or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1137

post #17041 of 27206
qs3T83l.png
post #17042 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

It didn't cause his meltdown. It caused teams to not want to take him for fear of drama even though the drama was made up by media.
i think his manic-depression caused teams to take a pass. the story seemed to think that was irrational discrimination, but if you've ever known anyone who suffers from that illness, that's a tough argument to make. he is clearly a troubled individual and a fairly talented ballplayer, but at a certain point, when you're talking about multi-million dollar investments, the firsts overshadows the second.
post #17043 of 27206
That is also a very good point. But it seemed to me that he was talented enough that teams could've picked him up at a bargain rate because other teams wouldn't want to pay him for the exact reasons you mentioned.
post #17044 of 27206
could be. but there are always some ballplayers who have some talent but gain the reputation, justly or not, of being locker room cancers. If you're Dwight Howard, you can get away with it. if you're just another guy who can get hot every once in a while and play decent d, it's tougher. especially if the people making the decisions can attach a clinical name to your condition other than just "an asshole".
post #17045 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

during that the cavs with lebron period he was feeling really depressed so went to see a psychiatrist. he told the psychiatrist that he occasionally practices like crazy past midnight and the doctor told him he suspected manic depressive. he's seen a few more psychiatrists since then and he's said that he feels that he was actually undergoing a temporary bout of depression and that he normally practices like crazy

the bike with guns incident happened when they were having a bbq at his house for a nephew's birthday or something. his mom found the guns in the house and told delonte to move it. so delonte left with the guns in a bag on his bike to put it away in another house. the cops caught him for speeding or something and he confessed just to get everything out in the open to the cops that he had guns. the media found out and now he's a crazy person with guns speeding on a bike, probably drunk and high, fucking teammates women, and not taking his meds.

all bullshit. I've watched delonte play, no way he practiced.
post #17046 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

That is also a very good point. But it seemed to me that he was talented enough that teams could've picked him up at a bargain rate because other teams wouldn't want to pay him for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Reasonable point, but if true, someone would have scooped him up. Its a personal responsibility to control yourself, learn, adapt. I sorta believe he was worse than you excuse him for being, I mean if teams were going to give Royce White a chance, surely they'd give a proven performer a chance too. There is more to it. Look at the way Dallas very quietly dumped Odom, inner circles know stuff.

Regarding the guns, its an example of the lack of forethought. You don't do that. I don't care how close or any other mitigating factor. You don't. The team would have bent over backwards to send someone to assist, or hell, even call the cops for help in advance, something. But no, you carry a bag, speed, and then expect sympathy.
post #17047 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekunk07 View Post

all bullshit. I've watched delonte play, no way he practiced.

He was pretty well known for practicing at odd hours
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Reasonable point, but if true, someone would have scooped him up.

No. This is like economist joke "that twenty dollar on the ground doesn't exist because if it did somebody would've picked it up."
Quote:
Its a personal responsibility to control yourself, learn, adapt. I sorta believe he was worse than you excuse him for being, I mean if teams were going to give Royce White a chance, surely they'd give a proven performer a chance too. There is more to it. Look at the way Dallas very quietly dumped Odom, inner circles know stuff.

Regarding the guns, its an example of the lack of forethought. You don't do that. I don't care how close or any other mitigating factor. You don't. The team would have bent over backwards to send someone to assist, or hell, even call the cops for help in advance, something. But no, you carry a bag, speed, and then expect sympathy.

Sure but your sorta belief is baseless. If I remember correctly he wasn't carrying any drugs. He was carrying three guns in a bag that he had permits for. Maryland has weird laws regarding just transporting guns (you need a permit just to transport guns)

He says he had taken seroquel that night before he went to bed only to be awoken by his mom who told him the kids had found his legal weapons stash and had been playing with them. She told him to take them elsewhere so he did. When he realized he was dozing off and had missed the past three exits he literally rode up next to a cop and told him everything then got arrested. http://www.slamonline.com/the-magazine/features/the-real-mr-delonte-west-guns-gloria-ball-bipolar-and-all/

This "if he had been doing the right thing the team would have helped him therefore he wasn't doing the right thing" is just terrible terrible logic and hopefully you can see why
post #17048 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

This "if he had been doing the right thing the team would have helped him therefore he wasn't doing the right thing" is just terrible terrible logic and hopefully you can see why

When did I ever say what I just quoted there? I mean, its one thing to paraphrase but to completely change my thought into one that suits your narrative is not going to fly.

Re-read what I said. If he'd used forethought, he could have asked the team for help. How you spun that into this "right thing" circular logic is beyond me.
post #17049 of 27206
Gordon Hayward agrees to 4 year, $63 million max contract from Charlotte. Utah has 3 days to match. Yeeeeeeeeeesh, that's a lot of money...

Also, good article about the the double standard regarding max contracts...

http://grantland.com/features/nba-miami-heat-double-standard-contract-sacrifice-lebron-james-chris-bosh-houston-rockets-free-agency/
post #17050 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post

Gordon Hayward agrees to 4 year, $63 million max contract from Charlotte. Utah has 3 days to match. Yeeeeeeeeeesh, that's a lot of money...

Heh... good player, but fuck will that contract be a laughingstock expiring trade chip in 2 years.
post #17051 of 27206
There's the potential for that contract to be Ben Gordon/Charlie Villenueva bad...
post #17052 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

When did I ever say what I just quoted there? I mean, its one thing to paraphrase but to completely change my thought into one that suits your narrative is not going to fly.

Re-read what I said. If he'd used forethought, he could have asked the team for help. How you spun that into this "right thing" circular logic is beyond me.

Literally nowhere in your post did you say he could have asked for help. Rereading I don't even understand what you're trying to argue.

What forethought? He should've known beforehand kids would find his hidden gun stash and play with then and he shouldn't have taken medication just before he slept just in case that happened?
post #17053 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Literally nowhere in your post did you say he could have asked for help. Rereading I don't even understand what you're trying to argue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

The team would have bent over backwards to send someone to assist

nod[1].gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

What forethought? He should've known beforehand kids would find his hidden gun stash and play with then and he shouldn't have taken medication just before he slept just in case that happened?


No. That's its a bad idea to ride a motorcycle with a bag of guns. Who knows what really happened in advance of that. My point was simply that he should have thought about it, assessed the risks, and used his resources at hand to avoid a public incident. Pretty obvious stuff.
post #17054 of 27206
Boston, Brooklyn, and Cleveland involved in a trade that will send Jarrett Jack and Sergey Karasev to the Nets, Tyler Zeller, Marcus Thornton, and a future first-round pick (from the Cavs) to the Celtics, and a future second-round pick from either the Nets or Celtics to the Cavs. The main goal of the trade for Cleveland is to clear cap space to sign BronBron. They must really think they have a shot...
post #17055 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post

They must really think they have a shot...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread