or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1161

post #17401 of 27206
bu they only won 2 so they suck
post #17402 of 27206
just found this lol -> http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2003/10/06/daily21.html

Spurs went after Kidd before re-signing Parker in 2003 shog[1].gif
post #17403 of 27206
Dirk saves the Mavs more money with a 3-year, $25 million deal (basically the deal that Jeremy Lin got with Houston, although not as backloaded). Apparently the Rockets and Lakers were offering max deals, but Dirk turned them down. Really highlights how this CBA is screwing the players hard...Props to Dirk for being a good dude, though...
post #17404 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

just found this lol -> http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2003/10/06/daily21.html

Spurs went after Kidd before re-signing Parker in 2003 shog[1].gif

guess they won that one


or would kidd still be around had he have his minutes managed too?
post #17405 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Lol, but you're the one who disappeared for an extended time after the Lakes started down the road to long term suck. But it's glad to have you back, I missed the banter smile.gif

I wasn't posting much in the forum for awhile due to personal issues and listening to pseudo analysts indesertum and idfnl wasn't my idea of stress management.
post #17406 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

guess they won that one


or would kidd still be around had he have his minutes managed too?

more;
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ten-years-after-striking-out-with-jason-kidd--the-spurs-have-followed-tony-parker-s-lead-to-the-nba-finals-060105541.html
post #17407 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

well making the perfect advanced stats team using the salary cap available is better than just doing it willy nilly this dude looks like he plays great (hello jim dolan), but yes it won't translate perfectly
Since those are the only two possible options, I guess we'd have to go with the first one.

smile.gif
post #17408 of 27206

I keep hearing how this CBA is making the players choose between winning and getting paid, but I really don't understand how. Sure the recent CBA was a win for the owners because it lowered the players share of basketball related revenue, shortened contract lengths, and increased luxury tax payments.

 

But, there has been a salary cap in place for a long time and it has always been hard to build a contender. Under the previous CBA, how would that change Dirk's situation? He could either get paid the max on a different team (and possibly a worse team like the Lakers) or he could take a discount and help his current team pay other players. There has been a cap and it is up to each team to determine which players to use their money on.

 

Given the cap, it seems like the only choice is how teams build their rosters. GMs can choose to build a Grizzlies style team that has many good players on good salaries, or a Houston type style that tries to get max guys surrounded by small-contract guys.

 

How has this CBA actually changed this? Wouldn't Dirk have the same decision to make if they were operating under the old CBA?

post #17409 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamber View Post

I keep hearing how this CBA is making the players choose between winning and getting paid, but I really don't understand how. Sure the recent CBA was a win for the owners because it lowered the players share of basketball related revenue, shortened contract lengths, and increased luxury tax payments.

But, there has been a salary cap in place for a long time and it has always been hard to build a contender. Under the previous CBA, how would that change Dirk's situation? He could either get paid the max on a different team (and possibly a worse team like the Lakers) or he could take a discount and help his current team pay other players. There has been a cap and it is up to each team to determine which players to use their money on.

Given the cap, it seems like the only choice is how teams build their rosters. GMs can choose to build a Grizzlies style team that has many good players on good salaries, or a Houston type style that tries to get max guys surrounded by small-contract guys.

How has this CBA actually changed this? Wouldn't Dirk have the same decision to make if they were operating under the old CBA?

Because under the old system you could have as many champions as you wanted in any given year, whereas under the new CBA there cab be only one.
post #17410 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

I wasn't posting much in the forum for awhile due to personal issues and listening to pseudo analysts indesertum and idfnl wasn't my idea of stress management.

That's a shame. Reading all the lakers baby lakers posts was my idea of stress management.

But good luck with your personal problems. Wish you the best and hope it gets resolved soon.
post #17411 of 27206
You kind of answered your own question...increased luxury tax payments and a prohibitive repeater tax. Teams are much more reluctant to breach the salary cap now. Under the old CBA, I don't think Mark Cuban would have cared about going over the cap to sign Dirk to a contract that is in line with his contributions on the court.
post #17412 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post

You kind of answered your own question...increased luxury tax payments and a prohibitive repeater tax. Teams are much more reluctant to breach the salary cap now. Under the old CBA, I don't think Mark Cuban would have cared about going over the cap to sign Dirk to a contract that is in line with his contributions on the court.

But then the Mavs wouldn't have been able to sign Parsons if they resigned Dirk to a $20 mil/year contract

 

Edit: I guess I just see it as the cap is the cap and it is up to each team to determine their strategy on how to build a team. I think Dirk also took a discount on his last previous contract to help the Mavs build a contender.

post #17413 of 27206
Bird Rights. You can go over the cap to re-sign your own player. So as long as Parsons signs first (which he did), this isn't a problem.
post #17414 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

he is adjusting the value per season

he's not using a flat value for each season. his value per win rises every season

Thanks for pointing that out. Sorry to continue to beat a dead horse, but he only moves it from 2.8 to 3.1 over the course of 5 seasons (11% total). The CBA is predicated on a 4.5% increase a year which we already know is 7.5% this year and is expected to be much larger when the new TV deal is signed. A model is only as good as its assumptions and I don't think his assumptions are very good here.

EDIT: Just to add, the Z Lowe article referenced earlier says some teams are projecting a 30% jump in the cap.
Edited by UnFacconable - 7/15/14 at 3:58pm
post #17415 of 27206
btw was this posted here? it's pretty funny shog[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread