or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1359

post #20371 of 27206
yea i stopped listening to jalen and jacoby awhile ago too. too much material, and i don't buy jalen's analysis at all. simmons and lowe for me really hits a sweet spot of analysis, front office rumors and stuff, and levity. i get what you mean about nba after dark, i don't think i could do it if they did a weekly podcast. chris ryan might be the funniest person ever though, i love listening to him and greenwald on hollywood prospectus and i usually don't even watch the shows/movies they're talking about.

i think lowe knows he's really serious, which is why he emphasizes that he loves mascots and uniforms and court designs and all that stuff, but he's just naturally not a funny guy, nothing wrong w/ that, it's just different.

i'm not a religious viewer of the starters, but i've listened to their stuff on and off for several years now and i'm a big fan. i know they moved down to atlanta for the show and it'd be awesome to bump into them around town at some point
post #20372 of 27206

You down 20, homey.

 

 

post #20373 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post

 



¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If you say so, although all your posts starting with "if I was GM" or some variation of it seem to suggest otherwise...


If I was the pope, if I was the president... it's a figure of speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post

You're writing off an entire methodology of building a championship-caliber team as wasteful of money (which is debatable to begin with).  In fact, you're writing off the strategy that the Lakers used to win 10 championships since Jerry Buss bought the team in 1979.  I don't have to tell you that the Lakers are also one of the most profitable franchises in the NBA, right?

There's obviously no universally superior strategy to running a team, but the fact that you're so hellbent on penny-pinching while completely turning a blind eye to the success that big spending has brought about (Showtime Lakers, Heatles, late 90's Bulls...Hell, MJ alone made $33 mil during the '97-'98 season, which was more than the salary cap at the time) is nothing short of willful ignorance on your part.

Anyway...I thought this was a cool article on BR today.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/MirrorImages/

I don't believe any NBA team loses money. I'd happily max a guy that deserves it, it's just that there are not many that do in my view. Of the 4 teams over the cap right now, 2 are competitive (OKC and CLE), the other 2? BKN and NYK. The team with the most cap space are ATL and PHX, both competitive teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post

You down 20, homey.

That vid is fantastic. He's such a twat.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersport View Post

but he's just naturally not a funny guy, nothing wrong w/ that, it's just different.

Credit to the people that recognize this about themselves.
post #20374 of 27206
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

Is Paul George coming back? What's the story?


Not this year but I just see them moving up while the Nets will likely deal Williams and Lopez by the deadline and give up all hope for a playoff appearance. Detroit was only on a streak because of Jennings and now that he is out then the team is done too.

The Pacers are only 2 games behind the 8th seed and in a less than stellar Eastern conference, I think they can pull it off.
post #20375 of 27206
Hmmm....I haven't been following them admittedly but I thought they were in full-on tank mode. You want to talk about window closing, that Pacer team might be it.
post #20376 of 27206
Thread Starter 
Outside of David West getting old, I don't know if that is true. Paul George is still very young and hasn't hit his prime yet so they can build around him easily. Hibbert plays back to his all-star shape (enough as a trade bait at least?) and Hill is still 28 and should be a serviceable PG for a few more years so they got some solid pieces there.

I think they'll be fine.
post #20377 of 27206
there are rumors that paul george is gonna be back sometime in march. i doubt it happens unless they can reach the playoffs really easily, i think simmons and lowe said the same? but at the same time, a broken leg is not some giant injury, it's way preferable to a torn knee ligament, unless you're a huge football lineman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Credit to the people that recognize this about themselves.
you must be reallllllly proud of this one, you even attempted to make a joke! your "jokes" are like shaq's dwight criticisms.

btw if anyone still isn't convinced that idnfl is a troll, this is the guy who, a page ago, somehow defended his own logic to the point where he argued that Donald Sterling, who self-sabotaged his team for 3 decades a) ran a business well, and b) contributed to winning by refusing to overpay players.
post #20378 of 27206
True but I'm more concerned for Hibbert and West (who is very integral not only for on the court but off the court leadership as well). Their bench is pretty bad too...almost Clips bad if not worse. They will be competitive but I don't see them getting a chip in the next 3-4 years.
post #20379 of 27206
Thread Starter 
I think it's time to heed your own advice lol8[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersport View Post

ugh why do yall bother
post #20380 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

Outside of David West getting old, I don't know if that is true. Paul George is still very young and hasn't hit his prime yet so they can build around him easily. Hibbert plays back to his all-star shape (enough as a trade bait at least?) and Hill is still 28 and should be a serviceable PG for a few more years so they got some solid pieces there.

I think they'll be fine.
im not so sure. zach lowe hammered this home when pg got injured, but hibbert is just a bizarre player and nowhere near all star level (who makes 15 mil), george hill has probably maxed out his talent and is a significantly below-average point guard (who makes 8 mil), and they reallllly don't have anyone else on that team. they'd def be a playoff team but i don't see any circumstance where they upgrade to be a championship contender, probably not even an east contender. not like indy's gonna get a ton of free agent buzz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

I think it's time to heed your own advice lol8[1].gif
oh goddamnit now i'm the cat in the box
post #20381 of 27206
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

True but I'm more concerned for Hibbert and West (who is very integral not only for on the court but off the court leadership as well). Their bench is pretty bad too...almost Clips bad if not worse. They will be competitive but I don't see them getting a chip in the next 3-4 years.


Oh yeah, definitely not championship caliber but in the East they can easily make it to 4th-5th seed when healthy.

I am still not sure what the hell happened to Hibbert to be honest. Dude came from being a beast to averaging close to zero rebounds for a stretch there.



Posted practically the same above before I read this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersport View Post

im not so sure. zach lowe hammered this home when pg got injured, but hibbert is just a bizarre player and nowhere near all star level (who makes 15 mil), george hill has probably maxed out his talent and is a significantly below-average point guard (who makes 8 mil), and they reallllly don't have anyone else on that team. they'd def be a playoff team but i don't see any circumstance where they upgrade to be a championship contender, probably not even an east contender. not like indy's gonna get a ton of free agent buzz.


Not a championship contender for sure but they did get far with that roster, there were definite struggles there but also, George hasn't peaked yet.


I also never said Hill is a great PG, I used "serviceable" as a description for a reason. lol8[1].gif
post #20382 of 27206
yea they def could. i (maybe neo too?) was defining window as chip contender, which they totally were literally just 12 months ago. what a weird and utterly disastrous year it's been for them.

hibbert is such a bizarre player. look at the inconsistency here over his last month! it's just all over the place.
post #20383 of 27206
Yeah, the unfortunate thing with NBA is unlike NFL, there is hardly any parity. Let's be real, 8th 7th 6th 5th 4th seed won't get you anywhere. It's championship or bust.

Sadly, Pacers and Bulls will be a mere footnote to the Heat Big 3 era unless they can win a chip of their own in the foreseeable future.
post #20384 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersport View Post

you must be reallllllly proud of this one, you even attempted to make a joke!

Just the irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersport View Post

btw if anyone still isn't convinced that idnfl is a troll, this is the guy who, a page ago, somehow defended his own logic to the point where he argued that Donald Sterling, who self-sabotaged his team for 3 decades a) ran a business well, and b) contributed to winning by refusing to overpay players.

How convoluted. Look brainiac, businesses are designed to makes a profit. Donald Sterling made a profit. He succeeded in the business of NBA. His team's success on the court is irrelevant in that context. I never equated profit and team performance, you have. Don't be dense.
post #20385 of 27206
i didn't realize there was a chance PG would be back, if he did, then i think they'd get the 8th seed as long as he actually played well and often. Hibbert seems to be a weak willed guy who is a beast when he's mentally on, but you can get into his head, frustrate him into uselessness, etc.

reading you guys discuss the Clippers, i'm struck by the parallel between Bledsoe and James Harden. both very dynamic and highly regarded bench players that would need to get paid to stay on the team, but management prioritized locking up a big defensive monster (DeAndre, Ibaka). the major difference, of course, is that Bledsoe isn't as good as Harden, and you could still make an argument that keeping DJ over Bledsoe was a good idea.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread