Bayless making a living questioning Lebron is ridiculous. I'm not sure there was any other way for Cleveland to win other than Lebron doing what he did, but he would have had to have been a lot more successful at it - his true shooting was just 48% - same as he did the rest of the playoffs. I don't think his shooting suffered because his usage went up either - that's just his game right now. His true shooting was 53% against Boston and 46% against the Bulls. When Bron is playing well his TS is above 60%. In last year's finals when he got swept, he still shot 57% with a TS of 68%. No one wanted to give him the Finals MVP last year.

Perhaps, but if we are going down these populist rabbit holes, wouldn't the Most Valuable Player in a series be the person that makes the series the best show? In this case where would the series have gone if Lebron was not there? The Oscar goes to a 4-0 sweep.
post #22945 of 27340
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFacconable View Post

I feel like you guys arguing for Lebron as MVP are turning this MVP award into an oscar or grammy for most outstanding performance in a losing effort. It's 2015 and most people understand that series MVP means most valuable player to the winner of the series. You guys have great points but no matter how hard you argue that the world should work the way you want it to, that's not the way it currently works. Maybe in the future public sentiment will change - perhaps this series will cause it to happen, I don't know.

Isn't that the whole point though? People are arguing because they don't like the current system. It gets into a circular argument to say that the current system does it this way so this is the right outcome under the current system.


Quote:
When Bron is playing well his TS is above 60%. In last year's finals when he got swept, he still shot 57% with a TS of 68%. No one wanted to give him the Finals MVP last year.

When did TS become the ultimate metric of performance? The Heat had way more offensive options, so Lebron could shoot fewer shots and get that higher %. He wasn't in the MVP race because nobody watched those games and said "Holy shit, Lebron is the only reason this team isn't losing by 50."
post #22946 of 27340
Marc Stein's latest Cavs blurb perfectly encapsulates LeBron's hold on the organization -- for better or worse.


Game 5 against GSW with the series tied, Blatt draws up a play during the third quarter. LBJ shook his head. Blatt looked up and asked "No? Okay.". Blatt, in front of his whole team, wiped the board clean and drew up something else.
post #22947 of 27340
what else is the assistant coach supposed to tell the head coach
post #22948 of 27340
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

what else is the assistant coach supposed to tell the head coach

I've heard people call him much worse. "Glorified cheerleader" gets thrown a lot.
post #22949 of 27340
i think he's a great coach even if he has to defer to lebron. the adjustments they made i thought were pretty good.
post #22950 of 27340
See, enough people paint Lebron as an egotistic asshole that I'm willing to believe that where there's smoke, there's fire. But that blurb in itself doesn't mean anything. I lead a pretty sizeable organization and I let my subordinates push back or "overrule" me on critical decisions many times. The flip side of that anecdote is that you've got to trust your guys when they're seeing something you're not.

Plus I don't trust news reporters to not spin a story in the way they think will get the most attention
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread