Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1358

post #20356 of 27608
i like simmons' basketball podcasts w/ zach lowe a lot. you can tell simmons watches a ton of basketball, and the one difference-making quality he has as an analyst is that he is never afraid to criticize teams. simmons can get frustrating to listen to sometimes because of his leading questions, and a lot of the time he has a theory fleshed out and is only looking to get confirmation for it from his guest. that's evened out well when he has lowe on, who has never in his life only given one side of a situation.

zach lowe's low post podcasts kind of annoy me sometimes. as a host, he always wants to have a discussion w/ the guests, which can get complicated w/ the delay when talking over the phone. i think it works best face-to-face (i.e. no interruptions) or if you just ask questions and let the guest speak, like a normal interview. it's weird to me to have van gundy on as a guest twice a year and then take up 40% of the time w/ your own voice. it's a different case in simmons/lowe podcasts, where it happens much more frequently, so it can be more of a conversation.

lowe also wants to cover all the bases all the time, which is what i think you're getting at, neo. he takes forever to ask any question. i actually have the same problem w/ jon stewart. ugh, just finish the question already!
post #20357 of 27608
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

Oh yeah Clips is bad both years but this years definitely worse and that is considering 2 years ago they had the best bench in the league before Bledsoe was traded (queue Brothersport w/ "Docs a bad GM post"). This years bench looks even worse because Hawes is suppose to be the "saviour" bench signing but I even miss Ryan "poormans Javale Mcgee" Hollins' defense off the bench.

It's a give or take I guess because with VDN, the Clips bench was #1 but the starters were #12 in the league in 12-13 season. When Doc arrived and he traded Bledsoe for Redick, the bench went down to #25 but the starters jumped to being #1 in 13-14 season.
hey man, all i know is that yesterday i only watched the 2nd quarter of lac-okc and i saw turkoglu literally take a handoff and immediately dribble it off his own leg for an okc fast break, and then big baby got bumped in the back by white collison while not paying attention during a rebound and immediately screamed and crumpled to the ground and flop over like a dropped sack of old donuts in the wind lol8[1].gif
post #20358 of 27608
^ Haha exactly, I thought it was just me. With Bill -- when he makes outrageous statements -- you can tell it's somewhat tongue-in-cheek knowing that at the end of the day, the media and analysts AKA Grantland can't predict the future. Lowe just comes off as taking things waaaaay too seriously. As in-depth as his articles are, they bore me after a while. The NFL guys on Grantland are good, I think. They do a good job having fun with the content while tackling the Xs and Os.
post #20359 of 27608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersport View Post

i like simmons' basketball podcasts w/ zach lowe a lot. you can tell simmons watches a ton of basketball, and the one difference-making quality he has as an analyst is that he is never afraid to criticize teams. simmons can get frustrating to listen to sometimes because of his leading questions, and a lot of the time he has a theory fleshed out and is only looking to get confirmation for it from his guest. that's evened out well when he has lowe on, who has never in his life only given one side of a situation.

zach lowe's low post podcasts kind of annoy me sometimes. as a host, he always wants to have a discussion w/ the guests, which can get complicated w/ the delay when talking over the phone. i think it works best face-to-face (i.e. no interruptions) or if you just ask questions and let the guest speak, like a normal interview. it's weird to me to have van gundy on as a guest twice a year and then take up 40% of the time w/ your own voice. it's a different case in simmons/lowe podcasts, where it happens much more frequently, so it can be more of a conversation.

lowe also wants to cover all the bases all the time, which is what i think you're getting at, neo. he takes forever to ask any question. i actually have the same problem w/ jon stewart. ugh, just finish the question already!

They do the best when they're together. I agree, Lowe does digress on his own show.

I rather like the Simmons interview, he asks questions I want to know the answer to.

The Jalen and Jacoby pod needs work. Jacoby especially, he just seems to kiss Jalen's ass the whole show.
post #20360 of 27608
I didn't see much discussion on this, but last week, the Nets beat the Knicks in a game with playoff implications. Since the Nets are now 3-0 against the Knicks, they have clinched the regular season four-game series. That means in the event the Knicks and Nets are tied for the last playoff spot in the East, the Nets automatically get the berth.
post #20361 of 27608
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

Oh yeah Clips is bad both years but this years definitely worse and that is considering 2 years ago they had the best bench in the league before Bledsoe was traded (queue Brothersport w/ "Docs a bad GM post"). This years bench looks even worse because Hawes is suppose to be the "saviour" bench signing but I even miss Ryan "poormans Javale Mcgee" Hollins' defense off the bench.

It's a give or take I guess because with VDN, the Clips bench was #1 but the starters were #12 in the league in 12-13 season. When Doc arrived and he traded Bledsoe for Redick, the bench went down to #25 but the starters jumped to being #1 in 13-14 season.

that's crazy. i remember thinking clippers bench is pretty awesome if only they had a better coach. well they got the better coach and now im wishing they had a better bench
post #20362 of 27608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersport View Post

i like simmons' basketball podcasts w/ zach lowe a lot. you can tell simmons watches a ton of basketball, and the one difference-making quality he has as an analyst is that he is never afraid to criticize teams. simmons can get frustrating to listen to sometimes because of his leading questions, and a lot of the time he has a theory fleshed out and is only looking to get confirmation for it from his guest. that's evened out well when he has lowe on, who has never in his life only given one side of a situation.

zach lowe's low post podcasts kind of annoy me sometimes. as a host, he always wants to have a discussion w/ the guests, which can get complicated w/ the delay when talking over the phone. i think it works best face-to-face (i.e. no interruptions) or if you just ask questions and let the guest speak, like a normal interview. it's weird to me to have van gundy on as a guest twice a year and then take up 40% of the time w/ your own voice. it's a different case in simmons/lowe podcasts, where it happens much more frequently, so it can be more of a conversation.

lowe also wants to cover all the bases all the time, which is what i think you're getting at, neo. he takes forever to ask any question. i actually have the same problem w/ jon stewart. ugh, just finish the question already!

that's so true about simmons. but the leading questions is kind of endearing. it makes him seem more like a homer than an actual analyst only he gets paid a lot more than your regular homer.
post #20363 of 27608
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

I didn't see much discussion on this, but last week, the Nets beat the Knicks in a game with playoff implications. Since the Nets are now 3-0 against the Knicks, they have clinched the regular season four-game series. That means in the event the Knicks and Nets are tied for the last playoff spot in the East, the Nets automatically get the berth.

its because nobody cares about the knicks or nets now.


i remember when prokorov bought the nets for $200 something million (in 2010?) everybody was thinking he overpaid because he's a billionaire. well it turns out nets and the arena is worth like $1.2 billion now if not more. apparently prokorov lost a lot of money because of the oil price drop and thats the bigger reason why he's looking to sell
post #20364 of 27608
Thread Starter 
No way the Knicks are going to be in the playoffs anyways so it doesn't matter.

Surprisingly, the Nets are atcually tied for 8th place with Miami and the Hornets at 7th is only half a game up. Really surprised the Hornets are 7th seed in the East though, really sucks Detroit lost Jennings.
post #20365 of 27608
I think the bottom 2 east seeds are going to be Detroit and Charlotte. Really hoping Miami pulls something out of their ass, and make it in, but also trying to be realistic.
post #20366 of 27608
Thread Starter 
I don't think Detroit will make it unless they grab a steal of a talent from the D-Legaue or something.

I think the Pacers will surpass everyone for the 8th spot while the Hornets stay in the 7th.
post #20367 of 27608
Is Paul George coming back? What's the story?
post #20368 of 27608
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

I have no interest at all in becoming a GM.

 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If you say so, although all your posts starting with "if I was GM" or some variation of it seem to suggest otherwise...

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Part of winning is preventing your team from implosion with bad contracts. And it'll likely happen if you're joining a race to overpay players.

 

You're writing off an entire methodology of building a championship-caliber team as wasteful of money (which is debatable to begin with).  In fact, you're writing off the strategy that the Lakers used to win 10 championships since Jerry Buss bought the team in 1979.  I don't have to tell you that the Lakers are also one of the most profitable franchises in the NBA, right?

 

There's obviously no universally superior strategy to running a team, but the fact that you're so hellbent on penny-pinching while completely turning a blind eye to the success that big spending has brought about (Showtime Lakers, Heatles, late 90's Bulls...Hell, MJ alone made $33 mil during the '97-'98 season, which was more than the salary cap at the time) is nothing short of willful ignorance on your part.

 

Anyway...I thought this was a cool article on BR today.

 

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/MirrorImages/

post #20369 of 27608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

^ Haha exactly, I thought it was just me. With Bill -- when he makes outrageous statements -- you can tell it's somewhat tongue-in-cheek knowing that at the end of the day, the media and analysts AKA Grantland can't predict the future. Lowe just comes off as taking things waaaaay too seriously. As in-depth as his articles are, they bore me after a while. The NFL guys on Grantland are good, I think. They do a good job having fun with the content while tackling the Xs and Os.
yea i know what you mean. zach lowe's definitely not funny...lots of other nba guys are, though, which makes it a lot of fun to follow. i always learn a lot from lowe, but there's not too much levity. netw3rk is still the funniest follow on twitter, "the starters" are fun and irreverent...basketball twitter is a revelation. do you ever listen to the nba after dark podcast? there's no analysis whatsoever, but it's all basketball gossip. it's kinda fun, mainly based on the personalities of the hosts. it's too much sometimes, though.

you mean robert mays and bill barnwell right? i like their rapport, mays seems like a really nice guy. they're both super enthusiastic and barnwell is pretty funny (and super nerdy). i do try to listen to their podcast and count the times they say "there's no doubt" or "oh, 100% percent" or "that's not great" hehe. i used to read barnwell back when he was at football outsiders. there's really not that many funny nfl writers, which is interesting. mike tanier is awesome though.
post #20370 of 27608
^ What I like about Barnwell and Mays is that they're football geeks and they embrace it. Lowe, like I said, comes off like a super serious dude. Almost solemn. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing him though. He's obviously really knowledgeable about bball.

Starters is like bball nerds unleashed. The Australian guy is hilarious!

I kind of stopped listening to NBA AFTER DARK.....I get the appeal but it gets annoying to me after a while. Same with Pop the Trunk which is basically a clown show too at this point.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread