Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1391

post #20851 of 27825
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

why are you so fucking retarded? he's averaging 7 and 7 this season because he only just got the starting job. if anything you should look at per 36 minutes not retarded fantasy stats. he's a fantasy stud btw and within top 40.

dude literally changes offensive schemes by himself because nobody can get in the paint with him there. opponent fgp when he's protecting rim is like 40% which is ridiculous. on the offensive end you just have throw a ball somewhere in the vicinity of the hoop and he can dunk it if he's in the slot. he's one of tallest dudes in the nba right now and you just can't out rebound the dude. he's also not sim bhullar and dude is actually very agile. on the pick and roll just by him rolling defenders get sucked in to bump in and with his passing abilities he can see the open guys and hit them with the ball

he clearly can't get the max now because he has two more years on his contract, but i can guarantee that in two years when they make him an extension it will be max level.


he's already a vastly greater defensive player than dwight howard in his second year


So he's produced a few good games, big fucking deal. If he was such a rock star he'd have been a starter long before now. It's flavor of the month. He may pan out, but that list is a demonstration that he may not.
post #20852 of 27825
the classic "if he's actually good he would've been good before too" argument. he's been a per 36 stud this year. it's not just a few games here and there. you don't think players can change and develop? if he's only averaged 7 and 7 for the year of course he's going to stay that way his whole life right?

that list is a demonstration of how judging a player by counting stats is completely retarded. he's getting max as long as there aren't grave injuries that occur in the next 2 years
post #20853 of 27825
lurker[1].gif
post #20854 of 27825
He's also named Rudy, which is the best sports first name in history. Although movie Rudy ended up as an incompetent but lucky hobbit who was secretly gay for his traveling companion
post #20855 of 27825
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

the classic "if he's actually good he would've been good before too" argument. he's been a per 36 stud this year. it's not just a few games here and there. you don't think players can change and develop? if he's only averaged 7 and 7 for the year of course he's going to stay that way his whole life right?

that list is a demonstration of how judging a player by counting stats is completely retarded. he's getting max as long as there aren't grave injuries that occur in the next 2 years

On the flip side, you have Jeremy Lin. Wonder what his PER was back when. Finish reading what I read before you spaz again, I said in my last post he may pan out.
post #20856 of 27825
idfnl is the SF NBA Threk's patent troll,

except he's never created any patents and more emphasis on the troll.
post #20857 of 27825
fittingly gobert has an article dedicated to him today on grantland

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/french-lessons-rudy-gobert-is-making-utah-an-elite-defensive-team/



it's a one man wall near the rim. league best defense since kanter was traded

"On Tuesday night, Marc Gasol and Kosta Koufos combined to go 9-for-25 from the field. On Saturday, the Bucks’ centers made 3 of 16 shots. In the San Antonio game, Tim Duncan, Aron Baynes, and Tiago Splitter shot 10-for-24. In the Portland win, LaMarcus Aldridge, Robin Lopez, Meyers Leonard, and Chris Kaman combined to shoot 10-of-32."

i though opponent fgp was low 40s, but it's actually 38%. as in people only shoot 38% when he's near them. best in the league




the "jeremy lin had high PER and he sucks now so the PER argument is meaningless" argument. lol
post #20858 of 27825
was anyone here a big fan of the nba blog freedarko?? you'd have to be a huge basketball nerd like me. they were something of a basketball prose-based blog, not one of analysis, but instead commenting on the conceptual basis of the game and its players, and their cultural elements. honestly it's bar none the smartest shit i've read in relation to sports ever. the main writer was bethelem shoals, who still writes about the nba, and takes it on from an abstract, romantic perspective. one of their guest contributors was named "billups" and was anonymous, posted infrequently, and was probably the most popular, with a very specific and raw style.

Sooooooo i just found out that billups is chris ryan, who's been working for grantland, editing and commenting on the nba, film, tv, and the nfl. w/o knowing this, i'd already loved chris ryan from grantland. i honestly think the man is a genius, and his humor is incredible, and he has that colbert quality during interviews where everything he says is super sharp and quick. anyways, this is just blowing my mind.

here's an excerpt from billups re: andre iguodala, written in 2007 on deadspin
Quote:
You think when Bob Horry is sitting in his rec room watching his own highlight reel in his underwear with a clothespin clamped to his nipple ...do you think he feels a sense of completion and peace that Charles Barkley lacks? That Patrick Ewing can't fathom?

Nobody's called me Sauron since about 3 a.m. this morning, but I can say this with about as much confidence as the next hobo: NBA championship rings are not forged in Middle Earth. They do not grant special powers. Robert Horry's memories of bodying the Pacers in 2003 are no more palpable than your recollections of making out with some girl named Jenny in 2003. In fact, depending on the amount of Northern Lights Bob smokes, you might be more in touch with your past than he is!

Be that as it may, Horry is probably the envy of his peers. He's got what all card-carrying members of the Players Association long for: Time and time again, after years of racking up personal accolades, players decide that the light at the end of the tunnel is either the shining glory of a championship or an Acela express headed to Dr Phil's or John Lucas' rehab spot.

Basketball is fucking stupid because the season is too long to drum up any ANY GIVEN SUNDAY/TWO SKYNET ROBOTS GO AT IT/DRINK PEPSI/GOD THAT GUY SOUNDS JUST LIKE JOHN MADDEN excitement like the NFL does; and it's too short to give boners to cats like Roger Angell who like thinking about the way grass smells.

But every year—whether it's Gary Payton, Scottie Pippen, Karl Malone—players go running to Dallas or LA or Miami in search of jewelry the way Bubbles hit Hamsterdam looking for that WMD. And why? So Jim Gray could ask them what was going through their mind? So they could say they took a giant crap on their opponent?

Not to get all Philip K. Mindblower here, but winning is more or less an Institutional State Apparatus (I went to college) ... I think (I didn't finish), promoted as the pot 'o gold at the end of the journey where you take 'em one game at a time because it's easy to get up in the morning and look at the box score and see the Celtics won or lost and decide whether or not you're happy or not with being a human. Fuck that.

This year, I'm giving up on giving a shit about winning. And Andre Iguodala is going to get me straight.

Philly already lives and dies with the fortunes of the Eagles. When the Birds win, it's like the bongo rave orgy in The Matrix. And when they lose it's like a living breathing Flemish painting complete with domestic violence, rivers of Yuengling and the imposition of mob rule where bands of men in throwbacks scavenge the roads for gasoline and the masses pray to an unseen pagan idol named Howard Eskin.

So under the cover of apathy the Sixers are free to find the meaning in between W and L; and AI vers. 2.0 is the Shackleton of that gray area.

Iguodala is like a YouTube clip that eats and plays Wii. Will he be a folk hero like Iverson? Fuck no. But he will be Richard Jefferson if Richard Jefferson didn't always look like he just listened to the first Sunny Day Real Estate record. Which means he could be a second tier Joe Johnson. Which is really all I want from a player.

On both sides of the ball the action starts in the overture; you can see the storm clouds gathering with Andre; you can hear the opening theme of The Untouchables playing. And when he gets the pill he switches to thermal and goes hunting.

He is dazzling on the break; keeps his cool when shit gets deeper; can play four positions as well as anyone on the team. He's basically a worse version of LeBron without the Sprite commercials.

Dig it: The end is not the end, people. 82-0? 41-41? Two inches or a yard, rock hard or if it's sagging: sit back in the Billy Beane-bag and get hip to this fact: In this here city game , the poetry is scribbled in the margins. You should check for Iguodala because even if he isn't the number one pick to sell bubble gum or property in Arkansas, he's pretty much the best reason to get the NBA Season Pass. Love the game. Don't worry about the rings.
post #20859 of 27825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersport View Post

was anyone here a big fan of the nba blog freedarko?? you'd have to be a huge basketball nerd like me. they were something of a basketball prose-based blog, not one of analysis, but instead commenting on the conceptual basis of the game and its players, and their cultural elements. honestly it's bar none the smartest shit i've read in relation to sports ever. the main writer was bethelem shoals, who still writes about the nba, and takes it on from an abstract, romantic perspective. one of their guest contributors was named "billups" and was anonymous, posted infrequently, and was probably the most popular, with a very specific and raw style.

Sooooooo i just found out that billups is chris ryan, who's been working for grantland, editing and commenting on the nba, film, tv, and the nfl. w/o knowing this, i'd already loved chris ryan from grantland. i honestly think the man is a genius, and his humor is incredible, and he has that colbert quality during interviews where everything he says is super sharp and quick. anyways, this is just blowing my mind.

here's an excerpt from billups re: andre iguodala, written in 2007 on deadspin

Freedarko was awesome. He put out a book at some point, no?
post #20860 of 27825



parody of
post #20861 of 27825
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Freedarko was awesome. He put out a book at some point, no?
yessssss. they actually put out two books, both wonderful and beautifully illustrated

their 1st one was a collection of profiles, sort of, of the best and most idiosyncratic players back then (2008)
http://www.amazon.com/FreeDarko-Presents-Macrophenomenal-Basketball-Almanac/dp/1596915617
i wish i could excerpt some of them, esp the tragic tracy mcgrady one, but they were/are incredible to read.

their 2nd (and last) was a history of organized basketball. it came out around the same time as simmons' book
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1608190838/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687442&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1596915617&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SWPXM7EVK19EDG644EQ
post #20862 of 27825
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

idfnl is the SF NBA Threk's patent troll,

except he's never created any patents and more emphasis on the troll.

No patents. rimshot.gif

Just Neo's stupid joke left to post. Any time now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

the "jeremy lin had high PER and he sucks now so the PER argument is meaningless" argument. lol

Lin demonstrated that a few good games does not a payout make. Try and grasp the obvious, it's called an "example".

In Brothersport and your max worlds, you'd still be trying to trade away the Lin max deal based on his run (like Houston did to LA!). Could be a breakout, could be shit. Suddenly the stats start flying. Someone post the Grantland Lin chart and get the max contract from the copier. Sign while paper's still warm.

One only need look back at how easily people are convinced and you should quickly curb your enthusiasm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

I disagree about Lin, I think he has shown the mental toughness to succeed in the league. Yes it was only 25 games but people act like all sorts of mediocre players regularly have 25 game stretches where they average a double/double and drop 30+ on the Lakers and Mavericks and take a team of backups to a huge winning streak[....]

Edited by idfnl - 3/4/15 at 6:10pm
post #20863 of 27825
This bad lakers team is so much more better looking without kobe: more activity away from the ball, more transition plays, etc. I can't imagine anyone wanting to play with the black hole

!whiteside! The ball gobbler
post #20864 of 27825
My man Russ with his 4th straight triple-double. Dude is making a huge push for MVP down the stretch.
post #20865 of 27825
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

No patents. rimshot.gif

Just Neo's stupid joke left to post. Any time now.
Lin demonstrated that a few good games does not a payout make. Try and grasp the obvious, it's called an "example".

In Brothersport and your max worlds, you'd still be trying to trade away the Lin max deal based on his run (like Houston did to LA!). Could be a breakout, could be shit. Suddenly the stats start flying. Someone post the Grantland Lin chart and get the max contract from the copier. Sign while paper's still warm.

One only need look back at how easily people are convinced and you should quickly curb your enthusiasm.
god you're so dumb it's so amusing. 1st, lin has nowhere near a max contract, so what on earth are you talking about. 2nd, every time you post something dumb and someone refutes it w/ logic, data, and numerous examples, you reply in generalities, with one example, or just ignore it altogether. then when someone asks you for more legit examples, you complain that it's not worth the time to research since no one will take you seriously. OH I WONDER WHY

still waiting for you to make sense of the fact that you would willingly lose steph curry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread