or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1228

post #18406 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

All game long Barkley was creaming over LeBron and the Cavs. How they are going to win 60 games and are the favorite to win it all. Everytime Cleveland missed, it was because they were pressing, were too excited, new coach/new gameplan etc.( but he did not extend the same courtesy to the Knicks who have a new coach/system and team) Not once did he give credit to the Knicks. Not once did he mention the team ball (31 assists) the Knicks were playing or how good Fisher's second half rotations were or how the Knicks were successfully pushing and trapping Cavs guards to the corners. He did mention that the Knicks would finish close to 15th place this year and he made fun of the triangle when JR hoisted a contested 3 on a out of bounds play with 5 seconds on the clock.

The NBA announcers can suck on LeBrons teat all year long. At the end of the day, the game is played on the court not on paper and the Knicks were the better offensive and defensive team last night, the night that LeBron called the biggest sporting event ever rolleyes.gif

He meant for Cleveland....
But i still find it funny....
post #18407 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

He meant for Cleveland....
But i still find it funny....

I'd give the nod to the mid-80s Browns QB battle between Sipe, McDonald and Kosar.
post #18408 of 27247
Thread Starter 
Russy out 4-6 weeks with a fracture hand.


No Russy no Swaggy P.


Seasons off to a very bad start. censored.gif
post #18409 of 27247
i was impressed with oklahoma city last night. they really hung tight and played solid defense all through, despite having 8 guys on the roster. clippers, on the other hand, look like they're feeling the expectations. they played tight and hesitant. didn't seem to be having fun. they've got their first 7 games at home, so maybe that'll improve. riddick and barnes are stone-cold.
post #18410 of 27247
For edmorel and the rest of the Knicks fans who might want to use it throughout the year:



FgZzC1A.gif
post #18411 of 27247
didn't read the massive wall of flaming from RFX, but you're falling into the media bias for players who score over players who can defend with the talk of "he's only a third option on offense".


late to the party and not a long argument but possibly a rehash and don't want to bring the thread back to flaming hence spoiler Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the way i see it the basic disagreement is that you believe only superstars should get paid max, but the reality is value wise superstars should get paid way more than max. lebron and durant value wise is easily worth twice the max (like $45million a year) and they know it. that's why they think max contracts should not exist

kawhi produces value at a max contract (maybe slightly below it but with positional scarcity definitely max). your "kawhi doesn't produce value at a superstar LBJ/KD level so doesn't deserve max" doesn't acknowledge LBJ/KD is undervalued at max so you end up undervaluing everybody else if they're your standard of max


really enjoyed the OKC game last night. was really praying they won cuz I want to see their young ones develop more. was considering taking perry jones for fantasy but wasn't sure what hole he would fill and roman sniped him (hate you)

knicks game was pretty awesome. really appreciated fish playing all his bench players and giving them all decent minutes a la poppovich (dat quince acy tho). blatt should do that. you need your bench players to have good experience and development so they can play for you come playoff season

the melo bucket over LBJ went ok but kind of a bad shot at crunch time.



"the knicks triangle offense"
post #18412 of 27247
Thread Starter 
Why is it a wall of "flaming" just because I post more than a sarcastic sentence or not do a troll meme response? lol8[1].gif

It's not my fault you guys take it as if I am flaming Kawhi just because I don't deem him worth of a max contract? You guys can't accept others have a different opinion or qualification of why someone deserves max contract? I already said "all business aside" so many times but everyone just keeps ignoring it.

Again I like the kid, dude is practically a hometown hero but to me, he isn't worth that and I am not the only one who thinks that.


And no I am not falling in the media hype of "scorers" over "defenders". I get that he is a great defender, I understand that. I am not just talking about being the third option on offense because he really isn't, Manu and likely even Green probably has more freedom to chuck shots up than Leonard. Kawhi is the third best player in the team overall.
post #18413 of 27247
oh, I get it. Its a Melo isolation (he did that maybe 2-3 times all game) which goes against the triangle system that the Knicks are supposedly running. Funny stuff.

The Melo shot was a baseline jumper from about 12-14 feet, not sure how that is a bad shot, the Cavs were all hanging around the paint in case he drove. Obviously a wide open shot would be better.
post #18414 of 27247
Thread Starter 
Speaking of Kawhi, he decided to test the free agency this summer.
post #18415 of 27247
(Flaming cuz I saw the indesertum jump shot analysis part. Was kidding. So nobody enjoys jump shot mechanics analysis of MKG? You don't say)



I loled. I thought gortats hair was a joke at first but he seems to really like it

(I do think kawhi is the most valuable player on the spurs this season tho)

It wasn't kawhis decision. Spurs decided that. They're going to have to pay max for him next season anyways cuz without kawhi they have no future

I mean if you're talking about money and contracts you can't really say "business aside" cuz the subject matter is business.

(Was I right when I said your argument is basically you don't think kawhi deserves max because other superstar players like KD/LBJ are getting max?)
post #18416 of 27247
There was a point in the 4th quarter when the game was winding down and Charles said "These are the times when Carmelo should be demanding the ball". I was hesitant to agree with him but then again who else would you rather have the ball in crunch time? Lo and behold, few minutes later that he sinks the jumper over LeBron
post #18417 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

oh, I get it. Its a Melo isolation (he did that maybe 2-3 times all game) which goes against the triangle system that the Knicks are supposedly running. Funny stuff.

The Melo shot was a baseline jumper from about 12-14 feet, not sure how that is a bad shot, the Cavs were all hanging around the paint in case he drove. Obviously a wide open shot would be better.

Yeah it was cuz triangle should give him more open shots or at least a shot on the low block but it got none of that and just devolved into woodson era ios at one of the worst spots on the floor
post #18418 of 27247
Injuries have really sucked a lot of excitement out of the early season. OKC is going to be unwatchable, I was really curious to see if Oladipo was going to make a jump but he broke his face, Washington looked interesting but got fucked by Beal's injury....did I miss anything?

Oh, and Wade already tweaked something in his first game out mad.gif
post #18419 of 27247
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Yeah it was cuz triangle should give him more open shots or at least a shot on the low block but it got none of that and just devolved into woodson era ios at one of the worst spots on the floor

the two prior possessions, they came up empty, I think two shot clock violations (although one possession feature Prigioni directly under the basket, wide open, and he kicks the ball out). Running the triangle, or any system, does not mean that you adhere to it for every single play. How many end of game contested jumpers did Jordan take in the Triangle? The Triangle is meant to facilitate everyone on the floor, the Knicks had more assists yesterday then in any game last year. The reason Carmelo was left one one one (and Love or Thompson was not sent to double) was because Acy and Smith were killing the Cavs with the mid range jump shot, a product of the Triangle and a shot that I know you hate. As you know I am not a fan of the advanced stats/metrics. Also not a fan of 20-25 three point shots a game because it is the most "efficient"s shot. You can space the floor, run the occasional ISO, take the occasional 3, all within the Triangle and that is what they did.
post #18420 of 27247
I think the midrange twos vs threes efficiency is a common complaint against analytics (randy Wittman and byron scott said the same things you said)

It's not true. A midrange jumper vs a three overall is definitely less efficient if you just look at league averages. There's two big exceptions tho. If you're a freak of nature like dirk or LMA coaches should encourage closely guarded long range twos because their individual efficiency is much higher than league average. The second exception is if the jumper is wide open and the shooter is decent.

But it's incredibly stupid to play to the exceptions. Like purposefully going for contested twos without an LMA type player (hello kobe 2014-2015) is just dumb

Analytics doesn't say never take a long range two. It says take it only if it's a good shot but in the aggregate threes and layups are more efficient.

I really liked what the knicks did tho. There were a few possessions when players didn't know what the hell was going on and four player were cramped on the right block but in general I thought offense was ok and defense was good at taking advantage of opportunists. Cavs made a ton of mistakes and a lot of them looked really confused or were sloppy at setting screens and boxing people out(like that one acy putback on three cavs players)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Injuries have really sucked a lot of excitement out of the early season. OKC is going to be unwatchable, I was really curious to see if Oladipo was going to make a jump but he broke his face, Washington looked interesting but got fucked by Beal's injury....did I miss anything?

Oh, and Wade already tweaked something in his first game out mad.gif

That's what I thought at first but OKC was actually fun to watch. But watching Telfair is like watching westbrook without the excitement.



Kobe supposedly told Lin "you got to run the offense. I'm telling you to run the offense & you got to do it."

https://vine.co/v/OMF2OjKnIqm

he swears lin wasn't open
Edited by indesertum - 10/31/14 at 1:54pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread