or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1274

post #19096 of 27361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmade View Post

Conspiracy theory. All of the other envelopes, Stern drops in the bowl but the Knicks envelope he throws against the side allegedly denting a corner of the envelope. He uses the dent to identify which envelope to pull out to ensure that the Knicks get Patrick Ewing.
So all those Ewing-era Knicks championships should have an asterisk? wink.gif
post #19097 of 27361
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

We need to burn this village to save it.











How long have Spurs been successful?
Um, the Spurs were built with 2 first overall draft picks -- David Robinson and Timmy D. The Spurs are basically the blueprint for tanking.
post #19098 of 27361
Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post

Um, the Spurs were built with 2 first overall draft picks -- David Robinson and Timmy D. The Spurs are basically the blueprint for tanking.

Um, they never tanked. They just weren't very good.

Robinson? Really? Won his first chip in his 10th season.

Duncan won in his 2nd or 3rd, I forget. In between DR and TD, there were lots of playoff appearances.

Hardly a blueprint to turning your team into a piece of shit on purpose.
post #19099 of 27361
And how do you know they didn't tank on purpose? SA went 21-61 the year before they drafted The Admiral. Tanking has only really become a big topic in recent years, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been around for a long time.

As "dishonorable" as tanking is, the potential of getting the next LeBron or Tim Duncan is too attractive to pass up. Tanking works and teams can hardly be blamed for partaking in it.
post #19100 of 27361
Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post

And how do you know they didn't tank on purpose? SA went 21-61 the year before they drafted The Admiral. Tanking has only really become a big topic in recent years, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been around for a long time.

As "dishonorable" as tanking is, the potential of getting the next LeBron or Tim Duncan is too attractive to pass up. Tanking works and teams can hardly be blamed for partaking in it.

You're making the claim they tanked, prove it.
post #19101 of 27361
Robinson went out with a season ending injury that year before Duncan
post #19102 of 27361
David Robinson got injured the year SA went 21-61 and didn't play most of the year. Rumor was that SA kept him on the IR even though he was healthy the last month of the season to improve their odds of getting Tim since they weren't making the playoffs that year. SA didn't tank like Philly is doing right now which is pretty blatant by trading away all of their NBA caliber players. They more just realized that the season was lost and decided against putting the best team on the court once they were unlikely to make the playoffs.
post #19103 of 27361
Thread Starter 
It is really simple why the Sixers is getting the bad rep of tanking, they practically gave away all their good players and practically all within one season. It looked like they were collecting picks there for a second, I don't recall but didn't they have a stack of like 7-9 draft picks there for a second? It also coincided with what many dubbed one of the deepest draft years there is. Many probably disagrees with that now (the draft year being deep and really talented) but I can't blame people for seeing all those things and putting it all together as suspicious.
post #19104 of 27361
I said prove it and I get rumor.
post #19105 of 27361
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


You're making the claim they tanked, prove it.

That's not the point I'm trying to make.  Maybe my post wasn't worded well.  I'm saying SA is a dynasty now because they got 2 first-overall draft picks within the span of a decade.  Whether they got those picks through tanking or legitimately sucking makes no difference now.  The point is they got the picks and used them well.  Obviously high draft picks are valuable and are key to improving your team.  How a front office goes about acquiring those draft picks is really just splitting hairs, but legitimately sucking takes longer than tanking.  Might as well speed up the process if you have to be bad to get good.  That's what I meant when I said the Spurs are the blueprint for tanking.

 

Anyway, it's impossible to prove some motive from 1989.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Robinson went out with a season ending injury that year before Duncan

Yeah, but once he went down, it's not implausible to think that the team just decided to mail it in for the rest of that season.  Obviously I'm just guessing, but that's what makes sense to me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmade View Post

David Robinson got injured the year SA went 21-61 and didn't play most of the year. Rumor was that SA kept him on the IR even though he was healthy the last month of the season to improve their odds of getting Tim since they weren't making the playoffs that year. SA didn't tank like Philly is doing right now which is pretty blatant by trading away all of their NBA caliber players. They more just realized that the season was lost and decided against putting the best team on the court once they were unlikely to make the playoffs.

That can still be considered tanking if The Admiral was 100% healthy and was held out of games.  Obviously a lesser form of tanking than what Philly is doing now, but still.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

It is really simple why the Sixers is getting the bad rep of tanking, they practically gave away all their good players and practically all within one season. It looked like they were collecting picks there for a second, I don't recall but didn't they have a stack of like 7-9 draft picks there for a second? It also coincided with what many dubbed one of the deepest draft years there is. Many probably disagrees with that now (the draft year being deep and really talented) but I can't blame people for seeing all those things and putting it all together as suspicious.

Nothing is suspicious about that.  They didn't try to hide it.  The Philly front office just thinks this is the easiest way to build a good team (and it basically is since high-profile free agents don't give a shit about coming to Philly).  Until the system is changed, tanking is a legitimate strategy and, honestly, I prefer it to a team being mediocre (too good to get a high draft pick and too bad to make the playoffs) for a prolonged stretch of time.

post #19106 of 27361
Pau : Mirotic :: Rose : Brooks

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif




Now, let's see if Kobe gon go HAM to get those 30 points....actually, you know he ain't passing that ball until he passes MJ
post #19107 of 27361
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post


Nothing is suspicious about that.  They didn't try to hide it.  The Philly front office just thinks this is the easiest way to build a good team (and it basically is since high-profile free agents don't give a shit about coming to Philly).  Until the system is changed, tanking is a legitimate strategy and, honestly, I prefer it to a team being mediocre (too good to get a high draft pick and too bad to make the playoffs) for a prolonged stretch of time.

I used the word suspicious to describe why others would think that way to avoid implying that I am 100% sure (with evidence) that they are indeed tanking. I have not stated which side of the argument I am on (at least i don't think so?) despite my countless jokes and jabs at the Sixers.
post #19108 of 27361
Yeah, I wasn't trying to shove TANKING IS GOOD in your face or anything. Just found your use of the word 'suspicious' interesting. Like, they're not working any loopholes or stuff along those lines, which is what I thought you were getting at with 'suspicious'.
post #19109 of 27361
Thread Starter 
Kobe talking shit must have worked. lol8[1].gif

*knocks on wood*
post #19110 of 27361
First things first,
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread